Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    Just because there are confounding variables does not mean you can't analyze raw data and come to a correct conclusion.
    A conclusion that one variable is the cause? You can't get more wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

If I asked a group of 3000 people what their favorite pizza toppings were, the resulting study would be fine as an opinion piece, but would not bear out any scientific accuracy, especially when used as a sample of the entire population of the united states. This is something you guys seem to be unable to realize.
    All this does it prove you've never taken an hour of statistics in your life. You should really stop posting stuff like this, it sets your credibility to nill.

Protip: Margins of error exist for a reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    You didn't give a shit about the scientific method until called on your terrible nitpicking habits.
    I always care about the scientific method, and my nitpicking skills are exquisite, when nitpicking is required.

I cannot tell if this hypocrisy is intentional or accidental, especially given your posting history.
    Yeah, you still don't know what an ad hominem entails, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    i don´t know what this has to do with your initial claim that empirical evidence equals raw data, but i´ll bite
    First, I never said that empirical evidence equals raw data, but I'll go ahead and bite back anyway:
    Empirical evidence is a source of knowledge acquired by means of observation...
    Observation is the active acquisition of information from a primary source.
    Raw data is a term for data collected from a source. Raw data has not been subjected to processing or any other manipulation, and are also referred to as primary data.
    Linking those all together, we get:
    Empirical evidence is acquired by means of observation, which is the active acquisition of information from raw data.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    But empirical evidence is raw data... and you can't come to a conclusion using raw data, so...
    First, I never said that empirical evidence equals raw data, but I'll go ahead and bite back anyway
    aha

/10char
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

I always care about the scientific method, and my nitpicking skills are exquisite, when nitpicking is required.
    That's why you didn't give a shit until after your antics were called on, right?

Yeah, you still don't know what an ad hominem entails, it seems.
    I guess it's intentional after all.

- - - Updated - - -

aha

/10char
    Just like the scientific method thing. Haha!

Maybe it just depends on what your definition of the word "is", is.
    Last edited by Rukentuts; 2014-07-03 at 10:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    But empirical evidence is raw data... and you can't come to a conclusion using raw data, so...
    Who said you can't come to a conclusion using raw data? Of course you can. The raw data is the conclusion.

What you can't do, is draw a scientific conclusion.

But what Mayhem did wasn't scientific. It's an observable fact (empirical) that Ero attributed the wrong quote.

It would be like if Bob claimed trees weren't green, and someone posted a picture of a tree. That's not a scientific conclusion, it's an observable fact. Now if someone wanted to ask why trees are green, an experiment would be necessary, which would eventually come to a scientific conclusion.
    Eat yo vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Who said you can't come to a conclusion using raw data? Of course you can. The raw data is the conclusion.

What you can't do, is draw a scientific conclusion.

But what Mayhem did wasn't scientific. It's an observable fact (empirical) that Ero attributed the wrong quote.

It would be like if Bob claimed trees weren't green, and someone posted a picture of a tree. That's not a scientific conclusion, it's an observable fact. Now if someone wanted to ask why trees are green, an experiment would be necessary, which would eventually come to a scientific conclusion.
    Now you're arbitrarily trying to decide what's scientific and what's not.

'It's scientific because I said so.'

10+ Year Old Account
    Now you're arbitrarily trying to decide what's scientific and what's not.

'It's scientific because I said so.'
    No. We've argued throughout that you can't draw scientific conclusions from raw data. These statements were all in the context of the copious amounts of scientific studies we've linked. See, when scientists embark on studying a phenomenon, they do not draw their conclusions from raw data.

Remember when you claimed that they did? And then I asked you to give an example? And then you didn't?
    Eat yo vegetables

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In the wake of Target asking their customers not to bring guns into their stores, I found this interesting..http://money.msn.com/business-news/a...03&id=17752157 now why are they not concerned about gun fights breaking out? However they are at least smart enough not to serve any alcohol.

