Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

You still don't get it that the substance isn't addictive the effects on the brain are.

Its like being addicted to chocolate because you like the endorphins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

I wonder how true this infographic is...

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong
    You still don't get it that the substance isn't addictive the effects on the brain are.

Its like being addicted to chocolate because you like the endorphins.
    I know I'm late to the party on this one, but if people are able to drink alcohol, do a line of coke, and smoke a fat blunt without becoming addicted, then 'addiction' either doesn't actually exist or it has to be based on the person's behavior, not the substance itself.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    well thanks for that, untill now i thought you were someone worth having a discussion with
    Look, my reference to the SS was not in anyway a indication of what Germany is now but rather a lesson from history which was to point out how the police in some cases in the past and even now, can go to extremes in carrying out the letter of the law. The US has some parts of it's history I am not proud of also.
    I do apologize if I offended, it was not my intention, but rather thought you could relate to it if you know history. I guess I should have used a different term.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    The National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence: Alcohol is the most commonly used addictive substance in the U.S.

Tiny. If you would just admit that you're wrong, we could move on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    ...'addiction' either doesn't actually exist or it has to be based on the person's behavior, not the substance itself.
    You know. You guys aren't helping the "science denier" label that gets thrown around in this thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    Which part of the info-graphic are curious as to the validity?
    Eat yo vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    The National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence: Alcohol is the most commonly used addictive substance in the U.S.

Tiny. If you would just admit that you're wrong, we could move on.

- - - Updated - - -

You know. You guys aren't helping the "science denier" label that gets thrown around in this thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Alcohol is very much physically addictive.

I was thinking the very same thing earlier. The overlap isn't as much surprising, as much to how blatant the denial is.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I was thinking the very same thing earlier. The overlap isn't as much surprising, as much to how blatant the denial is.
    Several of the people who I have seen be very level headed and logical in other threads turn into blithering anti intellectuals when it comes to this thread. It's like watching someone devolve into a two year old and then go right back.

You keep addressing an entirely different point: alcohol itself isn't addictive, it's effect on the brain is.

- - - Updated - - -

The stupidity being demonstrated in this thread by people linking things, and deliberately ignoring the contents of the links is one of the worst displays I've ever seen.

From 9-11's link:

"Addiction is a primary, complex brain disorder. It is characterized by compulsive drug seeking and use, despite harmful consequences, and by long-lasting chemical changes in the brain which interfere with a person’s ability to think clearly, exercise good judgment, control behavior, and feel normal without using drugs."

"When a person uses alcohol and/or drugs, the brain is flooded with dopamine. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that resides in the parts of the brain that control movement, emotion, cognition, motivation and feelings of pleasure. When these systems are overloaded by substances, a person experiences euphoria--a feeling that many drug abusers attempt to recreate by repeatedly abusing a substance. However, the brain of a substance abuser adjusts by producing less dopamine or reducing the number of receptors that can receive or transmit signals. As long as people are addicted to or abusing substances, they cannot feel the joy and pleasure of everyday life. Many drug abusers feel depressed or flat when they are not taking drugs and need to take drugs to get their dopamine levels back to normal."

The stupidity here has really reached a critical fucking level.
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

It really has. But science denialists are always pushing the limit.

I'm sure morphine abusers are delighted to know the massive pain they feel during withdrawal is all in their head.
    Last edited by Rukentuts; 2014-09-16 at 02:33 AM.

You keep addressing an entirely different point: alcohol itself isn't addictive, it's effect on the brain is.

- - - Updated - - -

The stupidity being demonstrated in this thread by people linking things, and deliberately ignoring the contents of the links is one of the worst displays I've ever seen.

From 9-11's link:

"Addiction is a primary, complex brain disorder. It is characterized by compulsive drug seeking and use, despite harmful consequences, and by long-lasting chemical changes in the brain which interfere with a person’s ability to think clearly, exercise good judgment, control behavior, and feel normal without using drugs."

"When a person uses alcohol and/or drugs, the brain is flooded with dopamine. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that resides in the parts of the brain that control movement, emotion, cognition, motivation and feelings of pleasure. When these systems are overloaded by substances, a person experiences euphoria--a feeling that many drug abusers attempt to recreate by repeatedly abusing a substance. However, the brain of a substance abuser adjusts by producing less dopamine or reducing the number of receptors that can receive or transmit signals. As long as people are addicted to or abusing substances, they cannot feel the joy and pleasure of everyday life. Many drug abusers feel depressed or flat when they are not taking drugs and need to take drugs to get their dopamine levels back to normal."

While all that is true, alcohol is also physically addictive.

