Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    There are many things we both are not. What we have in common is that we both are posting on an open forum in a discussion thread. Deal with it.
    Yup.

And I don't care about your country or more specifically your opinion on the matter. Deal with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are many things we both are not. What we have in common is that we both are posting on an open forum in a discussion thread. Deal with it.

Please first read the article about the study that was published in the American Journal of Medicine, then come back if you want, because ... well... just read it and maybe you understand what you misinterpreted. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-u-s-...her-countries/

If you don't care what other people think you either scroll past it or don't come to a public forum at all. But since he reacted so strongly i think i touched a sensitive nerf, especially since i wasn't even adressing him personaly.

Intresting. Do you have a link to an article from a credible source?

Or, since it's an open forum (like you so kindly pointed out), I can reply as much as I'd like to your comment. And he reacted strongly, I think, because it's annoying getting people coming here who think they understand American culture and gun laws who then try and claim they've got the best solution in the world. Especially when are discussing weapons and get told we shouldn't discuss weapons. And while the thread title doesn't specify the US we all know that's the nation in question when it comes to this topic. So don't be dense.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Yup.

And I don't care about your country or more specifically your opinion on the matter. Deal with it.

If you don't care what other people think you either scroll past it or don't come to a public forum at all. But since he reacted so strongly i think i touched a sensitive nerf, especially since i wasn't even adressing him personaly.
    I'll quote and reply to whatever I want and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2017-03-28 at 11:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    You can even get some heavier rounds (75gr or whatnot) that expand quite well and lose energy on a hit. One of the problems with subsonic 300blk is getting something that reliably expands.

Noise is one thing, above the hearing safety threshold, not so much. Silence everything!

I've never been a fan of the "rack a round to discourage" theory of shotgunnery, but then I'm not a fan of shotguns anyway. Why keep a round down and risk short stroking the pump?

Either way, I'd imagine loading an AR15 would also be distinctive.
    A semiauto shotgun has almost the same level of sound as a pump, and 7 rounds is still plenty for home defense.

I think gratuitous slide racks and shotgun pumps in movies have created this idea, but in reality, it's just stupid -- you're either ejecting a round or loaded down at least one, neither of which will make it easier to defend your life. And, in point of fact, is exactly the kind of detail a prosecutor would love to dig into to prove intent in a defensive gun use. About the only "movie action used for emphasis" that even makes sense from a shooting stand point is cocking a hammer into single-action on a DA/SA pistol, but as before -- conscious acts of handling your firearm while it is otherwise ready to fire are going to be used as evidence by a prosecutor that you were not in imminent danger.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    I think gratuitous slide racks and shotgun pumps in movies have created this idea, but in reality, it's just stupid -- you're either ejecting a round or loaded down at least one, neither of which will make it easier to defend your life. And, in point of fact, is exactly the kind of detail a prosecutor would love to dig into to prove intent in a defensive gun use. About the only "movie action used for emphasis" that even makes sense from a shooting stand point is cocking a hammer into single-action on a DA/SA pistol, but as before -- conscious acts of handling your firearm while it is otherwise ready to fire are going to be used as evidence by a prosecutor that you were not in imminent danger.
    While the movies have certainly exaggerated things, a friend of mine has used this before and it worked. The bad guy scrambled to leave the second he heard the rack.

Plus one round in a 6-8 round shotty isn't gonna make a big difference. Also a lot of homes don't run Condition 1 anyways with their weapons (due to children or whatever) so they aren't at any more of a disadvantage because of the racking.

- - - Updated - - -

Also /wave @Storm. Good to see ya!
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    And he reacted strongly, I think, because it's annoying getting people coming here who think they understand American culture and gun laws who then try and claim they've got the best solution in the world.
    I understand that owning guns became a cultural thing in the US, unlike in any other country in the world. What i don't accept is that he is trying to push me out of this thread based on cheap arguments. Btw, i'm a gun owner myself.

And while the thread title doesn't specify the US we all know that's the nation in question when it comes to this topic. So don't be dense.
    No. This thread is about "Do you Support (an) Assault Weapons Ban?". If it's specificly US it should have said "US" in the title. And i have an opinion about it and if someone doesn't like it deal with it properly.

Especially when are discussing weapons and get told we shouldn't discuss weapons.
    I didn't say anything of the kind. I referred to "lunatic gun owners".

But i'm done discussing about if my opinion (which you don't even know) is legit enough to be posted in this thread or not and i'm done discussing about @TITAN308 's hurt feelings about me posting in this thread. I'm open for discussion about the information from the American Journal of Medicine about gun ownership related to murderrates and/or now i already said it about comparing gun laws or how it is to be a gunowner where i live.
    "The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference."

