Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    You are willing to violate their right to due presses?
    What? / 1234

10+ Year Old Account
    Titan, you are arguing that you should take away rights of criminals by keeping them in jail, just to argue that their right to own guns is available when they are free.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    There are some good reasons not to allow some convicted felon to ever have a gun. A person is convicted of armed robbery, injures a another person in the process and they should be allowed later to have a gun? They lost their right to ever have a gun when they tried to use one in committing a crime. Endangering others in the process. Some rights we forfeit forever when we disobey the law by committing a felon.
    The alternative is to violate their rights by keeping them in jail, not for the time they are due to serve, but a time when they are deemed safe to own a gun. The goal of our justice system is to make sure people are safe to own guns. /facepalm
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

No I am saying if they are to dangerous to have their rights restored, then they are to dangerous to be allowed outside of a jail.

Edit: Hey smartguy... there are more to rights than gun ownership... holy derp

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    No I am saying if they are to dangerous to have their rights restored, then they are to dangerous to be allowed outside of a jail.
    Keeping them in jail past their sentence is taking away a lot of rights.

Hey smartguy... there are more to rights than gun ownership... holy derp
    You mean like due process? You are the one arguing to keep people in jail until they are safe around guns. I'm the one saying felons already lose the right to vote and keeping people in jail indefinitely is a violation of rights.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Jeez you are dense. I'm not sure how to better clarify to you without you putting words in my mouth.

O_o

10+ Year Old Account
    Jeez you are dense. I'm not sure how to better clarify to you without you putting words in my mouth.

O_o
    Try replacing every instance of insults with a coherent reply.

Titan, you are arguing that you should take away rights of criminals by keeping them in jail, just to argue that their right to own guns is available when they are free.

- - - Updated - - -

The alternative is to violate their rights by keeping them in jail, not for the time they are due to serve, but a time when they are deemed safe to own a gun. The goal of our justice system is to make sure people are safe to own guns. /facepalm
    I think what he is trying to argue, and I would agree to a certain point is that, why are we releasing people if we cant trust them to follow the laws of society.

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    I think what he is trying to argue, and I would agree to a certain point is that, why are we releasing people if we cant trust them to follow the laws of society.
    If someone has served their time and been released, they shouldn't be considered a criminal anymore. That's my biggest beef with the sex offender registry, it's a punishment that never ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because they served the time they were convicted for. Not trusting someone with gun ownership, shouldn't inhibit every other right. Gun ownership is not paramount to an individual's release, their jail sentence is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    If someone has served their time and been released, they shouldn't be considered a criminal anymore. That's my biggest beef with the sex offender registry, it's a punishment that never ends.
    What's the alternative? Indefinite detention?

Prisons that actually rehabilitate people instead of just housing/creating career criminals. That'd be a start.
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Prisons that actually rehabilitate people instead of just housing/creating career criminals. That'd be a start.
    What do we do until that happens?

What do we do until that happens?
    Leave things as they are? The problem isn't with keeping criminals away from guns, its with keeping people uninterested in crime.

Pfffft....

We all know addressing an inanimate object will deter crime.

Because they served the time they were convicted for. Not trusting someone with gun ownership, shouldn't inhibit every other right. Gun ownership is not paramount to an individual's release, their jail sentence is.
    I understand that, but what you are saying is they cant have guns because they could commit another crime with a gun. The point is not that they could commit a crime with a gun, the point is they are willing to commit a crime period! So release is not dependent on gun ownership, it is dependent on their willingness to revert back to a life of crime.

I think we should explore detention until rehabilitated. Instead of a set time frame, maybe we should look at achieving specific goals before being released. The system we have does not work, it doesnt work by design. The for profit prison industry wants recidivism, its a good way to keep prisons full.

Sex offender registry, those who commit crimes with computers arent allowed around computers anymore etc.. I agree, it is wrong. If these people are so dangerous that they cant be around kids anymore then why are we sentencing these people in a way that they could be free again?

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    you heard it here first, one guy can kill another with a vote o_O
    You asked whether they're in the same category, not whether they are physically the same things. Yes, they're both Constitutionally guaranteed rights. Ask better gotcha questions next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    you´re ok with mentally ill and criminals being armed?
    Well, first of all, this is a bit of a silly way to phrase it, as gun control laws do not stop criminals from being armed. So whether or not I'm against gun control laws has nothing to do with my feelings about criminals getting access to guns.

But yes to both.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leave things as they are? The problem isn't with keeping criminals away from guns, its with keeping people uninterested in crime.
    When talking about convicted criminals, it's keeping people from doing something we already know they are capable and willing to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Pfffft....

We all know addressing an inanimate object will deter crime.
    That's only relevant when you ignore what the inanimate object actually is.

Regurgitation. Over and over and over.

15+ Year Old Account
    you have for profit prisons... i doubt rehabilitation is anywhere on the agenda

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mahourai View Post
    You asked whether they're in the same category, not whether they are physically the same things. Yes, they're both Constitutionally guaranteed rights. Ask better gotcha questions next time.
    excuse my wording, mistakes happen when it´s not your first language, but i was under the impression that this was within the context, why else would you compare one to another right? just for the sake of mentioning that there are other rights?

Quote Originally Posted by Mahourai View Post
    Well, first of all, this is a bit of a silly way to phrase it, as gun control laws do not stop criminals from being armed. So whether or not I'm against gun control laws has nothing to do with my feelings about criminals getting access to guns.

But yes to both.
    they don´t stop every criminal from being armed, but saying they don´t stop criminals from being armed is factually wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    I understand that, but what you are saying is they cant have guns because they could commit another crime with a gun. The point is not that they could commit a crime with a gun, the point is they are willing to commit a crime period! So release is not dependent on gun ownership, it is dependent on their willingness to revert back to a life of crime.
    The release depends on the sentence, not their willingness to revert back. It's more to do with removing inanimate objects that assisted them in commuting crimes they were convicted off. It's people who I used the right to end up in jail...

I think we should explore detention until rehabilitated. Instead of a set time frame, maybe we should look at achieving specific goals before being released. The system we have does not work, it doesnt work by design. The for profit prison industry wants recidivism, its a good way to keep prisons full.
    Even if they are rehabilitated, why do they get back a right that they abused to end up in jail? They served their time and are free, but with limits directly set to the crime they committed. Don't want to lose your rights to owning a gun, don't commit the very crimes that make people want to ban guns for everyone.

Sex offender registry, those who commit crimes with computers arent allowed around computers anymore etc.. I agree, it is wrong. If these people are so dangerous that they cant be around kids anymore then why are we sentencing these people in a way that they could be free again?
    Because they may be still be a danger due to the actions they already took. You don't take away all their rights by keeping them in jail indefinitely, but limit the rights as it pertains to a crime they actually committed. They are free, because outside of contact with kids, they have no predisposition to commit any other crime. Which is why instead of keeping them indefinitely to boost the coffers of for profit prisons, they are set free with limitations to protect from them doing what they have done before. With guns specifically, they need self defense from people like them selfs?

Because they may be still be a danger due to the actions they already took. You don't take away all their rights by keeping them in jail indefinitely, but limit the rights as it pertains to a crime they actually committed.
    Right, which is why we cut the hands off thieves.