I would not have any issues eating at a place like that. Esp if the waitress with the .357mag Rugar Blackhawk like mine is hot. I could discuss our identical handguns.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2014-07-04 at 02:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    now why are they not concerned about gun fights breaking out?
    Because Target's clientele are not Wal Mart's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    In the wake of Target asking their customers not to bring guns into their stores, I found this interesting..http://money.msn.com/business-news/a...03&id=17752157 now why are they not concerned about gun fights breaking out? However they are at least smart enough not to serve any alcohol.
    Yeah, in TX, you can't bring long guns or rifles into any establishment serving liquor (TABC code, probably for the best). If the owner doesn't remove you via trespassing, they can lose their liquor license.
    Sig/ava made by the amazing Elyssia! ♥

10+ Year Old Account
    aha
    Well, I should have expected that the nuance was too subtle for this thread, even though I highlighted the word "equals".

The word "equals" defines a two-way relationship. The word "is" often defines only a one-way relationship.

For example:

A square is a rectangle. True. All squares belong to the superset of rectangles. (S ⊆ R is True)
    A rectangle is a square. False. Not all rectangles belong to the subset of squares. (R ⊆ S is False)
    A square equals a rectangle. False. The sets of squares and rectangles do not contain the same exact elements. (S = R is False)

So what does that mean in this context?

Empirical evidence is a subset of raw data.
    Not all raw data is empirical evidence.
    Therefore, empirical evidence is raw data, but empirical evidence does not equal raw data.

The fact that I have to spell this out to people is really just indicative of the lack of critical thinking and logical training that exists in the world today. Or at least these forums.
    Last edited by PhaelixWW; 2014-07-04 at 06:22 AM.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

15+ Year Old Account
    The word "is" often defines only a one-way relationship.
    damn, my mind reading failed me again
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    No mind-reading was necessary. I told you that I never said that they were equal. That was the clarification. And it really wasn't all that relevant to the ultimate discussion, I was just trying to make sure you didn't think I meant something that I didn't mean.

But by all means, keep focusing on this tangent instead of rebutting the rest of the post I made earlier.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because Target's clientele are not Wal Mart's.
    This is rich.

15+ Year Old Account
    No mind-reading was necessary. I told you that I never said that they were equal. That was the clarification. And it really wasn't all that relevant to the ultimate discussion, I was just trying to make sure you didn't think I meant something that I didn't mean.

But by all means, keep focusing on this tangent instead of rebutting the rest of the post I made earlier.
    i have no idea why you even started this... what rest?

I'm not sure if this is an English translation thing, but you seem to be missing the coordinating conjunction "or" in the first sentence:
    Observation is part of experimentation. When not performed as an actual experiment, observation can lead to actual experiments. The only difference is that the latter is controlled in some way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    This is rich.
    It's not. I will drive miles to avoid a Walmart if I know there's a Target. And nothing to do with this gun issue.

- - - Updated - - -

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is." --Bill Clinton

English is a fucked up language.

(For fun, if you're into linguistics, check out English-Prime (link)) I don't write that way, but I understand the point.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    This is rich.
    It's also very very true.

It's asinine and cliche. Proximity is the biggest driver of retail preference. Probably an Nth percentage of retail big box shoppers have an exclusive preference between Wal-Mart and Target, or K-Mart, or Big Lots, etc.

I'm all for gun ownerships, own as many AR-15s as you like, open carry, all of it. But I still prefer the rights of a private property owner to set the terms under which one is invited into their property, so Target wins. Even if I think their thinking is foolish, it's still their store.

But but Walmart guarantees the lowest price, so they sell Doritos at $3.48 and fuckface Target sells them at $3.49, the price listed on the package.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    It's asinine and cliche. Proximity is the biggest driver of retail preference. Probably an Nth percentage of retail big box shoppers have an exclusive preference between Wal-Mart and Target, or K-Mart, or Big Lots, etc.
    Really? No, I'll drive an extra mile to get to a Target.

And Big Lots? Lol.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Really? No, I'll drive an extra mile to get to a Target.

And Big Lots? Lol.
    Driver, not absolute and definitive factor In practical terms, Retail Big Box Shopper is going to go to what's closest to them, what's closest to their other errands, what's got the specific item they need (i.e. Target has pretty much abandoned auto and home and garden, Wal-Mart has much less in terms of home decor). Target shoppers are not the Jets and Wal-Mart shoppers are not the Sharks.