Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
LastLast
  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSnail View Post
    Do you remember good old times when you had only 1 character and you cared for him, loved and felt him?
    I still play the same character I created 8 years ago. It is the only one I have ever played "The End-Game" with.
    Sure, I have alts. But they are just that. Alts.

    Games are what you make them. I don't let others make my games.

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post
    The early days were all about only needing 1 character to play Wow, in these days it was insane to even consider to level more than one character simply because the colossal amount of time that it took to level one up! lol
    No, not really no. Like. At all.

  3. #63
    Pandaren Monk Slummish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,777
    Op must not be playing MoP because here how WoW breaks down:

    Vanilla - not alt friendly
    TBC - not alt friendly
    WotLK - alt friendly
    Cataclysm - alt friendly
    MoP- not alt friendly

    Sure, you might be able to have a max level toon of every class now because leveling is so comparatively fast, but those alts have shit gear, shit reputation and no chance of getting into a raid or heroic dungeon without some work.

    I have 21 toons that were max level or thereabouts before MoP dropped. Since that day, I have only played one (a new monk) and he's still not exalted with all the factions.

  4. #64
    The Lightbringer TEHPALLYTANK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Texas(I wish it were CO)
    Posts
    3,268
    No, even when I was a noob I had multiple chars. I didn't like only getting to see one or two classes at max level, I like trying everything to see which I like the most. It doesn't hurt the game at all, if anything it helps it because people like me would get bored and quit if they could only get one or two classes to max level in a reasonable amount of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by PetersenIII View Post
    No, not really no. Like. At all.
    How many characters did u level in vanilla?

    It could take weeks to get a character from 0 to top level... u clearly never played at that time...

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post
    Its VERY obvious why Blizzard moved the game down the road to every player 'needing' more alts.

    And thats to force players to spend more time in Wow.
    What blizzard wants from a business and cost of operations perspective is for people to have active accounts, never log in, and be completely happy.

    It doesn't benefit Blizzard to "force players to spend more time in WoW." The less time people play, THE HAPPIER BLIZZARD IS, as long as they stay subscribed.

    For example, right now, I am Blizzard's DREAM customer, because I am playing about one hour every other week.

    However, it does benefit Blizzard to give players who DO want to play 40+ hours a week something to do.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post
    How many characters did u level in vanilla?

    It could take weeks to get a character from 0 to top level... u clearly never played at that time...
    In my guild, which back in vanilla had every single server-first boss kill except one, some people had 3-4-5 (a few even more) alts. Some even switched mains as early as BWL.

    Not everyone plays games the way you do.

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Idoru View Post
    In my guild, which back in vanilla had every single server-first boss kill except one, some people had 3-4-5 (a few even more) alts. Some even switched mains as early as BWL.

    Not everyone plays games the way you do.
    Well u know as well as everyone else who played Vanilla that players with more than one character was a RARITY. Itdefinitely wasnt the norm.

    U said it yourself, u were a 'pro' player going for realm firsts, therefore u were prepared to invest the insane amount of time to level multiple characters.

    The truth is that back in Vanilla the vast majority, and i repeat, VAST MAJORITY of players had only one character at top level.

    Basically u just backed up my point

  9. #69
    Moderator MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    10,651
    Before MoP, I shed most of my alts. I now have a main (shadow priest) and a couple of others that I'll get around to eventually. Probably.

    Actually, playing my main without stressing out over leaving alt behind is quite liberating and has encouraged me to do things on my main that I never bothered with before. I'd recommend it.

    I don't know that I buy into the business of WoW being an alt-focused MMO. I can see how that started and how the mess that was Cataclysm's end game encouraged it. But people play the way they want to play and that doesn't necessarily mean that because something can be done it was ever intended as a requirement.

    No one forced anyone to have 10+ toons at max level.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2012-12-16 at 08:46 PM.
    If you have anything to contribute to a thread topic, please do so. Discussing moderation or calling out specific people is against the rules and makes a post liable for an infraction. Please report problem posts. If anyone is unclear about the rules please read our FAQ. Thanks.

    It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy...let's go exploring!

  10. #70
    Yes i remember the old days, and for me the game is still the same, just with more facilities. I still only play 1 charater and love him. I dont care about archivs or gold. BoA items i just look at as the new way to "twink" lowlevels. A decent replecement for the old twink.
    (Must confess i used to play my mage, and i love him the most, i changed main to my priest for MoP because my IRL friendguild needed that. But the 2 charaters i allways have played on is the mage and a priest, and i love both). No point to lvl more alt, play the ones you like...

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSnail View Post
    Do you remember good old times when you had only 1 character and you cared for him, loved and felt him?
    No, I don't. I had a warrior, warlock, and hunter during classic WoW. Your experience != everyone's experience.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-16 at 09:06 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post
    How many characters did u level in vanilla?