It really has. But science denialists are always pushing the limit.

I'm sure morphine abusers are delighted to know the massive pain they feel during withdrawal is all in their head.
    Keep posting about something unrelated to my point, all you guys have left is red herrings.

15+ Year Old Account
    Things we've outlawed that have no issue being illegal: Automatic weapons for civilian use, trans fats, CFCs, asbestos, mace (the shit you buy at wal mart is just a slight irritant, commonly referred to as pepper spray), need I keep going?

Alcohol is a physical dependence, as outlined by every medical definition of the term. It seems 9-11 was right that you'd rather stubbornly hold onto that than admit you were wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Things we've outlawed that have no issue being illegal: Automatic weapons for civilian use, trans fats, CFCs, asbestos, mace (the shit you buy at wal mart is just a slight irritant, commonly referred to as pepper spray), need I keep going?

Alcohol is a physical dependence, as outlined by every medical definition of the term. It seems 9-11 was right that you'd rather stubbornly hold onto that than admit you were wrong.
    I'm sorry but the prohibition on CFCs hasn't been effective, since prohibition doesn't work for anything.

I'm sorry but the prohibition on CFCs hasn't been effective, since prohibition doesn't work for anything.
    Because CFC's are totally a consumer good, and not just an ingredient people have no choice of using.

Hey, you started up the false equivalency engine with the morphine and alcohol comparison, might as well keep it warmed up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Things we've outlawed that have no issue being illegal: Automatic weapons for civilian use, trans fats, CFCs, asbestos, mace (the shit you buy at wal mart is just a slight irritant, commonly referred to as pepper spray), need I keep going?.
    Trans fats is another wonderful false equivalency.

People don't go "mmm trans fats" and seek them out. They eat them because they have to.

Because CFC's are totally a consumer good, and not just an ingredient people have no choice of using.

Hey, you started up the false equivalency engine with the morphine and alcohol comparison, might as well keep it warmed up.
    So you are wrong, too bad you won't admit it.
    Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    Prohibition is an ineffective and frivolous way to control anything.
    Better just skip to the part where you call it a "red herring" and run off. Before your credibility goes negative. Because between this and the "physical addiction", it's taken a heavy beating.
    Last edited by Rukentuts; 2014-09-16 at 04:00 AM.

So you are wrong, too bad you won't admit it.
    Better just skip to the part where you call it a "red herring" and run off. Before your credibility goes negative. Because between this and the "physical addiction", it's taken a heavy beating.
    People don't buy products and say "Where's the CFCs???"

This is about as fucking stupid as saying radioactive waste is "prohibited." Still can't wrap your head around the part about not being addicted to the alcohol, but the effects can you? I mean, it was in your link.

I know reading is hard.

Anything, really doesn't mean everything. Watch those goalposts in motion.

Oh that's right, addiction doesn't have physical symptoms. Nope. It's all in my mind!

I don't understand how armchair philosophers that have been proven wrong 5 times think they're more educated than doctors. Credibility, zero.

Edit: Oops, I meant six times.

Could you imagine the casualty rate in a conflict between battle-hardened fanatical fighters and a bunch of fat uneducated rednecks?
    Last edited by Rukentuts; 2014-09-16 at 04:08 AM.

Glad to know it's your brain that increases your white cell count when you detox from opiates. Or gives you a stroke. That magic cranium.

Linked 6 times, and still he thinks he knows better.

Glad to know it's your brain that increases your white cell count when you detox from opiates. Or gives you a stroke. That magic cranium.

Linked 6 times, and still he thinks he knows better.
    What was that about goal post movement?

Opiates ≠ ethanol

Better move your goalposts harder TinyKong.

And for alcohol detox:
    Minor alcohol withdrawal symptoms often appear six to 12 hours after alcohol cessation, sometimes while patients still have a measurable blood alcohol level. These symptoms include:

Shaky hands
    Sweating
    Mild anxiety
    Nausea and/or vomiting
    Headache
    Insomnia
    These are physical symptoms. But you know better than a doctor.

Edit: And let's look at my earlier link once more.
    Alcohol withdrawal syndrome is a set of symptoms that can occur when an individual reduces or stops alcoholic consumption after long periods of use. Prolonged and excessive use of alcohol leads to tolerance and physical dependence.
    Besides from the entire list of physical symptoms, it proves you wrong in the second sentence....

Just call it a red herring and run along now.

Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    Totally relevant.

The summary of the entire day of this thread. When one has incited the entirety of the poster population of this thread against him, he just might be wrong.
    Last edited by Rukentuts; 2014-09-16 at 04:24 AM.