Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Complains about hand waiving while hand waiving.
    Video from the 80's where a martial artist with a knife already in his hand takes down a fat mall cop = "omg knives are more lethal!"

Studies of recoveries from stab wounds vs GSW showing probability of death is lower for stab wounds, and recovery rate is higher = "Totally doesn't prove anything"

- - - Updated - - -

That's your argument; I don't need to make it for you.
    It's already been explained to you that it meant higher probability of death. You're the one being deliberately obtuse at this point.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Video from the 80's where a martial artist with a knife already in his hand takes down a fat mall cop = "omg knives are more lethal!"

Studies of recoveries from stab wounds vs GSW showing probability of death is lower for stab wounds, and recovery rate is higher = "Totally doesn't prove anything"
    I never said it didn't prove anything. It just doesn't prove what you think it proves.

I also love how you just hand waived the Tueller drill. I mean, who gives a shit about law enforcement training when I can skew statistics to prove my opinions!
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

15+ Year Old Account
    You've also been wrong about lethality, as desperately as you're arguing semantics over there.

Lethality or deadliness is how capable something is of causing death. Most often it is used when referring to chemical weapons, biological weapons, or their chemical components. The use of this term denotes the ability of these weapons to kill, but also the possibility that they may not kill.
    Lethality can refer to the rate or probability of death from a certain object. You're the only one saying that saying "more lethal" is equivalent to saying "more deader".

- - - Updated - - -

I never said it didn't prove anything. It just doesn't prove what you think it proves.

I also love how you just hand waived the Tueller drill. I mean, who gives a shit about law enforcement training when I can skew statistics to prove my opinions!
    Tueller drill proves that knives can be dangerous and thus law enforcement officials need to know how to defend themselves against it.

It in no way proves that knives are just as likely to cause death.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

You've also been wrong about lethality, as desperately as you're arguing semantics over there.

Lethality can refer to the rate or probability of death from a certain object. You're the only one saying that saying "more lethal" is equivalent to saying "more deader".
    Now we get to hear arguments about how dictionaries aren't reliable sources of definitions.

- - - Updated - - -

It in no way proves that knives are just as likely to cause death.
    Again, a failure of understanding the argument about lethality. Shocking.
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

15+ Year Old Account
    Now we get to hear arguments about how dictionaries aren't reliable sources of definitions.

- - - Updated - - -

Again, a failure of understanding the argument about lethality. Shocking.
    I linked the definition. You're the one arguing that it means something else than what is stated.

Lethality can also refer to the likelihood that death will be inflicted. "Lethality" is often used in this context when referring to various types of weapons, where some may be more lethal than others.

You are the ONLY ONE who has been saying that "more lethal" can mean degrees of more deader. Even the definition of lethal disagrees with you.

I linked the definition. You're the one arguing that it means something else than what is stated.
    No, you linked a Wikipedia snippet about lethality.

Quote Originally Posted by Fauxpaws View Post
    Violence is already being curbed compared to the rest of human history.

That being said, crazy people will always exist, and there isn't much anyone can do about it short of finding a "cure" for mental illness.
    As a society we will never get to that point if we don't acknowledge mentality as the real problem. Its still treated as taboo by most people. The people who suffer from these issues don't understand them. Their anger takes over and we get this madness. First step is to be open about the problem, let the populace know that its not something to be ashamed of, that treatment isn't shameful. Until we get to that point nothing will change.

As for guns, its impossible to remove all guns from the US unless you want to go door to door removing them. Probably can all yell sieg heil while it happens.
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte DDR3 1600 8GB

15+ Year Old Account
    Well I suppose if you're going to be wrong, it's better to be consistent and fractally wrong than to contradict yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

I suppose we should stop using lethal, and instead start using deadly, because you are only familiar with the first definition of lethal and not the other two, and it is confusing you.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    I'm really disappointed in you. You forgot "high powered."
    Oh please. Don't make me even begin to educate people on clips vs magazines...lol

I suppose we should stop using lethal, and instead start using deadly, because you are only familiar with the first definition of lethal and not the other two, and it is confusing you.
    If you want to apply an infinite scale to a finite measurement, you gotta start making shit up.

