Poll: Which Era Was The Best?

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by justforthis123 View Post
    well indeed wotlk is better than mop but i dont understand your comparison .. Cata is indeed better than tbc.

So ?
    you can't do, what? Who?

Deleted
    WotLK wasn't as bad as Cata or MoP, but i'm really shocked to see it has the majority vote on the best era :S

Imo wotlk was the beginning of the end for WoW, it all went downhill from there. I'm willing to bet it only has the majority vote because the vast majority of players joined in that expansion and just voted for it because they never played Classic/TBC.

WotLK had a few nice moments, but let's not forget it brought in laughably easy heroics, abundance of welfare gear, the dreaded dungeon finder & a whole year without any substantial content update.
    Last edited by mmoc3784f78918; 2012-12-20 at 11:25 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moltor View Post
    Wotlk > MoP > Classic > TBC > Cata

TBC is overrated as you like, i appreciate some of the stuff was cool (i am guilty of not seeing it all) but it was the reason why i took a break from WoW at that point.
    Quite true.

Even though i'd put cata before classic .

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blimey View Post
    WotLK wasn't as bad as Cata or MoP, but i'm really shocked to see it has the majority vote on the best era :S

Imo wotlk was the beginning of the end for WoW, it all went downhill from there. I'm willing to bet it only has the majority vote because the vast majority of players joined in that expansion and just voted for it because they never played Classic/TBC.

WotLK had a few nice moments, but let's not forget it brought in laughably easy heroics, abundance of welfare gear, the dreaded dungeon finder & a whole year without any substantial content update.
    MMO-champ isn't a majority. :P

OT: MoP is great, different, but great.
    Thing is, there are always people who'll complain, this expansion, it's you and a few others, next expansion might be perfect for you, and maybe I'll hate it.

Good thing everything's subjective on this matter. :P

WoTLK as best expansion is a joke. People are shouting "rosy-tinted glases!" to those saying they liked Vanilla, but it sounds like 'rosy-tinted glasses' for those saying WoTLK as well. Must have been about they time they started playing. Wrath had the worst patching schedule, death-by-dailies were born, ridiculous over-use of phasing, etc. Sure, there are good things about Wrath, but it is by far not the best.

TBC.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post

TBC.
    Thats rose tinted glasses at its max power.

Sorry but nothing can beat Wotlk and MoP is getting better every day .

MoP > Cata > WotLK > TBC > Vanilla

It's no coincidence that it's in chronological order.

I had a ton of fun in TBC, sure. It's when I really played hardcore, found my guild, etc. But the fact is the game just gets better and better as we go through the years. Always improving, always changing for the better. Sure, you can point to individual design mistakes and try to pass them off as ultimate reasons for an expansion being terrible, but overall each new expansion is better than the prior ones.

Vanilla was where it started and is where a lot of nostalgia is. The game was brand new, so nobody was bored/tired of it. So I get why a lot of people say it was the best time. Not because it's objectively the best (it's really, really not), but because they just weren't bored of the game that early on. It was all new and exciting. But come on; hybrids ONLY healing, Warriors ONLY tanking, 40 man raids, terrible boss designs ('tank and spank and occasionally dispel something' yay), I could go on.

TBC, again, a starting point for a lot of people. So a lot of nostalgia is here too. But again, while improvements were made, there's still a lot of dumb design decisions from this period of time. Flying mounts (that still plague us to this day), most DPS classes being one button spambots, Paladins being unable to AoE heal, hybrid DPS doing terrible DPS and only buffing the pure classes, etc.

WotLK fixed issues from TBC, but kept a few still: hybrid tax on DPS, running the same raid multiple times per week leading to crazy burnout (ToC 4 times per week, /wrists), etc.

Cata, again, more issues fixed and introducing some great mechanics (reforging is pro, Transmog, etc.). Small raids though due to the classic world revamp, but hey.

MoP is improving yet again: brilliant raids, item level upgrades, an absolute ton of stuff to do every time you log in, almost never running out of stuff to do...

The game constantly improves. Vanilla was the worst point of the game. MoP is the best.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Insarius View Post
    OT: MoP is great, different, but great.
    It really isn't.

If it's so great, why are there less subscribers than Cata, which is widely considered the worst expansion?

it depends....

my favourite expansion is probably mop, just because of the storytelling (5.1 questline, wrathion etc) and the design

my favourite era was wotlk, because it was "my time". joined a guild at the end of bc after years of casualism and p.u.g-ing raids occasionally. i started raiding kara, then in wotlk we had a great time together until the breakup in icc due to some new members taking over the guild, until then we just had a great time. once most of the guild even met in bavaria, you can imagine how that ended

Burning Crusade =P
    First time in WoW I hit max level, first raids and first arena experiences... nearly ruined my schooling though XD

10+ Year Old Account
    I voted for Wrath for the simple reason that it was the most all round fun I've had in an expansion.

