10+ Year Old Account

how facebook makes money

how come mark zuckerberg is so rich when facebook is free ? how do they make money on it ? only by selling peoples info to government ?

ps: this is mark zuckerberg
    <Snip> No it wasn't
    Last edited by Anakso; 2012-12-11 at 11:46 AM.

Deleted
    Ads.

10char

10+ Year Old Account
    by selling adspace? just a guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, this seems legit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to assume you're not trolling, even though you blatantly are.
    The Wikipedia article you linked is Christopher Poole aka "Moot" the founder of 4chan.
    Both websites make money off of companies paying to advertise on their site.
    Heavily trafficked sites like 4chan and facebook get a lot of hits everyday. The advertisement philosophy is something like; if someone see's an add for something, when they go to the store or they go to buy something, if they see a more familiar brand they are more likely to buy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khatolic View Post
    how come mark zuckerberg is so rich when facebook is free ? how do they make money on it ? only by selling peoples info to government ?

http://tinyurl.com/cayvysa
    apps.

p.s. are you sure Christopher_Poole_at_XOXO_Festival_September_2012.jpg is Mark Zuckerberg?

Deleted
    That wasn't funny.

Games, Adverts & Selling User Information to Third Parties.

10+ Year Old Account
    Certainly ads. If certain popular WoW-streamers get oodles of money from adspace from streaming their gameplay and having lots of viewers, think about the same kind of money influx... but on the largest social networking site in the world. That kind of adspace is like Superbowl adspace. Super valuable because so many people view it.

---------- Post added 2012-12-11 at 05:44 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    apps.

p.s. are you sure Christopher_Poole_at_XOXO_Festival_September_2012.jpg is Mark Zuckerberg?
    Good call. xD I looked at the picture after you posted this and was like "... wow, hell no."

THIS is Mark Zuckerberg.

Reminds me of the comic that compares facebook to a slaughter house, they're both "free" because you are the product.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Well he's right to a certain extent, Facebook doesn't make a lot of money compared to their stock price. Most people that know anything about the stock market will agree Zuck's wealth at the moment is greatly exaggerated and will at some point in the future decline together with the value of Facebook stocks. With Facebook ads ithe way they are now Facebook just isn't able to leverage the amount of traffic it has in an efficient manner.

But yeah they have ads all over their site from sponsored stories in your news feed to those things to the right nobody notices and companies pay to have them there. I managed a few ad campaigns before and the options you have to select your target audience are quite interesting, although the results are just not on par with other options like AdWords.

Quote Originally Posted by Khatolic View Post

<Snip> No it wasn't
    He is rich because of his stocks in Facebook, which is still hugely overvalued imo. Their revenue last time I looked was quite pathetic for the user base they have. Their share price has dropped since they were offered(until this month apparently) probably for the exact reasons as your question: how do they make money from their users? Targeted ads is one thing but they have so much more, data on users which maybe only google can compete with, once they get an idea of how to capitalise on that it will be huge which is what investors are waiting for I guess.

For a long time I thought google sold user data, they don't. It is their bread and butter, their market edge, facebook is likely the same.

Selling stocks that were rediculesly overvalued. IPO at $38, it was a robbery and people still bought it. It's been 6 months now and it's still down at 27-28 $. It really did blow my mind. Once they present ideas to create revenue that actually is promising I will consider buying.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

The primary draw to advertisers isn't the number of visitors, it's the very specific level of targeting available. With the exception of Google, no other site has access to as much information about any individual user, including his interests, his demographic, his actions, his history as well as all of this for every person in his network. It's advertising moved to the next level and Facebook is the only place selling it.