Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

when my doctor asks if I own guns, I pull one out and show him. Concealed Carry FTW

Murica!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    But why?
    What could the answer possibly change about the treatment of the child being brought to the pediatrician?

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    What could the answer possibly change about the treatment of the child being brought to the pediatrician?
    During routine physicals, doctors are not treating children. They're assessing the status of their health/asking questions/giving advice.
    Eat yo vegetables

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I love the Constitution. Especially the First Amendment.

Unless, of course, you're using the First Amendment to ask about the Second Amendment. Then it should be illegal!
    You know on some more thoughts about this, the best answer is to lie by saying.. " A gun in my home?. Oh no! Of course not! That would be baaaad."

Because if you refuse to answer the question it would be the same as saying yes in some minds. So like I said, this will only encourage many to lie. Only if they could assure the patients there would be no backlash or harm to them from their answers would you ever get them to tell the truth under those circumstances. And with trust in the government at a all time low, guess what the chances of that happening are?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Because if you refuse to answer the question it would be the same as saying yes in some minds. So like I said, this will only encourage many to lie. Only if they could assure the patients there would be no backlash or harm to them from their answers would you ever get them to tell the truth under those circumstances. And with trust in the government at a all time low, guess what the chances of that happening are?
    You know. You're right. The next time someone gets herpes, they should just lie to the doctor and tell them everything is fine. Don't want to risk the doctors going around telling everyone that you have herpes, right?

What the fuck is wrong with this world when we can't even trust our own medical doctors to not be agents of the government, secretly collecting firearm info from their patients.
    Eat yo vegetables

15+ Year Old Account
    You know on some more thoughts about this, the best answer is to lie by saying.. " A gun in my home?. Oh no! Of course not! That would be baaaad."

Why are you even assuming harm or backlash from your fucking pediatrician?!
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know. You're right. The next time someone gets herpes, they should just lie to the doctor and tell them everything is fine.
    Nice comparison there. Herpes has a medical treatment. Firearm ownership, despite some people's paranoid desire for it to be classified as a disease, does not.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

15+ Year Old Account
    Nice comparison there. Herpes has a medical treatment. Firearm ownership, despite some people's paranoid desire for it to be classified as a disease, does not.
    So when a pediatrician asks about firearm ownership, he/she is what?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not comparing herpes and firearms. I'm making a point concerning the ability of an individual to trust a physician with sensitive information.

Why can we trust a physician to not break confidentiality when it comes to embarrassing diseases, but not firearm ownership? It's absolutely ridiculous.
    Eat yo vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    The pediatrician asked twosixnine marine if he had firearms in the house. I am siding with a medical professional as to the reasoning why he asked.

I know that people think this way it just amazes me every time I see it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Best just to lie to a doctor because I'm scared. Excellent logic.
    Or you could just not answer the question. Funny that lying was your first option.

- - - Updated - - -

Part of a doctors job is to discuss certain health risks with their patients. That's why my doctor asks if I smoke, if I do drugs, if I have sex with women other than my wife, if I wear my seat belt, etc.

Considering the fact that several major health organizations consider firearm violence a public health issue, the questions are completely warranted.
    Your doctor asks if you wear a seat belt? What is going on here?!

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly my question. If you read my OP where this all started from it appears they ask for their database.

- - - Updated - - -

What the fuck is wrong with this world when we can't even trust our own medical doctors to not be agents of the government, secretly collecting firearm info from their patients.
    That's my question because it is what's happening in certain areas like New York.
    Last edited by lockedout; 2014-10-21 at 11:10 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not comparing herpes and firearms. I'm making a point concerning the ability of an individual to trust a physician with sensitive information.

Why can we trust a physician to not break confidentiality when it comes to embarrassing diseases, but not firearm ownership? It's absolutely ridiculous.
    You are comparing the two. I would have no issue telling a doctor about my sexual activity history, because it would be relevant to my health condition and could indicate a future issue and be good knowledge to have for treatment. Such can not be said for a question if I have guns. Totally stupid and unnecessary for him/she to ask that of a patient.

