Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    how does a non-gun owner come into possession of a gun if not because of irresponsible gun owners?

and at what point does someone become a gun owner?
    According to the 9th circuit, last I looked, you're not in possession of a gun, even if you own the gun, if it's in the trunk of your car.

On the other hand, you're in control of your car and can be arrested for DUI if you decide to take a drunk nap near it or in it, even if you lock your keys in the trunk.

So, basically no logically coherent answer to your questions.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2014-06-29 at 10:07 AM.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Deleted
    Would be funny if they did a 180 and made it a law that everyone has to own a gun:P

I think it would make the world a better place. Just think about it. On one side there are the psychopath who might snap and start shooting people but on another, it would make everyone equal too. If you bully/rob/antagonize someone there is always the risk of you just getting shot. Of course it would be perfect if guns wouldnt actually kill or waste taxpayers money though. Just make the one who gets "shot" feel like theyre in hell for a few days and then theyd be fine.

But since we dont have that just yet.. guns are a good alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    On one side there are the psychopath who might snap and start shooting people but on another, it would make everyone equal too.
    Your name is not John Rambo or Jack Bauer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Jack Bauer.
    Who is that?:O

Who is that?:O

AKA, not you, not me, not anyone here.

Deleted

AKA, not you, not me, not anyone here.
    He looks like the old cpt. Kirk from Star Trek or something.. him or Man-Kirks wife.

Thing is though, I think most people are pretty responsible and guns are a great equalizer. I mean a midget who hasnt worked out a day in his or her life could still shoot a huge brutish 250 lb hulk who has just been released from jail.

Thing is though, I think most people are pretty responsible and guns are a great equalizer. I mean a midget who hasnt worked out a day in his or her life could still shoot a huge brutish 250 lb hulk who has just been released from jail.
    No one is disputing that people are mostly responsible or that guns are an equalizer. My point, I've said before, this is real life. You're not an action hero.

Deleted
    No one is disputing that people are mostly responsible or that guns are an equalizer. My point, I've said before, this is real life. You're not an action hero.
    Never claimed to be actually.. and I dont even own a gun. But I think if someone breaks into my house I have every right to shoot that person on sight. But as female, if that person is a big muscular man, I would stand no chance without a gun.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Never claimed to be actually.. and I dont even own a gun. But I think if someone breaks into my house I have every right to shoot that person on sight. But as female, if that person is a big muscular man, I would stand no chance without a gun.
    I agree. If you do decide to get a gun for protection in your home, take the time to learn how to operate and use it safely. And to practice with it at times to keep yourself familiar with how to use it. And if you have kids or visits from them, store it away so they do not have access to it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    no, you have to explain what this has to do with what i wrote?

how does a non-gun owner come into possession of a gun if not because of irresponsible gun owners?

and at what point does someone become a gun owner?
    A criminal can break into your home and steal ( take the whole safe ) or break into the safe you have the guns in. Or break into your car and steal it from your locked glove compartment or trunk, to name but a couple ways. You are only the owner of a gun when you ether buy it or have it given to you as a gift by the legal owner. Simple answer.

Would be funny if they did a 180 and made it a law that everyone has to own a gun:P

I think it would make the world a better place. Just think about it. On one side there are the psychopath who might snap and start shooting people but on another, it would make everyone equal too. If you bully/rob/antagonize someone there is always the risk of you just getting shot. Of course it would be perfect if guns wouldnt actually kill or waste taxpayers money though. Just make the one who gets "shot" feel like theyre in hell for a few days and then theyd be fine.

But since we dont have that just yet.. guns are a good alternative.
    KENNESAW, Ga - Several Kennesaw officials attribute a drop in crime in the city over the past two decades to a law that requires residents to have a gun in the house.

In 1982, the Kennesaw City Council unanimously passed a law requiring heads of households to own at least one firearm with ammunition.

The ordinance states the gun law is needed to "protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants."

Then-councilman J.O. Stephenson said after the ordinance was passed, everyone "went crazy."

"People all over the country said there would be shootings in the street and violence in homes," he said. "Of course, that wasn't the case."

In fact, according to Stephenson, it caused the crime rate in the city to plunge.

Kennesaw Historical Society president Robert Jones said following the law's passage, the crime rate dropped 89 percent in the city, compared to the modest 10 percent drop statewide.

"It did drop after it was passed," he said. "After it initially dropped, it has stayed at the same low level for the past 16 years."

