Deleted

From homless scanvanger to student in an important university

I think it's time for a positive thread too

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ish-dumps.html

"A homeless scavenger in Brazil got a place at a top university - after studying books she found among the rubbish.

Ercilia Stanciany, 41, survived by rummaging through bins and rubbish tips in the city of Vitoria, southeast Brazil.

She had left school aged just 10 after her father banned her from attending lessons, and for the next 20 years eked out a measly living on the streets.
    Winning: Ercilia Stanciany got a place at a top university - after studying books she found among the rubbish

Then in 2010 Ercilia, now a mother-of-two, was collecting rubbish when she came across a leaflet advertising a course for adults wanting to complete their school education.

She signed up, and using books she had also found in bins and tips, managed to pass with flying colours.

Last year she continued her studies by completing a university entry-level course, again using materials she had come across in the rubbish.

And this week she found out she had been accepted to study Arts at the Federal University of Espirito Santo, one of Brazil's most prestigious educational establishments.

Ercilia told Brazil's Globo G1 website: 'I cried when I got the news. When I went to sign on at university I couldn't stop shaking.

'My father used to say he would never let me go to school, that my place wasn't at school and that I'd never be anything in life. If only he could see me now.'"

A nice change from Americans killing each other.

Don't bring nation bashing into a thread that is positive. Mr. Downer.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Deleted
    What a shining example of a lady with courage and determination.

She's rather, rotund, for being supposedly homeless for 20 years.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Thats is a great story. One has to wonder though how great a university this is if you can learn their curriculum by simply rummaging through the garbage? This would have been an ideal way for me to learn, but I am not sure how many other people can learn this way. I just hope my doctor didnt get his degree this way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elisif View Post
    What a shining example of a lady with courage and determination.
    Indeed, it's amazing how she managed to raise herself up with all those problems.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    I don't know her, but maybe recently she managed to get some money and used with less food she started eating more to make up for lost time since the change was sudden, maybe she has a medical problem, maybe she only bought fast food from money she got because it was cheaper (not like she could cook healthy food anyway), etc. The truth is we don't know, so don't judge that. From what we know she was homeless for close to 20 years and raised herself up by scavanging trash. I say well done to her.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Homeless meaning she doesnt have a house... doesnt mean she cant get some help on food...
    Not all countries leave their homeless to starve in the streets you know

Not to mention the cheapest food is also the highest caloric, fast foods.
    Last edited by Kurioxan; 2012-12-14 at 06:11 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Meari View Post
    Why would her father ban her from attending classes?
    No clue, but he kicked her out of house and left her too, so he probably had some problems.

10+ Year Old Account
    All that hard work and she decided to take an arts degree? Guess she will be back on the street in no time.

What did that awful father have against her having a decent life?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Someone should have informed her what an arts degree is worth.
    Nevertheless, quite an accomplishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Lassira View Post
    Someone should have informed her what an arts degree is worth.
    Nevertheless, quite an accomplishment.
    Does not matter, shes somewhat famous and unique. Any company would be a fool not to hire her. The positive publicity for a company from hiring her could be enourmous if played right.

15+ Year Old Account
    Lovely story, simply lovely
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.