Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    How is it oppressive? Besides your noted dislike of the Second Amendment? Which many still feel we have a need for it.
    Just to point out. I'm not in favor of banning guns. Regulate them heavily yes.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    They don't do you any favors. Also Cold Rain stop using that logic.
    In what way does this justify hasty generalizations?

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    That's the wrong quote, and it's very vague about how long between rebellions.

That's the one you're thinking of.

Here's the one I was talking about,

http://student-of-life.newsvine.com/...ink-about-that
    Thomas Jefferson was a man. Not a god, whose every word is absolute truth. He was only one of the founding fathers of this country. Just because he said it does not make it right or necessary for the rest to follow. I am sure every one of the founding fathers had their flaws and personal opinions. The Bill of Rights is just as much needed today as it was in 1776.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Just to point out. I'm not in favor of banning guns. Regulate them heavily yes.
    Regulate heavily?...would have to specify what all that entails. I am not in favor of any laws which would be unreasonably enforceable ( not effective, but causes unneeded hassle for the law abiding citizen ) and too intrusive to the gun owner. The word infringe can also mean to hinder. Which the founding fathers used that word for good reasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bergmann620 View Post
    It's like you can't acknowledge that things can be alike in some, but not all, characteristics. If that were not the case, there would be no point in comparing things- as the only valid comparison for any given object would be an identical object.
    Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    The problem isnt that gun rights advocates dont want gun control. We do...some, like me, are even realists and know that there are holes that need to be closed. What we need is an honest conversation about this with law enforcement personnel, Gun manufacturers and gun rights advocates, and gun control advocates and decide on what measures are reasonable to defeat the problem of guns falling into the wrong hands. There needs to also be a separate discussion and among psychiatrists and law enforcement etc...to help identify problem people and what can be done to realistically monitor those who already own legally purchased firearms who may now have developed issues.

Until there is an honest discussion with those involved there will always be push back. You cant have Politician (lawyers) writing feel good gun control legislation out of knee jerk reactions to this weekends shootings. Because NOTHING they would have passed would have stopped this. They also conveniently ignored the fact that this kid killed his first three victims with a knife and/or hammer. But there isnt much coverage for those victims and their family isnt given a spot in front of a news camera, because their awful story doesnt forward the gun control agenda.
    Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    People are quick to jump on gun control, but this instance is a perfect example (3 stabbed, 3 shot) that this isnt a gun issue. This is an issue with people wanting to harm other people. Other want to get on here and preach the lethality of knives compare to fire arms, when the true debate we should be having is why are people so intent on harming others? How do we identify and help these people and stop these potential crimes?
    I like you two. You both tend to say the things that I'm thinking but don't always articulate properly. Kudos, sirs. I wish you'd stick around this thread a bit more often and inject some desperately needed sense into this bitter morass of a discussion.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigzoman20 View Post
    In what way does this justify hasty generalizations?
    I never said that or implied it. Just pointing out why it gets pointed out.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Thomas Jefferson was a man. Not a god, whose every word is absolute truth. He was only one of the founding fathers of this country. Just because he said it does not make it right or necessary for the rest to follow. I am sure every one of the founding fathers had their flaws and personal opinions. The Bill of Rights is just as much needed today as it was in 1776.

Regulate heavily?...would have to specify what all that entails. I am not in favor of any laws which would be unreasonably enforceable ( not effective, but causes unneeded hassle for the law abiding citizen ) and too intrusive to the gun owner. The word infringe can also mean to hinder. Which the founding fathers used that word for good reasons.

You can't have it both ways. You can't, on one hand, dismiss anything the "founding fathers" said that doesn't fit your narrative, and then use their other quotes to suit your needs. Either they're full of shit, or they aren't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    Either they're full of shit, or they aren't.
    What is this... I don't even... That's not even remotely true.

No one person among the founding fathers had all the answers. Otherwise we'd have a founding father, singular.

