Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I'm not sure I'd say that I fear death or not.

The one thing for sure is that I get somewhat freaked out about what will happen to the world once I no longer am there to witness anything happening. I just don't know what will happen and I doubt I will ever be able to say that I'm not freaked out about dying.

I'm not talking about the idea that the world only exists because I'm there to witness it or anything like that, but I'm talking about it more in general.

For example, say there was a teleporter that would let you go from NY to France in a split-second, but it does it by way to exactly copying you to France and then destroying the old body (either by way of preventing cloning, or as a by-product of the transfer mechanism). Would you use it? I sure as hell wouldn't because even though there's a copy of me over in France, that me is not actually me. The me in France would certainly assume that he is me as he is an exact copy, but my personal consciousness wouldn't persist through the transfer and that scares the hell out of me.

Anyway: random musings.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do not fear death. I'm sort of looking forward to the end of stress, frustration, exasperation and everything else in this world that irritates me.

I fear aging. Old bodies are disgusting and treacherous. I'd be just fine with dying around 65 years old.

For myself? No.

For the ones I love? Yes. I have an elderly dog and I'm terrified of the day when it's time for him to go...I don't know how it will end, if it'll be calm and peaceful or if he's going to be in too much pain for me to get a proper farewell. I've had him for 13 years...I mourned a dog I had for 2 months for so long...I'm not sure how to survive the loss of this one.

My parents same thing, I'm already worrying about the day when they'll leave this life, and leave me behind.

Deleted
    no use fearing the inevitable.
    I have absolutely no fear of death, There is no use fearing somthing that will happen to everyone sooner or later. I do however fear the way I will die. There are several ways I do not want go, Fire, Drowning, in excruciating pain for example. Given the choice I would sooner have a bullet through the top of my head and just have my lights switched off.

I like the way Christopher Hitchens put it once. It's kind of like we're all in a massive party and it will come to us all that one day someone will come along and tap us on the shoulder and tell us we have to leave. Sucks doesn't it? But then imagine the alternative. What if nobody told you had to leave in fact you had to stay at the party for ever and that you had to enjoy yourself. I don't know about anyone else but for me that's a fate worse than death.

Deleted
    "End ? The journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it.

"See what?"

"White shores... and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise."

"Well that isn't so bad" (I am super sorry, couldn't resist!)

I am not sure if I fear death, or even should. When I am old and more wiser maybe then I know, but right now I do. Being gone from this world would hurt others and me and that's nothing I want, ask me again in 60 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyboard Warrior View Post
    I don't fear death itself, more like the way it could happen. Drowning scares the shit out of me.
    Same here. I got pulled under some rapids when I was like 5-6 and it freaked me out, had a fear of drowning ever since. Also suffocating in a tiny space, the thought of being buried alive for example terrifies me.

The unknown of death makes me afraid and curious at the same time though. I'm enjoying life for the time being but I'm honestly kind of excited to die just to see what happens. I bet it'll be something boring though, the Hindus/Buddhists are probably right and I'll just come back as another dude.

It's easy to say you don't fear death when it's not looming over you. Death is final it is the END, I think that's pretty scary tbh. When the reaper comes for me I want to face him with a laugh on my lips and a welcoming embrace but whether that happens well......at some point I'll find out hahaha.

I don't want to die, but I'm not scared to. At all. When I get old, that will be the only thing I have left to do that I haven't done yet
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

Deleted
    I do not fear death, death is inevitable, it is part of what we are, it is not to be feared. This life is all there is, there is nothing else, no afterlife, no soul, no void, no nothing. We are purely physical in nature, a collection of electrical and chemical signials stored in physical matter.

Nothing we do matters, nothing lasts, nothing has any impact in the grand scale of existance.

Some find that depressing, i find it merely truthful, and strangely comforting. We are all equal. Accomplish what you want, and do it now, there is no tomorrow, but no matter what, life is meaningless. Embrace it.

Death is not to be feared, for you are losing nothing of consequence.

Fear of dying is entirely understandable but fear of death is just irrational - blame the English language for perpetuating this confusion by allowing a sentence such as "he is dead" when death negates the existence of any "he" who could be dead.

Quote Originally Posted by M. Aurelius
    He who fears death either fears the loss of sensation or a different kind of sensation. But if thou shalt have no sensation, neither wilt thou feel any harm; and if thou shalt acquire another kind of sensation, thou wilt be a different kind of living being and thou wilt not cease to live.
    ... or as one of my teachers paraphrased the above quote:
    If you are then death is not.
    If death is then you are not.

The act of dying can be painful and frightful - but once death has set in there is no subject left to experience it.
    Last edited by florestan; 2012-12-12 at 12:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I love how people say they don't fear death. Remember that quote that said "there are no atheists in foxholes"

I don't fear death because it's inevitable all we can do is delay it but what I do fear is the possible immense pain leading to death since we don't know how or when it happens.

I don't fear death. Yeah it would suck, but it's going to happen eventually.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't fear death, I do fear dying young though, or losing a loved one.

On the topic of death though,

Gah, I see this too often.

How do people just let their family member sit there? A vegetable.

They can't speak, move, or breath on their own yet you have them sitting there, watching you, every day.

Why not just let them leave and get it over with? How do you know they want to sit there every day and do nothing, you don't. But i'm pretty damn sure 99% of people would rather be dead than be a vegetable for however long you keep them alive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    The universe has so many galaxies that even the fucking plot to star wars has a statistical chance to have existed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarhym
    Ghostcrawler called me up last night and he was all like, "hi." And I was like "I'm...

Im not afraid of death, i might be afraid of the situation that leads to death, like being in a collapsing building, or going down in a plane, drowning, being eaten, burning to death, or choking. But death, the state of death, i do not fear.

LIFE IS HARD, DEATH IS PEACEFUL, ITS JUST THE TRANSITION THATS A BITCH.

i don't fear death itself. however, i fear all the kickass stuff technology will advance long after i'm gone. ex: my great grand parents didn't really know cordless phones let alone smartphones with google earth 3D, or ipads, laptops, for that matter cars, my great grand parents grew up on a farm, and no joke rode a horse and buggy to school as kids.

so i don't fear death(the act, i do fear dying to a terrible illness like a very bad stage4 cancer) but i do fear missing out on all the cool stuff humanity will accomplish for the rest of its existance. 12-21-2012 so say the mayans lol

Well no.. But I wouldn't wan to die now. I feel like I haven't lived enough so maybe I need to change that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, I do. I want to put it off for as long as possible.

BUT I don't work myself up over it and I just don't think about it.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Life is a roller coaster you just got to ride it, ALL NIGHT LONG! I like that song ;D

I don't fear it for myself, only for the people I care about. Always had a sort of meh attitude for things like this.