Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Yeah, you're the usual delusional gun nut claiming crime rate is comparable to murder rate. Its hilarious when people pull out the crime rate statistics and then avoid comparing the murder rate statistics. Again its a pathetic obsession. When it comes to gun crime, the UK is better, so no I won't stop stating facts.

We also have a far lower incarceration rate of 148 per 100k compared to US of 716 (the highest in the world) good job on guns keeping you safe.
    The issue is FAR more complex than simply numbers. We have more intercity areas. We have a much larger pool of cultures, races, etc. We have truly wild country where hunting is a primary source of food.

Also, incarceration rate means nothing in this debate. The vast majority are non-violent offenders.

Quote Originally Posted by Mionelol View Post
    The gun's sole intent is to be lethal.
    Knives, rocks, plastic bags, and so on, can be lethal, but were not designed with that intent in mind in the first place. (rocks are just rocks.)
    In the case of blades that were designed to kill, you'd rather call them daggers or whatever, not knives. knives refer to the kitchen. and people aren't comfortable around knives in general anyway, because even a kitchen knife was designed to cut through meat, aka flesh, aka it might just be you.

It's a pretty clear distinction and it takes a lot of bad faith to be oblivious to it.
    Yet that ignores that a tiny fraction of bullets fired kill or maim anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spriggan View Post
    Cry some more, buddy. Pacifism will put us all into early graves because bad people won't obey some liberal/Marxist's opinion, and you better believe he'll be armed with more than just his fists.

People with guns are more likely to be killed when engaging criminals because the criminals, whose intent is rarely to kill (much more likely to steal etc), see them as a threat.

Secondly, I guess in your world there's no such thing as law enforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    Because humans are hard-wired to fear what they don't understand.
    What's there not to understand. If the gun is pointed at you, and the wielder pulls the trigger, you're either going to die, or suffer a pretty bad injury. Those outcomes are rational things to fear. In this case, we're hard-wired to fear something that will hurt or kill us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

10+ Year Old Account
    A guns sole purpose is to kill things, and they do it rather well.

I've never even seen a gun in person here in Australia though.

Quote Originally Posted by Heineken View Post
    And when a rock hits someone on the head, it kinda hurts. Should we ban rocks now too?
    Typical nonsense excuse,

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well they are made to kill is probably the best reason I could come up with. They are also fairly easy to obtain and a lot of mentally ill and/or people without proper training have them (both of them being as bad as the other).

I have them for hunting and they are locked away pretty good.

People are generally afraid of things they don't understand. What's even more terrifying is when someone has something that you don't understand, and they don't understand it either. Which pretty much sums up 90% of gun owners.

They wouldn't be nearly as terrifying to people if they weren't super accessible and the people that did have them were far more responsible lol. You'd be surprised how many people have loaded guns laying around, or guns not properly secured. If someone breaks into my house they would need a lot of effort to take our guns.

Where I live I don't really have to worry about people having them out in the open. Loads of people have hunting rifles/shotguns, but they are pretty much impossible to conceal. Most hand guns are smuggled for a premium from the U.S. Basically think of how the U.S views Mexico for it's drugs, Canada views the U.S in the same light for handguns. Gross exaggeration, but kind of.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzo View Post
    A gun can kill from a distance and in the blink of an eye.

Whereas the above examples you give cannot.

The examples you gave can all be 'seen' an avoided, unless you're an assassin...

Guns also have the most 'force'

That being said, I'd rather get shot then stabbed.
    I like how everyone conveniently forgets that I mentioned a bow in that statement... which can be purchased at any walmart in the world for $29.95.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like how everyone conveniently forgets that I mentioned a bow in that statement... which can be purchased at any walmart in the world for $29.95.
    And there's a reason people take ARs into schools, and not bows. Care to guess why?

10+ Year Old Account
    Except it's a bow... you have to carry around a fucking bow, with arrows mind you. I'd rather take my chances running away from someone with a bow and a few arrows then a pistol and the 30 or so bullets they can store in a few clips.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Unless they are that dude from the avengers. Otherwise I'd just put a helmet on and run behind things.