I do not trust a doctor with personal information which I feel he has no need to know. Same as I would not trust a car dealer who asks me a question about my physical health history. :P

- - - Updated - - -

A meddler. Unless there is reasons for the pediatrician to ask the question ( such as a injury to a child due to what looks like it may be made by using a gun ) they would be asking a question which is none of their business.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Never had a pediatrician ask about guns before. Where the hell do you guys live where this is common?

The most personal the kids doc has ever gotten was regarding rusty nails after I had my roof done. . . . . .
    I live in Washington State. First time it's ever been asked for me.

Of course it is their business if they are dealing with your children.
    Because me having or not having weapons will have a great effect on their course of action for dealing with the flu or other illness.

Fact is her question was not relevant to why we were there. And frankly they don't need to know, regardless of why they were asking.

Edit: She seemed like an excellent doctor. I'm not afraid/against doctors at all. I just didn't see the need to answer that question accurately.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Your doctor asks if you wear a seat belt? What is going on here?!
    Yours doesn't? Must be a shit doctor.

When I first got my license, my doctor spoke to me about the things he had seen as an intern in the ER. He advised me as to how I could keep myself healthy and safe while driving, as they should.

That's my question because it is what's happening in certain areas like New York.
    Surely you'll have no problem producing evidence that doctors in New York are secretly collecting information on firearm ownership from their patients.

Surely you'll have no problem.

I would have no issue telling a doctor about my sexual activity history, because it would be relevant to my health condition and could indicate a future issue and be good knowledge to have for treatment.
    You have no idea whether or not the question are relevant. They're the medical professionals. That's why you take your children to see them. Not the other way around.

Just so we're clear here: The American Academy of Pediatrics "recommends that pediatricians incorporate questions about the presence and availability of firearms into their patient history taking and urge parents who possess guns to prevent access to these guns by children."
    Eat yo vegetables

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    Fact is her question was not relevant to why we were there. And frankly they don't need to know, regardless of why they were asking.

Edit: She seemed like an excellent doctor. I'm not afraid/against doctors at all. I just didn't see the need to answer that question accurately.
    Arrogance is not a good trait for your children to be raised upon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Arrogance is not a good trait for your children to be raised upon.

And what about anything I said implies I'm being arrogant?

Her question literally has NOTHING to do with my childs health.

As an intelligent adult I'm aware that my two boys should not be playing with weapons. I don't need a doctor to tell me such things.

I go to her about illnesses, if they are to date on shots, and if their growth patterns are where they should be. Not about whether or not I have weapons and how I should store them.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

15+ Year Old Account
    And what about anything I said implies I'm being arrogant?

Her question literally has NOTHING to do with my childs health.

As an intelligent adult I'm aware that my two boys should not be playing with weapons. I don't need a doctor to tell me such things.

I go to her about illnesses, if they are to date on shots, and if their growth patterns are where they should be. Not about whether or not I have weapons and how I should store them.
    Then why did she ask it? To ruffle your feathers?

10+ Year Old Account
    Then why did she ask it? To ruffle your feathers?
    Doesn't matter to me why she asked it. She doesn't need to know.

There is nothing she couldn't tell me concerning my weapons that I don't already know. If you are a parent who doesn't understand the fact that your kids shouldn't be playing with weapons then you either shouldn't be a parent or shouldn't own weapons lol

So we're just assuming the doctor doesn't know what they're talking about.

10+ Year Old Account
    I fully trust that she knows what she is talking about. Hence why I go to her.

If you or her can explain to me how me informing her I have weapons will affect how she treats my boys when they have the flu or croup by all means let me know.

15+ Year Old Account
    yes, because he´s an intelligent adult and that´s reason enough, period!

- - - Updated - - -

I fully trust that she knows what she is talking about. Hence why I go to her.

If you or her can explain to me how me informing her I have weapons will affect how she treats my boys when they have the flu or croup by all means let me know.
    did you ask her?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.