Consider: 1 person has 80% good ideas and 20% bad ideas. Obviously, 80% of time, he'd get it right and 20% of the time he'd get it wrong.

Consider: 20 people in a group, each has 80% good ideas and 20% bad ideas. They confer and come up with a consensus on each issue. Unless there's a staggeringly unlucky lineup on their bad ideas, the bad ideas will get outvoted by the good ideas and leave you with something very nearly approaching 100% good ideas.

This isn't a complicated concept.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Many individuals from other countries don't understand the reason behind the 2nd Amendment. They are also not familiar with our justice system in particular with the rulings -- District of Columbia v. Heller, McDonald v. Chicago, etc. Actually, that could be said of many Americans as well, though.

http://www.kltv.com/story/25635541/g...ricans-unaware

Perception is reality.

Good videos...

@2:47
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHLsnzZgdPw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yATeti5GmI8

@2:00
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFzYyJCm494

A decent video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxIIIRnVeTw
    Last edited by Dolus; 2014-05-30 at 09:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The vast majority of gun owners are not some redneck whackos what want to own anything and have no regulation, but that is what we are painted as. It is flat out embarrassing to the democrat party that the national democrats are so obsessed with a ridiculous assault rifle ban, when the realists of us know that that will do literally nothing. Gun owning democrats probably outnumber non-gun owning democrats, and yet we are completely ignored to make more talking points on MSNBC. And I mean real democrats, not people that vote it just for a free ride, as we all know some do. Just like some Republicans only vote for abortion things, or whatever.
    You're a towel.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    'They disagree with our gun control laws! THEY MUST BE REDNECKS.'

Sound logic bud.
    you shouldn´t use the word logic anymore

do you know what you just did?

ruken said: apples are a fruit

and you answered with, therefor every fruit is an apple
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    The vast majority of gun owners are not some redneck whackos what want to own anything and have no regulation, but that is what we are painted as. It is flat out embarrassing to the democrat party that the national democrats are so obsessed with a ridiculous assault rifle ban, when the realists of us know that that will do literally nothing. Gun owning democrats probably outnumber non-gun owning democrats, and yet we are completely ignored to make more talking points on MSNBC. And I mean real democrats, not people that vote it just for a free ride, as we all know some do. Just like some Republicans only vote for abortion things, or whatever.
    Lol, you really don't have a clue do you? Most people that own assault rifles are rednecks. Therefore we can easily ban those first, because only a fraction of the population have those and the voters that have those rifles are going to vote for the GOP anyway, so who cares. Then once assault rifles have been banned, we can claim it had very little impact, then we can limit magazine sizes, and then guns with more than 6 rounds, and then all handguns, and then shotguns and finally hunting rifles, so the only way you're gonna get a firearm is if you have a license and proper training/firearm storage. And then America will finally be as civilized as the rest of the 1st world countries.
    Last edited by mmocff76f9a79b; 2014-05-30 at 09:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Lol, you really don't have a clue do you? Most people that own assault rifles are rednecks. Therefore we can easily ban those first, because only a fraction of the population have those and the voters that have those rifles are going to vote for the GOP anyway, so who cares. Then once assault rifles have been banned, we can claim it had very little impact, then we can limit magazine sizes, and then guns with more than 6 rounds, and then all handguns, and then shotguns and finally hunting rifles, so the only way you're gonna get a firearm is if you have a license and proper training/firearm storage. And then America will finally be as civilized as the rest of the 1st world countries.
    Lol. Says the guy that doesn't live here and has probably never been here.

Oh the Internet.