MoP is still too new so not going to vote for that. During classic my play time went in a cycle of playing->quitting->playing->quitting so I never played for long enough in any continuous time to form a solid opinion.

I loved TBC, but there were bits that really pissed me off. As for Cata, I have to give it thumbs up for the revamp of 1-60 zones. That was a huge effort and I have to give the developers credit for it.

I believed that the BC period was the best. Notably the Black Temple and ZA patches. The Gear progression needed to get into raids was the best blizzard has done. The game was so good then.

When people say nostalgia in WoW I think of this period every time. I loved leveling my new alt and having to go HCs and go to karazhan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Justforthis123 View Post
    Thats rose tinted glasses at its max power.

Sorry but nothing can beat Wotlk and MoP is getting better every day .
    In terms of features added I'm sure most people will agree that the current expansion is the best, so when cata came out with its features people thought "hey, these features are nice, this is a good xpac" and so forth. Every time a new expansion came out it added some useful things to the game. But most people will also have a favorite expansion in terms of how fun they had playing, which I guess would be considered to be nostalgia. I'm very sure your experience of wotlk now is affected by that too, since in terms of game mechanics, amounts of things to do etc. it can't compare to MoP. So yeah, claiming that others have rose tinted glasses when you yourself most likely suffer from nostalgia too, as most of us probably do, is pointless.
    Last edited by BHD; 2012-12-20 at 11:49 AM.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

15+ Year Old Account
    I went with an era perspective and voted classic because then everything was new, fresh and so exiting, had SO much fun then. Though with the BC expansion I found the game mechanics and stuff better so its tricky to say what to vote. Definately Classic or vanilla based on fun or software.

Funnily I ended up choosing WotLK. Even though on a personal level I preferred TBC, some of the best times I had in game were in WotLK.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    In terms of features added I'm sure most people will agree that the current expansion is the best, so when cata came out with its features people thought "hey, these features are nice, this is a good xpac" and so forth. Every time a new expansion came out it added some useful things to the game. But most people will also have a favorite expansion in terms of how fun they had playing, which I guess would be considered to be nostalgia. I'm very sure your experience of wotlk now is affected by that too, since in terms of game mechanics, amounts of things to do etc. it can't compare to MoP. So yeah, claiming that others have rose tinted glasses when you yourself most likely suffer from nostalgia too, as most of us probably do, is pointless.
    I am probably the only one objective here, so yeah i am not affected by your kind's disease.

MoP is indeed getting better every day, thats why i specified it.

Its just the beginning against a full experienced expansion like wotlk.

No doubts that MoP will get to the top pretty fast .. as soon as i can drink that garrosh's blood every week thanks to the raid , trust me it will be awesome .

Deleted
    1. BC
    2. Wrath

348. Cata + MoP

Didn´t play vanilla so didn´t rank it

Deleted
    1. BC
    2. Wrath
    3. MoP
    4. vanilla
    5. Cataclysm.

Sure feature wise and in terms of convenience the later expansions are the best.
    But WoW was for me more than just that. When i started the game i had fun doing things in a group. I knew from the start there are things you can do alone, harder things which require a small group and the ultimate things a raid group.
    It built up slowly with small group quests, bigger group quests, dungeons and later raids.

I knew when i dont have the time to stay online for x hrs straight, then dungeons or raids were not things for me, same when i didnt want to play with other people.
    With that attitude you had alts, reps, professions or pvp.

IMO the paradigma "everyone can see everything" was a failure and with that all these convenience changes.
    I still remember dire maul runs with 4 friends and doing a kings run or DM west which could take a while (and preparation).
    Doing something in the same timeframe is 4-5 heroics aoe spam fest today, you think you will remember anything from it?

If you vote Classic or TBC doesnt change much IMO since for me you can divide WoW into pre Wotlk and everything after that. The paradigma of the game changed at that point.
    "A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell!"

WoW leveling/heroic/LFR difficulty in one line of code:
    do {press (AnyKey)} until MobHealth=0;

Voted Wrath, however with time MoP might outgrow it, it's off to a good start so far.
    My addons:
    Announce Interrupts: Announces in chat when you interrupt a spell.
    Tol Barad Reminder: Reminds you to queue for Tol Barad by printing a message when the battle is approaching.
    EasyLogger: Turns on /combatlog inside raid instances, and off outside.
    Simple class resource bars: Paladin Rogue Shaman Monk Priest