Er, I'm confused. In this thread it has often been repeated that you don't need ANY training to immediately become proficient enough with a gun to engage in killing sprees. Are you saying that is an error? A gun can make you a villain, but not a hero, I guess?

Of course, my (and most among the gunrights side) stance has always been that having a gun does not somehow make you capable of using it effectively in defense, any more than it makes you good at a killing spree. It's just a tool that the user learns to utilize. You don't have to be an action hero to help people in a situation and a gun might help.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethh View Post
    KENNESAW, Ga - Several Kennesaw officials attribute a drop in crime in the city over the past two decades to a law that requires residents to have a gun in the house.

In 1982, the Kennesaw City Council unanimously passed a law requiring heads of households to own at least one firearm with ammunition.

The ordinance states the gun law is needed to "protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants."

Then-councilman J.O. Stephenson said after the ordinance was passed, everyone "went crazy."

"People all over the country said there would be shootings in the street and violence in homes," he said. "Of course, that wasn't the case."

In fact, according to Stephenson, it caused the crime rate in the city to plunge.

Kennesaw Historical Society president Robert Jones said following the law's passage, the crime rate dropped 89 percent in the city, compared to the modest 10 percent drop statewide.

"It did drop after it was passed," he said. "After it initially dropped, it has stayed at the same low level for the past 16 years."
    1. The ordinance isn't enforced in the least.
    2. Because of 1, polls of the populace have shown that actual ownership didn't go up that much.
    3. The simple existence of the law may have caused crime to drop, but analysis of cities with similar gun ownership showed no drop in crime, and have higher crime rates.
    4. In accordance with 3, the 80's and 90's were the time of great suburbanization. Kennesaw was one of the Atlanta suburbs that went from a rural area to upper middle class suburb, where many of the other suburbs are not as wealthy, and as we all know crime is more linked to wealth than any other factor.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Er, I'm confused. In this thread it has often been repeated that you don't need ANY training to immediately become proficient enough with a gun to engage in killing sprees. Are you saying that is an error? A gun can make you a villain, but not a hero, I guess?
    A killing spree is much easier than pinpointing a target in a chaotic situation and taking it out without causing collateral damage to the fellows around you.

A killing spree is much easier than pinpointing a target in a chaotic situation and taking it out without causing collateral damage to the fellows around you.
    Being able to effectively hit a target requires the same proficiency in either situation. You're not going to just magically hit your targets because you're on a shooting spree instead of stopping a shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    Being able to effectively hit a target requires the same proficiency in either situation. You're not going to just magically hit your targets because you're on a shooting spree instead of stopping a shooter.
    I have 10 balls. I can throw one up and catch it every time. If I throw all ten up, my chances of catching that same one are reduced. My chances of catching a different one are still pretty much 100 percent.

I'm sorry if you don't understand my analogy. I know you won't.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    1. The ordinance isn't enforced in the least.
    2. Because of 1, polls of the populace have shown that actual ownership didn't go up that much.
    3. The simple existence of the law may have caused crime to drop, but analysis of cities with similar gun ownership showed no drop in crime, and have higher crime rates.
    4. In accordance with 3, the 80's and 90's were the time of great suburbanization. Kennesaw was one of the Atlanta suburbs that went from a rural area to upper middle class suburb, where many of the other suburbs are not as wealthy, and as we all know crime is more linked to wealth than any other factor.
    What's your point?

His point is that link means nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    just some FYI since i know there will be know changing of minds on this topic:
    http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/...ublic-unaware/

Sorry your link shows that gun violence is down, there is no place for that here! In before "But all crime is down so gun crime being down does not matter!"
    You're a towel.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    Sorry your link shows that gun violence is down, there is no place for that here! In before "But all crime is down so gun crime being down does not matter!"
    And therefore boohoo self defense argument fails. Unless you're in the anti-gubment crowd and think an AR15 or handgun answers a targeted military strike. But, whatever.

I have 10 balls. I can throw one up and catch it every time. If I throw all ten up, my chances of catching that same one are reduced. My chances of catching a different one are still pretty much 100 percent.

I'm sorry if you don't understand my analogy. I know you won't.
    I'm sorry, but throwing a ball in the air (or 10) has absolutely nothing to do with shooting a gun at someone, regardless of whether you're on a shooting spree or trying to stop an active shooter. Both scenarios require the same proficiency with a firearm. Random ass 'analogies' won't change that.