View Poll Results: Should America go metric?

Voters
1231. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and I'm American.

    320 26.00%
  • No, and I'm American.

    144 11.70%
  • Yes, and I'm NOT American.

    741 60.19%
  • No, and I'm NOT American.

    26 2.11%
Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ...
35
43
44
45
46
47
... LastLast
  1. #881
    Quote Originally Posted by Echolith View Post
    Yes, this would be awesome. I'm from Sweden, we have english as a main course though all of our school years. And if everyone had this, there wouldn't be any language barriers left to argue about. Also, metric with english to all!
    Agree, that would be awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavoo View Post
    Well I do have a penis attached to me as well but I dont know 'a lot' about it, I dont even know how it tastes. Maybe you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    Everyone who does not miss Vanilla has no heart. Whoever wishes it back has no brain.

  2. #882
    Quote Originally Posted by Echolith View Post
    Yes, this would be awesome. I'm from Sweden, we have english as a main course though all of our school years. And if everyone had this, there wouldn't be any language barriers left to argue about. Also, metric with english to all!
    I will not cut myself from my culture by adopting English as my main language. There is no adequation between a language and a measurement system. One carries an entire culture, the other is merely a tool. American culture will not be overly changed by adopting the metric system, while my culture will be pretty much altered by switching to English. If it's only about knowing English for business or to simply communicate with other countries, I would say that it is already pretty much the case anyway.

    Anyway, a world where everyone would be speaking English would be boring.

  3. #883
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    I will not cut myself from my culture by adopting English as my main language. There is no adequation between a language and a measurement system. One carries an entire culture, the other is merely a tool. American culture will not be overly changed by adopting the metric system, while my culture will be pretty much altered by switching to English. If it's only about knowing English for business or to simply communicate with other countries, I would say that it is already pretty much the case anyway.

    Anyway, a world where everyone would be speaking English would be boring.
    just like if everybody used metric.

  4. #884
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAccuracy View Post
    Hectometer(hm) = 100 meters
    However it is rarely used.
    Tell that to Usain Bolt.

    Excuse my bad english, but it´s better than your spanish or catalan.

  5. #885
    Bloodsail Admiral Shadee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Jersey shore night club
    Posts
    1,168
    It will be a cold day in hell before I use the devil's metric system.

  6. #886
    Herald of the Titans zephid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,767
    Metric is better in every way.

  7. #887
    The US was suppose to convert to metric a long time ago. Unfortunately, they only taught it (and still teach it), but never actually converted to it. It would be very difficult to convert for many people, specifically distances/height, speed, and weight, because its not commonly used or seen when these numbers are given in the American measurements. The easiest way would be exposing people to them by putting both on signs, speedometers, weights, scales, and other devices that give this info. They already put the metric conversions on foods and beverages, but not cooking instructions. It would make things easier if they tried to provide both, while retraining everyone to use metric.

  8. #888
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessani View Post
    The easiest way would be exposing people to them by putting both on signs, speedometers, weights, scales, and other devices that give this info.
    This is already done.

  9. #889
    I disappeared for a while then, forgot I was going to respond here lol

    This is why we should NOT use metric.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6xJfP7-HCc
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

  10. #890
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    622
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    I will not cut myself from my culture by adopting English as my main language. There is no adequation between a language and a measurement system. One carries an entire culture, the other is merely a tool. American culture will not be overly changed by adopting the metric system, while my culture will be pretty much altered by switching to English. If it's only about knowing English for business or to simply communicate with other countries, I would say that it is already pretty much the case anyway.

    Anyway, a world where everyone would be speaking English would be boring.
    The post you're quoting isn't suggesting English should be your main language. Or rather, it isn't suggesting it should be your mothertongue. It's suggesting that you should get taught it from the day you start school so you can communicate equally on an international level. (The again, people who read/watch more things in English will always be better than people who never are exposed to it).
    Nothing about "Hey, stop using German, use English!" Rather "Okay, school time. Now it's time for you to learn a second language which works when you work and/or travell!"

  11. #891
    Mechagnome Fitzgerald77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    749
    I'm so glad Canada uses metric. No way I could stand using QUARTS and fuckin miles lmao
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3

  12. #892
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitzgerald77 View Post
    I'm so glad Canada uses metric. No way I could stand using QUARTS and fuckin miles lmao
    sounds like somebody is 2 legort 2 quart.

  13. #893
    As an American I really wish that we would do so on a major scale. I use it in practice, but I still can't eyeball it quite as well.
    Ultraxion yells: I am the beginning of buttonclickers...the button which blots out my wipe mechanic...the click which tolls my doom...
    Ultraxion yells: For this moment ALONE was I made. Look upon your button, mortals, and click!

  14. #894
    I say we can go ahead and switch to Metric, but save Fahrenheit and the date system. Those aren't measures of Metric anyways, are they? (I'm probably wrong, my science knowledge is next to nil).