Quote Originally Posted by theturn View Post
    As a society we will never get to that point if we don't acknowledge mentality as the real problem. Its still treated as taboo by most people. The people who suffer from these issues don't understand them. Their anger takes over and we get this madness. First step is to be open about the problem, let the populace know that its not something to be ashamed of, that treatment isn't shameful. Until we get to that point nothing will change.

As for guns, its impossible to remove all guns from the US unless you want to go door to door removing them. Probably can all yell sieg heil while it happens.
    I think that slowly people are beginning to realize that people are the problem....You are VERY right though that it is Taboo.

- - - Updated - - -

If you want to apply an infinite scale to a finite measurement, you gotta start making shit up.
    Stop making him mad and look like a fool. Burning coffee out of the nostrils is no joke.

15+ Year Old Account
    You couldn't refute my central point, so instead of even attempting to do so, you pointed out that lethal refers to whether or not something is capable of killing.

I asked you, which term should we use that would be less confusing to you? Deadly? Probability of causing death?

Please, do tell us so we can get back on track.

You've also been wrong about lethality,
    You used the word lethal, not leathality or deadliness. I guess you googled the word lethal, saw lethality and decided to move goal posts and to argue more semantics.

You couldn't refute my central point, so instead of even attempting to do so, you pointed out that lethal refers to whether or not something is capable of killing.
    Do you have a central point? It's impossible to keep up with all this flailing and failed snark.

I asked you, which term should we use that would be less confusing to you? Deadly? Probability of causing death?

Please, do tell us so we can get back on track.
    I'm not confused. You don't need a new term, you need to actually describe what you're talking about instead of making hasty generalizations, which seems hard for you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    You used the word lethal, not leathality or deadliness. I guess you googled the word lethal, saw lethality and decided to move goal posts and to argue more semantics.
    I'm pretty sure everyone here knows what is meant by "more lethal" and deliberate obtuseness has pervaded this thread in place of any kind of counter argument.

Well I suppose if you're going to be wrong, it's better to be consistent and fractally wrong than to contradict yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

I think context is confusing you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Do you have a central point? It's impossible to keep up with all this flailing and failed snark.

I'm not confused. You don't need a new term, you need to actually describe what you're talking about instead of making hasty generalizations, which seems hard for you.
    I was under the impression you'd understand what more lethal might be referring to, considering it was laid out what was meant by it numerous times. By your multiple attempts to derail it into an argument of semantics, I can only believe you were being deliberately obtuse, and that you aren't actually that clueless.

I'm pretty sure everyone here knows what is meant by "more lethal" and deliberate obtuseness has pervaded this thread in place of any kind of counter argument.
    I don't know what it means because something is either lethal or it isn't.

15+ Year Old Account
    So back to the central point before this entire argument was derailed by semantics and straw men...

Stab wounds are far less likely to result in death than gunshot wounds, as has been proven by multiple papers, statistics, and links.

Since the burden of proof has been sufficiently fulfilled on that side of the argument, we're now waiting for something, anything, that might offer counter proof to this argument, else we can consider the issue of the above argument settled.

I was under the impression you'd understand what more lethal might be referring to, considering it was laid out what was meant by it numerous times. By your multiple attempts to derail it into an argument of semantics, I can only believe you were being deliberately obtuse, and that you aren't actually that clueless.
    Oh, you mean this hasn't been a continuous, deliberate attempt at minimizing other types of weapons while continuing to vilify firearm?

My bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Since the burden of proof has been sufficiently fulfilled on that side of the argument, we're now waiting for something, anything, that might offer counter proof to this argument, else we can consider the issue of the above argument settled.
    Cites a bunch of studies that don't actually prove his position, then proclaims he has won the argument merely by opening his mouth.

Reminds me of this: