10+ Year Old Account

Ret Paladin: Double Jeopardy and Divine Storm question

I've been messing around with prioritizing Judgement(I know, but I just can't spell it as "Judgment") over Crusader Strike when I've got the Double Jeopardy buff and I notice that it does quite a bit more damage most of the time, though I think I need to test it more. My question for the DJ glyph is, should I prioritize this way or not? Seems to offer more damage/dps so long as I can keep the DJ buff up.

Also, about Divine Storm and holy power priority. I've been playing around with 3 HP vs. 5 HP DS in AoE and I find myself doing MUCH more AoE damage when I prioritize it at 3 HP over 5 since aoe damage normally would take priority over single target in a given situation where you'd be fighting multiple targets(4+). So my question about DS is, should it be prioritized at 3 HP instead of 5 when dealing with aoe situations?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakpoth View Post
    I find it unreasonable to ask for other than obvious reasons, when the reason obviously is the obvious reason.
    Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch.../dalaran/ryuji

Song that's currently stuck in my head: pretty much anything from Dance With the Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Re: Double Jeopardy. I believe you should, as long as you can keep the buff up. Reason being, while under AW, we do prioritize J over CS. And since Double Jeopardy gives +20% damage to a different target, I think you would also prioritize J.

About DS, I think it depends on how fast the adds die. For fights like Mel'Jarak where you want sustained AoE, 5 HP DS will win out in the longer term. For short fights, 3HP is more 'bursty'.

Regarding judgment, well I think it all depends on your weapon. If your CS is going to cause more than that 20% then you prioritize that. I'm not sure at what weapon/gear level there break point is but I believe that if you've got an LFR Shin'Ka you'll be wanting to use CS - which at my gear level (478) seems to do pretty much the same damage as Hammer of Wrath.

With regards to the Divine Storm question, well that one I think relies on spec actually. I'm not sure about the other talents but it seems with DP that you play the slot machine so much that you're best off almost always hitting a HP using ability at 3. Again, these are all just my opinions and I have no math to back it up.

10+ Year Old Account
    The CS over judgment priority is because of the shorter CD on CS granting much much more HP over the course of a long(er) fight than Judgment possibly can and the more HP your generate the more spenders you use giving you higher DPS and a higher overall damage output over the course of a fight. However on fights like Mel'jarak where a significant portion of the fight is spent with a great deal of adds up it may yield a higher overall damage output if your keeping 100% uptime on your Double Jeopardy buff, but even then with that many adds even using CS to build more HP faster resulting in even more DS could make that pointless. This is something that definitely needs testing to be ruled effective or not.

---------- Post added 2012-12-07 at 08:36 PM ----------

The CS over judgment priority is because of the shorter CD on CS granting much much more HP over the course of a long(er) fight than Judgment possibly can and the more HP your generate the more spenders you use giving you higher DPS and a higher overall damage output over the course of a fight. However on fights like Mel'jarak where a significant portion of the fight is spent with a great deal of adds up it may yield a higher overall damage output if your keeping 100% uptime on your Double Jeopardy buff, but even then with that many adds even using CS to build more HP faster resulting in even more DS could make that pointless. This is something that definitely needs testing to be ruled effective or not.

To add to what Shelly and Fhi said a little bit about 3 or 5, I've always found that using spenders at 3 during ANY cooldown or buff (trinkets, AW, etc) gets your damage output and DPS significantly higher because your using them more and also fitting more in as opposed to waiting out for 5 then spend, rinse repeat. I've not really found any significance to using 3 over 5 and vice versa under "normal" circumstances. I would like to add that there should be some common sense used in there as well. If your not gonna have any more CDs before the boss dies and he will be dieing very shortly, in most cases it would be smarter to use your spenders at 3HP so you can get in as many as possible before the boss croaks or for example coming out of the spirit realm on the Spirit Binder encounter with the his buff.