    It could take weeks to get a character from 0 to top level... u clearly never played at that time...
    Weeks? OMG!!! Yeah, of course it did. That's only an impediment if you have the attention span of a goldfish and need to be max level in 3 days.

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbojonez View Post
    Weeks? OMG!!! Yeah, of course it did. That's only an impediment if you have the attention span of a goldfish and need to be max level in 3 days.
    u clearly never played Vanilla lmao

    It would take 3 days in cata or MoP with 24/7 play but back in vanilla even with 24/7 gameplay it was very impossible to level to top level in 3 days...

    back in the days when many quests u needed more than 1 person to complete, in the days when to do dungeons u needed to physically spam trade and wait hours for a group. The days when pulling mroe than 1 mob meant death and then running half of the map in ghostform to get back to your body. The days when EXP was intentionally low for kills and quests.
    Last edited by Endemonadia; 2012-12-16 at 09:38 PM.

  13. #73
    Stood in the Fire jd812's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pandaria
    Posts
    472
    i disagree op ive always had multiple characters from when i first started. my first toon ever was my mage and i loved him dearly until i created my dk, i played him a little then made my druid. My druid became my main for awhile but ultimately i love them all equaly. but thats just me there are still people out there than play only one toon

  14. #74
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,737
    op is the perfect example that anyone can make up random stuff and call them "facts", even tho they very clearly arent.

    sometimes its not as clear, but people really like to claim their thoughts as "facts" it seems... even tho they cant see the full picture most of the time.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-16 at 10:44 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post
    u clearly never played Vanilla lmao

    It would take 3 days in cata or MoP with 24/7 play but back in vanilla even with 24/7 gameplay it was very impossible to level to top level in 3 days...

    back in the days when many quests u needed more than 1 person to complete, in the days when to do dungeons u needed to physically spam trade and wait hours for a group. The days when pulling mroe than 1 mob meant death and then running half of the map in ghostform to get back to your body. The days when EXP was intentionally low for kills and quests.
    or you could play a hunter or a warlock who could pretty much solo every elitequest back then :> - i believe even frostmages(without pet) were easily able to kite down almost any elite-mob.

  15. #75
    The Insane Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Twitch & Youtube
    Posts
    18,625
    If you want an alt-friendly game, look at ToR. The game has next to no endgame, and has whole systems to promote alt playing.
    Unsubscribed 3/10/2014 - 8/14/2014.
    "Times change."

    Beware the claims of yearly expansions. It's not more hype more often, it's paying more for less. Fewer tiers, no more new levels, no more new races/classes, but an ever-increasing price tag....

  16. #76
    The Patient Rupture91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    In the mountains....
    Posts
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by kazih View Post
    Most alt un-friendly expansion with the focus on giving people something to do all the time on 1 character and you make this post?
    Haha I was just thinking the same thing.
    The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.

  17. #77
    Dreadlord Noah37's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Athens, Georgia
    Posts
    775
    Umm... This should have been posted during WotLK when Heirloom was invented. In MoP right now having tons of alts is fairly implausible. The time required to rep up and experience everything with a single character is quite large. Anyways, I have 1 main I will usually play per expansion, and I have one of every class other than Monk over level 80. It keeps me from burning out by leveling and messing around on alts when I'm trying to do something mindless.

  18. #78
    Dreadlord Voolawl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Blood Gulch
    Posts
    820
    I think WoTLK and Cata making alts easier is somewhat the reason that Blizzard has been forced to trivialize content so much. People are spending their time being mediocre at multiple classes instead of being great at one or two classes.

    As such, they complain when they switch from their mediocre hunter to mediocre priest and can't complete things with ease.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kissme View Post
    The problem comes when bad players expect to clear hardmode content as quickly as average or upper echelon players.
    Accept your limitations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Admittedly, I enjoy beer more as a beverage that I can appreciate rather then getting drunk.

  19. #79
    Pit Lord aztr0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,352
    WoW didn't go and tell people to go play alts. Players decided to. Things evolve for better or worse.

  20. #80
    The only reason I had one solid main "back in the day" was because it was so difficult to raid ON an alt, whether it be in an alt raid or to change mains. The only way you could do it was if you had everything close to farm content, which in TBC took a while, especially with things like having to farm resist gear for SSC and BT, etc.

    This is an MMO, I realize part of it is RPG, but if you are so keen to only having one main, then I don't really understand how other people having multiple alts effects you. You say RPG so much that maybe you should go play an RPG instead. You haven't really argued in one solid way as to how the game being alt focused hurts the game the most, aside from the "RPG" part, which isn't a strong argument in the first place.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •