NPC Scan; how to save Cache

Back in October, I made a thread in which peoples' suggestions had worked for the most part, but as of the recent tools patch, you can no longer edit the cache file to be read-only; the launcher will auto-"fix" your files if any of them get modified.

So, anyone have any ideas how to "save" a clean creaturecache file, or know of another way to keep NPCScan non-cached upon exiting the game?

Oh, and if you DELETE the file, it will refresh it. The only way I got a new cache is deleting the old one, then exiting game as soon as I got to the login screen which is only 10000x more annoying than simply deleting the file (which was bad enough).
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

I just set CCleaner to delete it every time my PC is started up. I know that doesn't make it so that you can constantly be scanning even if NPC scan has gone off during the same session but it will save you the hassle of ever having to delete the file after you've started up WoW.

Only give your user account NTFS read-only access to that file?

Didn't see it mentioned in the other thread...that's what I would try first. That way, WoW cannot modify the contents of that file. It wouldn't solve the temp-cache that the game maintains, but it would prevent it from being written on logout.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    Murder can be justified and to a certain extent I believe genocide can be justified aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindark View Post
    Only give your user account NTFS read-only access to that file?

Didn't see it mentioned in the other thread...that's what I would try first. That way, WoW cannot modify the contents of that file. It wouldn't solve the temp-cache that the game maintains, but it would prevent it from being written on logout.
    Hmm... Worth a shot...

No, I know nothing can solve the temp-cache problem, but I'm not too worried about that. Having it read-only was SO nice when farming rares as exiting the game and coming back takes < 30s.

Now if you could break down how one sets their account "NTFS read-only access", I'd be mucho appreciado (Kinda comp-tarded when it comes to the nitty gritty >.>)
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Can you set which NPCs to scan for and which to ignore? I'm going for Glorious! and don't care about the ones I've already killed.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    Hmm... Worth a shot...

No, I know nothing can solve the temp-cache problem, but I'm not too worried about that. Having it read-only was SO nice when farming rares as exiting the game and coming back takes < 30s.

Now if you could break down how one sets their account "NTFS read-only access", I'd be mucho appreciado (Kinda comp-tarded when it comes to the nitty gritty >.>)
    The process varies slightly between operating systems, but it's mostly:

Right click on the file and click properties. Go to the security tab. You'll probably see three groups or usernames in there. SYSTEM, your user account, Administrators. On your username, you can actually just Deny Write. Removing the Allow permissions requires a few extra steps, but isn't necessary if you Deny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    Murder can be justified and to a certain extent I believe genocide can be justified aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by MrKnubbles View Post
    Can you set which NPCs to scan for and which to ignore? I'm going for Glorious! and don't care about the ones I've already killed.
    Unfortunately no. If it's cached (if you saw it at least once before the last time you deleted it/last patch), it will never go off.

---------- Post added 2012-12-08 at 06:23 AM ----------

Right click on the file and click properties. Go to the security tab. You'll probably see three groups or usernames in there. SYSTEM, your user account, Administrators. On your username, you can actually just Deny Write. Removing the Allow permissions requires a few extra steps, but isn't necessary if you Deny.
    Thanks! Will try this and report back when I find it's good!

---------- Post added 2012-12-08 at 07:52 AM ----------

Nope. The dumb new tools resets the file completely in the same way even if I do this method.

Ffs, why does Blizzard have to push my buttons in 20 different ways on EVERY patch, no matter how big or small? Now even the fucking Tools patches are irritating me

I run a simple .bat script to delete my cache every time I start the game.

Create a .txt file with notepad and type in the following:
    @echo off
    del Cache\WDB\enUS\creaturecache.wdb
    del Cache\WDB\enUS\npccache.wdb
    start Wow-64.exe
    Save it as "cache.bat", And place it in your wow folder.
    Then you can make a shortcut and place it anywhere you like and add the wow icon to it. It'll be just like starting wow normally, but it deletes the cache files.

If you play on EU, you will have to change it to "enGB" I believe. And if you don't use the 64 bit client, you will have to change the name of the .exe file.

Might not be the right solution for you, but I've found it helps a ton. Especially since my wow on an SSD, so exiting and logging back in takes no time at all.

Quote Originally Posted by harizon View Post
    I run a simple .bat script to delete my cache every time I start the game.

Create a .txt file with notepad and type in the following:

Save it as "cache.bat", And place it in your wow folder.
    Then you can make a shortcut and place it anywhere you like and add the wow icon to it. It'll be just like starting wow normally, but it deletes the cache files.

If you play on EU, you will have to change it to "enGB" I believe. And if you don't use the 64 bit client, you will have to change the name of the .exe file.

Might not be the right solution for you, but I've found it helps a ton. Especially since my wow on an SSD, so exiting and logging back in takes no time at all.
    I use something like this as well, just a bit different.

Code:
    @echo off

set wowdir=C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft
    set wowloc=enUS
    set wowexe="World of Warcraft Launcher.exe"

del "%wowdir%\Cache\WDB\%wowloc%\creaturecache.wdb" /q
    del "%wowdir%\Cache\WDB\%wowloc%\npccache.wdb" /q
    start "" /D"%wowdir%" %wowexe%

I guess mine is a bit more complicated.. if you try mine, you'll have to change the lines accordingly.

If the Launcher turns off the read-only flag, why not just bypass the launcher? I've been doing that for years. If the game needs an update it will just boot you out back to the launcher, so it's not like bypassing the launcher will get you stuck on patch day.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Mine is the simplest of the batch files, I think. Just put it in your WoW folder, and point the shortcut at it instead of at the launcher.

And yes, instead of deleting specific files, I just wipe out the whole Cache folder. It's only a couple hundred Kb, less than a megabyte usually. I don't even notice the network traffic needed to download that much data. (just looked - my Cache folder is currently 492 Kb - less than half a megabyte - and that's after playing 9+ hours today in a single session).

Code:
    @echo off
    rd /s /q .\Cache\
    "World of Warcraft Launcher.exe"

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    Back in October, I made a thread in which peoples' suggestions had worked for the most part, but as of the recent tools patch, you can no longer edit the cache file to be read-only; the launcher will auto-"fix" your files if any of them get modified.

So, anyone have any ideas how to "save" a clean creaturecache file, or know of another way to keep NPCScan non-cached upon exiting the game?

Oh, and if you DELETE the file, it will refresh it. The only way I got a new cache is deleting the old one, then exiting game as soon as I got to the login screen which is only 10000x more annoying than simply deleting the file (which was bad enough).
    Download CC cleaner and set it to delete the cache folder when windows boots up, problem solved.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

I also use a .bat script at start up and try to remember to run it whenever I close WoW, but I use the Curse Client to update my addons and then I do prefer to go through the launcher. Does anyone know if there's a way to change the target file for the Curse Client to run when you press the play game button?

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AmadisAnguiano View Post
    I also use a .bat script at start up and try to remember to run it whenever I close WoW, but I use the Curse Client to update my addons and then I do prefer to go through the launcher. Does anyone know if there's a way to change the target file for the Curse Client to run when you press the play game button?
    I can't find one, Amadis - I searched through both the Registry and all the files I could figure out in the (rather hidden) folder that Curse Client uses.

Oh well, thank you very much for looking. =)

*Bump because this is still an unresolved issue*

Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    Download CC cleaner and set it to delete the cache folder when windows boots up, problem solved.
    Read the last sentence that you quoted. "If you delete the file, it will refresh it", so your suggestion doesn't solve anything

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but it refreshes with an EMPTY cache, that it then fills up as you play. The next time you reboot, bam, instant empty cache. Or in my case, every time I start WoW from the icon on my desktop, instant empty cache.