Elie Wiesel (1928 – 2016)

10+ Year Old Account
    I understand that owning guns became a cultural thing in the US, unlike in any other country in the world. What i don't accept is that he is trying to push me out of this thread based on cheap arguments. Btw, i'm a gun owner myself.

No. This thread is about "Do you Support (an) Assault Weapons Ban?". If it's specificly US it should have said "US" in the title. And i have an opinion about it and if someone doesn't like it deal with it properly.

I didn't say anything of the kind. I referred to "lunatic gun owners".

But i'm done discussing about if my opinion (which you don't even know) is legit enough to be posted in this thread or not and i'm done discussing about @TITAN308 's hurt feelings about me posting in this thread. I'm open for discussion about the information from the American Journal of Medicine about gun ownership related to murderrates and/or now i already said it about comparing gun laws or how it is to be a gunowner where i live.
    I took it more as a don't come in here thinking you know everything sort of attitude. Happens a lot around here sadly.

This thread is about all things guns, including gun control, because every gun related thread gets merged into this one without our control.

We all know that if you have guns in a place you will have more gun related injuries/deaths. Very similar to if you have more cars in a place you will have more injuries/deaths related to cars. No one is disputing that.

What people don't seem to grasp is how it's not the pandemic the media and everyone else makes it out to be. 10k deaths (not including suicides) per year in a country with a guesstimated 200 million guns and a population of 350ish million shouldn't even count as a fraction of a percent. Yet people make it out to be like it's a blood bath on the streets every single day. It gets annoying. Especially when they don't even live here.

They don't understand that we realize there is an associated risk with owning weapons but feel the risk is worth the reward. The ability to defend oneself and your family far outweighs what miniscule risk there is from the ownership of said weapons.

Please first read the article about the study that was published in the American Journal of Medicine, then come back if you want, because ... well... just read it and maybe you understand what you misinterpreted. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-u-s-...her-countries/

Keeping in mind I already mentioned in this thread I did a paper on gun control last semester, I am familiar with that study.

So please, by all means, tell me how I misinterpreted it.
    How to tell if somebody learned World Geography in school or from SNL:
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    SNL: Can't be Diomede Islands, say her backyard instead.

I took it more as a don't come in here thinking you know everything sort of attitude. Happens a lot around here sadly.

This thread is about all things guns, including gun control, because every gun related thread gets merged into this one without our control.

We all know that if you have guns in a place you will have more gun related injuries/deaths. Very similar to if you have more cars in a place you will have more injuries/deaths related to cars. No one is disputing that.

What people don't seem to grasp is how it's not the pandemic the media and everyone else makes it out to be. 10k deaths (not including suicides) per year in a country with a guesstimated 200 million guns and a population of 350ish million shouldn't even count as a fraction of a percent. Yet people make it out to be like it's a blood bath on the streets every single day. It gets annoying. Especially when they don't even live here.

They don't understand that we realize there is an associated risk with owning weapons but feel the risk is worth the reward. The ability to defend oneself and your family far outweighs what miniscule risk there is from the ownership of said weapons.
    We have closer to 400 million guns in circulation just as a side note.

Our murder rate by firearms is about 0.003% for our entire population a year.

The sky is falling yea? :P

But yes, his posts are nothing more than thinly veiled nation bashing and I know it and you know it. lol

Intresting. Do you have a link to an article from a credible source?
    It's an established fact, just look at any of the numbers based on crime.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    A semiauto shotgun has almost the same level of sound as a pump, and 7 rounds is still plenty for home defense.
    Sure, but as I said, the sound of racking an AR15 would also be quite the level of sound, followed by 30 rounds if needed.

But, really, this is a free country, there is no reason to argue when we can just compromise:

Really does still need a silencer though!

- - - Updated - - -

My theory is my hearing will recover from firing the rounds needed to drop the threat. If not at least I'll be alive. If you can run a silencer then by all means do so. And it sounds like that'll be easier to accomplish soon (unless it's already passed).
    HPA will maybe get attached to something else, it's a low priority for politiicans and there's no deep pockets pushing it, so hard to judge. In the meantime, even at $200 a pop, I'm still trying to silence everything!

And the being a round down comes down to comfort I think. Some people aren't a fan of keeping their weapon Condition 1 while others do. Not to mention some people would rather give the noise deterrent a try before having to shoot. You would have to feel very comfortable and practiced with your weapon to ensure you don't short stroke it of course.
    A lot of AR's for self defense are kept chamber empty also, racking an AR (Along with a yelled warning to GTFO) would be as much of a deterent as a shotgun, and a loss of 1 of 31 is better than a loss of 1 of 6. There's always a risk of malfunction getting started, but as you say, you need to train with what you use.