Yes, because the common 'thug' is also an expert archer. And let's not forget archers can shoot 8 shots in 5 seconds!

Do you see where this is goin'?
    Bows today don't require you to be an archer. You literally point and shoot. Nobody is trying to be an indian here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ineko View Post
    Except it's a bow... you have to carry around a fucking bow, with arrows mind you. I'd rather take my chances running away from someone with a bow and a few arrows then a pistol and the 30 or so bullets they can store in a few clips.
    You can put a laser point on a bow and literally pick anything you want from a distance. I mean, it's the same as a gun with a slower reload and it's sold in Walmart in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    People with guns are more likely to be killed when engaging criminals because the criminals, whose intent is rarely to kill (much more likely to steal etc), see them as a threat.

Secondly, I guess in your world there's no such thing as law enforcement.
    First thing you said has no basis in fact. Second, it's law enforcement, not prevention or protection. Someone breaks into your house and wants to bring you harm, the police are going to be a great help... in cleaning up, documenting, and trying to find the person that did it. It's not their job or purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    What's there not to understand. If the gun is pointed at you, and the wielder pulls the trigger, you're either going to die, or suffer a pretty bad injury. Those outcomes are rational things to fear. In this case, we're hard-wired to fear something that will hurt or kill us.
    Or he's going to miss. You make it sound easy, but the fact is most of the time shots miss (the police miss all the damn time, that's why they keep firing)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
    The issue is FAR more complex than simply numbers. We have more intercity areas. We have a much larger pool of cultures, races, etc. We have truly wild country where hunting is a primary source of food.

Also, incarceration rate means nothing in this debate. The vast majority are non-violent offenders.
    I didn't bring up numbers first it was Heineken who came up with the oft used UK crime statistic that painted the UK in a more negative light than it deserved, so I used incarceration rates as an example of crime per capita so it meant something to that particular debate.

We have the european union on our doorstep with free migration you do not have a larger pool of cultures or races in the slightest, you may well have the highest number of people of different cultures which may well be a factor though, I don't know the statistics on that. Having more intercity areas means nothing, the UK is the most densly populated country in the world with nearly 80% living in the cities compared to 64% in the US so that doesn't fly either. The UK has the highest number of people in cities in the developed world (outside of minor island nations.

The wilderness/hunting thing is pretty irrelevant to anything I said, thats just another reason for the obessive gun culture permeating US society.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2014-01-05 at 08:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bows today don't require you to be an archer. You literally point and shoot. Nobody is trying to be an indian here.

- - - Updated - - -

You can put a laser point on a bow and literally pick anything you want from a distance. I mean, it's the same as a gun with a slower reload and it's sold in Walmart in the UK.
    Slower reload, lower accuracy, lower range, less ammo, less force, much less mobility, higher susceptibility to environmental factors (wind, rain), more force required by the user, and a least a hair more skill.

But yeah, basically the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    The UK doesn't have Walmart.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    But yeah, basically the same.
    Definitely the same.

You've obviously never shot a bow. Let's not take in to account accuracy, no no. Let's not take wind into consideration, distance into consideration.

You point and shoot, guys!

POINT and SHOOT!

If I could post a giant facepalm...
    Ask a military sniper how much weather factors in to their shot. I mean shooting in general, but sure, strawman me.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Bow is basically the same as a gun, it's not rocket science guys!

Deleted
    The world is bigger than the USA, bows are only sold in very specialized sport shops/hunting stores here for example, and they require a license of some kind :P Just like every other weapon.

Deleted
    I'm not afraid of guns, I don't get why people are so afraid that they think they need one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ask a military sniper how much weather factors in to their shot. I mean shooting in general, but sure, strawman me.
    You're bringing in military snipers and talking about strawmen?

Thankfully your posts have been as derided as they deserve. Your thread has gone brilliantly against you.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2014-01-05 at 08:40 AM.