Pathetic.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by kreebs View Post
    Nation-wide ban on guns is the only solution.
    Good thing that won't happen. Oh wait you're from Denmark and don't understand the cultural differences in America....not just NYC

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Rednecks don't exactly give a shit about laws and government they don't agree with.
    Everyone who is pro 2A is a redneck. That is like saying all liberals are raging homosexuals. Don't do your own intellect THAT much of a disservice....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    What the fuck are you talking about? Do you live in America? Please provide proof that the majority of Assault Rifle owners are "rednecks" You can't so please dont spew that kind of nonsense anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan2k10 View Post
    Good thing that won't happen. Oh wait you're from Denmark and don't understand the cultural differences in America....not just NYC

- - - Updated - - -

Everyone who is pro 2A is a redneck. That is like saying all liberals are raging homosexuals. Don't do your own intellect THAT much of a disservice....

- - - Updated - - -

What the fuck are you talking about? Do you live in America? Please provide proof that the majority of Assault Rifle owners are "rednecks" You can't so please dont spew that kind of nonsense anymore.
    He doesn't even know that the term assault rifle is made up to inspire fear. And most people consider the term assault rifle to be synonomous with a fully automatic rifle (which civilians can't own).

What he really means is that most people that own AR-15s (IE semi automatic rifles), or the many similar variants, are people who disagree with his view on guns.

That's what Ruken and Yilar and all the other people on here throwing around the term redneck mean.

I doubt they even have an exact definition for a redneck. They simply use it because it's considered a derogatory term.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I've never seen a redneck with an assault rifle...and I've been living in the states for over 15 years.
    Live in the south, pretty much everyone with a gun may not have a red neck, but they wear camo, duck dynasty caps and wife beaters, ride 4 wheelers, spout Obama conspiracy theories, and just in general act like Operation American Spring people. Hell there was a pickup truck displaying a giant confederate flag and a KKK flag for awhile. People who don't think this shit happens haven't been to the bible belt.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Live in the south, pretty much everyone with a gun may not have a red neck, but they wear camo, duck dynasty caps and wife beaters, ride 4 wheelers, spout Obama conspiracy theories, and just in general act like Operation American Spring people. Hell there was a pickup truck displaying a giant confederate flag and a KKK flag for awhile. People who don't think this shit happens haven't been to the bible belt.
    "Hey guys! Let's generalize 40% of a nation because this one time I saw a truck with a confederate flag AND a KKK flag. Plus they had camo on and stuff!!"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    He doesn't even know that the term assault rifle is made up to inspire fear.
    It's really funny because the only people who have used "assault rifle" are the gunners using it as a point of ridicule. Everyone moved on from the assault rifle discussion long ago, well except that side. But that side tends to like to be stuck in the past. I suppose that applies to discussions as well. "Har har har you wanna ban assault rifles, how stupid of you!" "Dude nobody but you has talked about assault rifles for 1000 pages."
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

There is a constitutional right to bare arms. The vast majority of gun owners will never use them to shoot someone. So, what you are arguing is because a few people can't handle the responsibility of owning a firearm, everyone should have their constitutional right removed. That just does not sit well with me at all, its like saying because a few people cried "fire" in a theater that the first amendment should be revoked.

I support mandatory background checks, a waiting period and even a psychological evaluation, but I will NEVER support a ban.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    "Hey guys! Let's generalize 40% of a nation because this one time I saw a truck with a confederate flag AND a KKK flag. Plus they had camo on and stuff!!"
    The KKK flag was one truck, everything else is pretty much everywhere. I feel like more of them are moving to constructed freedom camps in the woods, or something. They've been less prevalent in the city limits lately, but maybe that's just the liberal progress being made, as we elected our first female/Democrat mayor and the city gets a ton of its problems fixed.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's really funny because the only people who have used "assault rifle" are the gunners using it as a point of ridicule. Everyone moved on from the assault rifle discussion long ago, well except that side. But that side tends to like to be stuck in the past. I suppose that applies to discussions as well. "Har har har you wanna ban assault rifles, how stupid of you!" "Dude nobody but you has talked about assault rifles for 1000 pages."
    I was quoting a guy on 'your side' who just brought the term up. How does that imply that I'm "bringing up the past"?