I personally, with my boys and wife in the house, would prefer to go for the noise deterrent first. If that scares of the baddies and prevents me from having to clean up the mess (plus patching my drywall) I'd rather do that.
    I used to tell people to get a ported 45-70 marlin guide gun ported. Flame and noise shooting out of everywhere, everyone will be deaf and blind and certainly in no mood to do much more than run for it. Levers are very hard to mess up. (And hey, they have lever shotguns, even if they're not popular due to knuckle busting.)

I also always figured a lever gun in like, 44, would be a good gun if you ever had to go to trial. "This is the murder weapon, from the Wyatt Earp collection!", certainly much nicer than a silenced AR15 would look. Also, the one advantage a tube gun (lever or shotgun) has over a detachable magazine is the ability to reload as you shoot without losing use of the firearm. Thus when the zombie horde is on your tail you can keep going indefinitely!
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

I think Switzerland has a high gun ownership comparable to the US?

This thread started off as one about a Assault Weapons Ban, thus the poll. Later it was turned into the [Official] Gun Control thread by the Moderators. Which means this thread can be used for just about anything related to guns. You are welcome to share your opinion. But you have to be willing for others to disagree and if the question or point is primary one about bashing US gun culture, then you are asking for some pretty blunt replies.

Edit: Ok, I looked it up. Switzerland is the world's third largest gun ownership at 55. The US is first at 115. But I also looked up the suicide rate of the US which is 33% lower than Japan's is while Japan's gun ownership is .06 and the US is at 115.6 . So not convinced gun ownership has much if to do with a country's suicide rate. :P
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2017-03-29 at 03:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This was good news when there have been a record number of gun sales going on across the nation, the number of accidental deaths from firearms hit a record low number http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...rms-sales.html

I would also like to know if the overall death's from firearm sales , has kept pace with the boom in gun sales? The article goes on to say they do not keep track of individual gun ownership, but they do with the background checks. Which there were a little over 27 million background checks. A ton increase in the number of firearm sales out there. But I do not think there has been huge surge in gun deaths to keep pace with the sales.

I've had a change of heart.

I turned in all my guns to the local police department for destruction.

I am in the process of selling all my worldly possessions and have booked a flight to go overseas. I am joining a convent of monks, shaving off my beard, and taking a vow of silence.

Farewell MMO-C. It has been fun.

@Annoying @Mayhem @TheBatman @Ghostpanther @lockedout
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2017-04-01 at 04:55 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    I've had a change of heart.

I turned in all my guns to the local police department for destruction.

I am in the process of selling all my worldly possessions and have booked a flight to go overseas. I am joining a convent of monks, shaving off my beard, and taking a vow of silence.

Farewell MMO-C. It has been fun.

@Annoying @Mayhem @TheBatman @Ghostpanther @lockedout
    Nice april fools but even if it was real, i wouldn´t care. ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Nice april fools but even if it was real, i wouldn´t care. ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Some good news for gun rights the last few days. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/04/03...cent-wins.html 14 states now allow their citizens to carry concealed a firearm without a permit. The list keeps growing.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/04/28...-his-head.html

Who else can spot immediately why the robbery would have failed if someone knowledgeable in guns saw this unfold.

As it happened I immediately saw it. How about you?

@Ghostpanther
    @Svifnymr

I would still hand over the cash even if someone aimed a jammed gun at me. I don't see the point in going the extra mile for someone else's money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok fellow gamers, help me out:

The D&D game is breaking for the summer and we're returning to the on-again off-again GURPS game. My character there is ex-military and, while he hasn't officially cross the "gun nut" border, he can see it from his house. He's got the following:
    -- M16A2
    -- H&KFabarm FP6 combat shotgun (man, I love dancing around hard/soft limits, 5 shells and 8 are the same point totals)
    -- KM2000 "knife"
    -- and a handgun so heavily modified it's nearly impossible to tell it was a S&W 1046 earlier in life.

But I just got a chunk of character points and I need a holdout weapon by tomorrow. I was hoping you people with actual gun knowledge (not fake like mine) might suggest something a six-foot human might realistically concealed carry. Note that this guy has a ton of points spent into both firing, and building/repairing, firearms, so there's no reason to suggest anything for novices (which the websites I've gone to suggest is a meaningful distinction) nor avoid anything that's hard to clean/maintain. Bonus points if the gun looks intimidating. 9-12 rounds ideal for point expenditure.

Thanks in advance!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kamov View Post
    I would still hand over the cash even if someone aimed a jammed gun at me. I don't see the point in going the extra mile for someone else's money.
    I think they're trained to do exactly that, but I think @JakeTheDog was talking about a third party.