Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

Deleted
    Probably very usefull for hunting a stampede or when you have to defend yourself against a local riot.

Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    Probably very usefull for hunting a stampede or when you have to defend yourself against a local riot.
    Can't be just having fun at the range...
    Hunting with a 9mm?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Hunting with a 9mm?
    squirrels or mouse, maybe?

15+ Year Old Account
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tku8YI68-JA

something interesting for either side of the discussion
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    [QUOTE=Mayhem;32861054][url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tku8YI68

Points out that any round can kill you. But a .22 round which hits say a leg or arm, may not take a 200 pound guy down. Where as a .357 mag will. And yes Mayhem, I checked the article out. My wife had a uncle who was killed by a .22. Was shot 6 times however. So even a .22 weapon needs to be respected. When I was in the Army, we used a .45 cal. Model 1911. They told us up close and personal, it had the capability not just to kill, but knock down a attacker.

Knock down power is a myth. Shot placement is all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Troof. I also can't help but think of all the times people freak out about the police firing so many rounds, and their only basis for thinking it's inappropriate is all the TV shows where one shot stops everyone in their tracks.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    Troof. I also can't help but think of all the times people freak out about the police firing so many rounds, and their only basis for thinking it's inappropriate is all the TV shows where one shot stops everyone in their tracks.
    Yeah, either that or that it works in other countries quite different and very well.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Maybe to a certain extent. I could see a meth crazed person still charging with a 9mm shot to the chest but I doubt he would still be standing if it was a .44mag round.

That being said, I keep a 9mm near me for home defense because of the mag capacity.

10+ Year Old Account
    So if you had a choice between shooting a .22 several times at a charging bear or one .44 mag. shot, you would select the .22 so you could increase your chances of hitting the right spot?

Something to think about is there are very good reasons cops and the military chooses a higher cal. round than using the much cheaper .22.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    So if you had a choice between shooting a .22 several times at a charging bear or one .44 mag. shot, you would select the .22 so you could increase your chances of hitting the right spot?

Something to think about is there are very good reasons cops and the military chooses a higher cal. round than using the much cheaper .22.
    Its more complicated than that. By that same token I could ask why don't cops and military arm everyone with a Barrett .50 cal?

Weight
    Round Count
    Cost
    Recoil

All those aside. Shot placement > stopping power.

I'd take one .22LR to each eyeball rather than one .44 mag to the thigh. If you can put your shots where you want them, then the bullet size becomes less relevant. This is why I carry 9mm as oppose to .45
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2015-03-22 at 05:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mentia View Post
    Maybe to a certain extent. I could see a meth crazed person still charging with a 9mm shot to the chest but I doubt he would still be standing if it was a .44mag round.

That being said, I keep a 9mm near me for home defense because of the mag capacity.
    Actually, the .44 Mag is not as effective against humans because it is too powerful and most bullets produce a small wound channel because they fail to expand.
    Home defense for me is a 12 ga with #4 backed up by a 1911 in .45.

- - - Updated - - -

Its more complicated than that. By that same token I could ask why don't cops and military arm everyone with a Barrett .50 cal?

Weight
    Round Count
    Cost
    Recoil

All those aside. Shot placement > stopping power.

I'd take one .22LR to each eyeball rather than one .44 mag to the thigh. If you can put your shots where you want them, then the bullet size becomes less relevant. This is why I carry 9mm as oppose to .45
    I have always found the .45 to be superior to the 9mm for accuracy and controllable recoil, but both are far inferior to my .357 revolver for accuracy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

I have always found the .45 to be superior to the 9mm for accuracy and controllable recoil, but both are far inferior to my .357 revolver for accuracy.
    The Ohio State Highway Patrol use to equip their officers with .357's. But they now carry 9mm's for the high capacity of the magazines and still have the capability of doing enough damage. I guess my point is mainly, higher caliber rounds do have the potential to do more damage or otherwise, why not stick to the much cheaper .22 caliber hollow point rounds? Personally for myself, the weapon I use for home defense is a .357 revolver. I have a .22 revolver, but do not have the confidence in it stopping a intruder like I do the .357 mag with copper jacketed hollow points.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    The Ohio State Highway Patrol use to equip their officers with .357's. But they now carry 9mm's for the high capacity of the magazines and still have the capability of doing enough damage. I guess my point is mainly, higher caliber rounds do have the potential to do more damage or otherwise, why not stick to the much cheaper .22 caliber hollow point rounds? Personally for myself, the weapon I use for home defense is a .357 revolver. I have a .22 revolver, but do not have the confidence in it stopping a intruder like I do the .357 mag with copper jacketed hollow points.
    Possibly to give them a level playing field, I don't have any numbers but do criminals carry 9mm more then .22?

Actually, the .44 Mag is not as effective against humans because it is too powerful and most bullets produce a small wound channel because they fail to expand.
    Home defense for me is a 12 ga with #4 backed up by a 1911 in .45.

- - - Updated - - -

9mm defensive loads have come a long way, the wound channel is almost identical to .45

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Possibly to give them a level playing field, I don't have any numbers but do criminals carry 9mm more then .22?
    A .38 cal revolver was the most likely used gun in a crime until at least 2000, long after most police went to 9mms, so perhaps it is better to say criminals upgunned to 9mms to keep pace with the police?

A .38 cal revolver was the most likely used gun in a crime until at least 2000, long after most police went to 9mms, so perhaps it is better to say criminals upgunned to 9mms to keep pace with the police?
    Either way I just figured you would want to outgun or at least be equal to your adversary. Also what Titan said above, the advancement in 9mm loads. What is the most common handgun round currently? Is it the 9mm?

10+ Year Old Account
    9mm defensive loads have come a long way, the wound channel is almost identical to .45
    I was talking accuracy and recoil control, both of which I prefer the .45 for.

Then you would be the exception to the rule. By science the 9mm round is going to have less recoil than a .45 and thus make it more accurate. Now this is in terms of Average Joe.

If you are professional competitor or train with a .45 obviously you will learn to wield it just as well.

The saying goes, "Shoot what you are comfortable with". If that means a .22LR then thats what you should carry.

I carry 9mm (147gr) because it is more forgiving and I can carry double the amount as .45 in most cases in a single magazine. It is also far cheaper to train with because the prices are night and day.

I have a few 1911's in my collection, but I don't carry them 99% of the time.
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2015-03-23 at 01:56 AM.

Then you would be the exception to the rule. By science the 9mm round is going to have less recoil than a .45 and thus make it more accurate. Now this is in terms of Average Joe.

If you are professional competitor or train with a .45 obviously you will learn to wield it just as well.

The saying goes, "Shoot what you are comfortable with". If that means a .22LR then thats what you should carry.

I carry 9mm (147gr) because it is more forgiving and I can carry double the amount as .45 in most cases in a single magazine. It is also far cheaper to train with because the prices are night and day.

I have a few 1911's in my collection, but I don't carry them 99% of the time.
    I find 1911's are too big for me to carry. Then again, I'm not allowed to carry in my state anyways.