    Fahrenheit is better because it gives more specific temperatures and they also "seem" more extreme. You tell someone it's 105 degrees outside they're bound to do a double-take and prepare themselves. Tell them it's 40 degrees Celsius and it just doesn't seem that major. Just in my mind, anyways. Also apparently the difference between 105 and 95 degrees Fahrenheit is only 5 degrees Celsius. That's the difference between a miserable afternoon and a fairly mild one (In Arizona anyways). You can't mark that with only 5 numbers!

    Date system, I don't know, it would be impossible for me to switch to saying the date first. Our system has always made more sense because if someone asks you the date, you're probably going to say 'December 21st' and not 'the 21st of December.' Just my two cents anyways.

  15. #895
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    622
    Well, you've got the date system you have because of how you in English generally say December 21st. But in many other languages you actually do it the other way around. But you're right in it not being an SI system.

    As for insane degrees. When you've grown up with Celsius since you where a toddler 40 degree's is pretty insane. Saying it's 100 Degree's out almost make's me go "huh" for a second before I realise it's in F. Since I for a second thing it's 212 degrees.

    Also, Decimals are awesome! Don't be afraid of them! 5 degree's in Celsius is at least 10 steps since half degrees, and most I know use full tenths! So it's 50 steps!
    Yes, possible in Farenheit but with how scared everyone who uses it on this forum seem's to be of it I believe it's not.

  16. #896
    Brewmaster Klingers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Parliament of the Daleks
    Posts
    1,400
    I voted NO, and I'm not American, for one simple reason:

    You guys deserve a free pass on stubbornly telling world standards bodies to go fuck themselves. You single-handedly led the charge in not signing the ITU's disgusting and insane Internet treaties last week, so feel free to enjoy your miles, feet and inches for a while. You have our permission

    Actually, one thing: I'm a programmer that does a lot of work with databases and financial systems. Damn your friggin' illogical ass-backwards month-day-year thing... Seriously... Gargh! Days are a smaller unit of measurement than months. Months are smaller than years. Day-<of the>-month-<of the>-year makes so much more sense. </rant>
    Last edited by Klingers; 2012-12-21 at 12:55 PM.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

  17. #897
    Mechagnome lzsg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    590
    Quote Originally Posted by Wowalixi View Post
    I say we can go ahead and switch to Metric, but save Fahrenheit and the date system. Those aren't measures of Metric anyways, are they? (I'm probably wrong, my science knowledge is next to nil).

    Fahrenheit is better because it gives more specific temperatures and they also "seem" more extreme. You tell someone it's 105 degrees outside they're bound to do a double-take and prepare themselves. Tell them it's 40 degrees Celsius and it just doesn't seem that major. Just in my mind, anyways. Also apparently the difference between 105 and 95 degrees Fahrenheit is only 5 degrees Celsius. That's the difference between a miserable afternoon and a fairly mild one (In Arizona anyways). You can't mark that with only 5 numbers!

    Date system, I don't know, it would be impossible for me to switch to saying the date first. Our system has always made more sense because if someone asks you the date, you're probably going to say 'December 21st' and not 'the 21st of December.' Just my two cents anyways.
    This is simply a matter of being used to one system. 105 degrees Fahrenheit means nothing to me but I know right away when I see 40 degrees Celsius on a thermometer that it's really, really hot. Fahrenheit is obviously more precise since the increment in heat is smaller for each number, but that's what decimals are for. All my thermometers measure and display at least tenths of degrees. Oh, and all scientists use Kelvin. It's the only system that makes any real sense for measuring what heat actually is.

    About the date system - the way you say it is a byproduct of the way you write it. I write it 'the 21st of December', and I say it the same way.
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

  18. #898
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    17,960
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    sounds like somebody is 2 legort 2 quart.
    OK, I admit it. I laughed.
    Well 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
    Because you look so fine
    And I really wanna make you mine

  19. #899
    The Insane Cattaclysmic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,920
    Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    I voted NO, and I'm not American, for one simple reason:

    You guys deserve a free pass on stubbornly telling world standards bodies to go fuck themselves. You single-handedly led the charge in not signing the ITU's disgusting and insane Internet treaties last week, so feel free to enjoy your miles, feet and inches for a while. You have our permission

    Actually, one thing: I'm a programmer that does a lot of work with databases and financial systems. Damn your friggin' illogical ass-backwards month-day-year thing... Seriously... Gargh! Days are a smaller unit of measurement than months. Months are smaller than years. Day-<of the>-month-<of the>-year makes so much more sense. </rant>
    Isnt the reason they didnt sign it, because they already control the internet and would give up power by signing it...?

  20. #900
    Blademaster
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    36
    No, just for the fact that it will cost an extreme amount of money to change every sign that has a distance on it in the entire country. All speed limit signs would need to be changed as well and all car manufacturers would have to change their speedometers. You also have to try and get multiple generations of people to learn a new math system when you have a lot of people who are already terrible with math. A cashier literally had to get a calculator out to break my $100 bill for a $16 meal.... and she still gave me the incorrect change.

    Also, screw everything moving to a standard system and then eventually a world government. Governments already can't fix their own countries besides trying to control the entire world. Lets let different countries be different. Also, most of the people that do research and collaborate across borders are already using the SI system anyway.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •