Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    magazines? people would break the law for magazine sizes? on what do you base this idea that prohibition doesn´t work?
    This isn't a prohibition doesn't work, it's a "people might break laws so we shouldn't have them". A rather intellectually devoid argument, considering most citizens are law abiding.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    Well when you keep pushing for policy that are intrusive its hard not to think you support the behavior.
    when did i push for intrusive policies?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    This isn't a prohibition doesn't work, it's a "people might break laws so we shouldn't have them". A rather intellectually devoid argument, considering most citizens are law abiding.
    guess i should´ve seperated my questions more noticeable
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

out of context, well i´m not surprised anymore
    Just because you don't understand how the post is relevant, doesn't mean it's not. Police enforce the laws based on exigent circumstances. That's is the very definition of their jobs around the globe.

magazines? people would break the law for magazine sizes? on what do you base this idea that prohibition doesn´t work?
    Generally speaking, people will break the law to do all kinds of things, I would argue manufacturing a high capacity magazine would be one of them.

Does it really need to be illustrated that prohibition doesn't work? Just look at the war on drugs, we've spent billions (perhaps even trillions at this point?) and illegal drugs still flow into and out of this country every minute. Look how many people we have incarcerated and how much it costs.

Or look at other gun control laws that attempted to do this. The previous Federal Assault Weapons ban saw manufacturer's take already existing platforms that were banned, and modify them just enough as to be "unbanned," but functionally identical.

- - - Updated - - -

Way to erect that strawman. And it's only Monday!

Prohibition is an ineffective and frivolous way to control anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Yeah lets create more laws, to in prison more people for non violent crimes. the majority of gun crime comes from drug crime. Cut off the drugs, cut off the funding...but who gets funded?

"You know who doesn't want drugs legalized? It's a fairly decent-sized list; let's try it.

The Mexican gangs that run billions worth of the drugs into the US. Their income source would evaporate. All those guns, ammunition and gang-banging they do requires money, and this would eviscerate their income.

The US "street gangs" that distribute the drugs. Their income source would disappear. Not only are guns expensive but so are flashy cars, grills on the teeth and $300 "sports figure" tennis shoes. Suddenly the ability to make a thousand dollars a day, tax-free, would disappear. By the way, may I ask exactly what job a young black man can opt for that has that income potential? Good luck with your list of alternatives that have equal earnings capacity, and thus good luck with your argument that this isn't an economic decision.

The cops that make billions allegedly "interdicting" said drugs. Some departments have half of their budgets made up of forfeiture proceeds. That corrosive impact extends all the way down to your local police department and all the way up to the FBI. Never mind the jails we have to build, staff and operate to lock up all these participants in consensual economic transactions.

The politicians who want their wedge issues -- specifically, gun control and welfare. Yeah, it doesn't make the news when a black guy shoots another black guy on a corner in Chicago. But when it spills out where white people can see it (e.g. on Michigan Avenue in the MagMile area) then it suddenly becomes a screaming point for said politicians to exploit.

The members of the public who want their polemics to demonize people who aren't like them."

Addressing the drug issue in a way that destroys the un-taxed market would do more then any gun law presented here. But no lets ague over semantics about what items on a gun make it more lethal for the children.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Just because you don't understand how the post is relevant, doesn't mean it's not. Police enforce the laws based on exigent circumstances. That's is the very definition of their jobs around the globe.
    i know you think it´s relevant, i´ll leave you in that imagination

Generally speaking, people will break the law to do all kinds of things, I would argue manufacturing a high capacity magazine would be one of them.

Does it really need to be illustrated that prohibition doesn't work? Just look at the war on drugs, we've spent billions (perhaps even trillions at this point?) and illegal drugs still flow into and out of this country every minute. Look how many people we have incarcerated and how much it costs.

Or look at other gun control laws that attempted to do this. The previous Federal Assault Weapons ban saw manufacturer's take already existing platforms that were banned, and modify them just enough as to be "unbanned," but functionally identical.
    because prohibition doesn´t work with addictive substances prohibition doesn´t work anywhere

comparing weapons or it´s accessories to drugs

- - - Updated - - -

Addressing the drug issue in a way that destroys the un-taxed market would do more then any gun law presented here. But no lets ague over semantics about what items on a gun make it more lethal for the children.
    you probably want to take a look at the thread title
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Are you trying to imply that drugs are not the root cause of the majority of gun violence in the US? I hope not. Because most of our gun control laws stem from gun violence. I just find it telling that you still want to remove a tool and not address the situation.

because prohibition doesn´t work with addictive substances prohibition doesn´t work anywhere
    I dont think it will work, not because prohibition doesnt work, but because there are alreayd millions of high capacity magazines in the hands of people already. You can ban the manufacture of them in the US thats fine, but if people really wanted to buy them they can still go online and purchase them, or purchase them overseas and bring them back.

Unless you are going to go house to house searching fr high capacity magazines there will still be high capacity magazines in the US. The criminal buying illegal guns will still have access to high capacity magazines through the illegal arms market.

i know you think it´s relevant, i´ll leave you in that imagination
    Explaining how police perform their job directly corroborates Phaelix's comment. The one who is lost in their imagination is you.

comparing weapons or it´s accessories to drugs
    Is alcohol addictive? Didn't work with that, either. Nor did it work with the previous AW ban. Nice hand waiving, though. Must be that you are stuck in your own imagination.
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Or we could just make more baseless comparisons since we don't have any logical base to stand on.

15+ Year Old Account
    Are you trying to imply that drugs are not the root cause of the majority of gun violence in the US? I hope not. Because most of our gun control laws stem from gun violence. I just find it telling that you still want to remove a tool and not address the situation.
    great imagination you have there, i´m going to discuss war on drugs in the appropriate thread because i believe the topic is just too big to just scrape it

- - - Updated - - -

Explaining how police perform their job directly corroborates Phaelix's comment. The one who is lost in their imagination is you.
    everyone in here knows you wouldn´t admit to being wrong, you made a statement that is true, with regards to something else, trying to confirm their statement

you used a different wording and are out of context as usual, i´m not going to do this again, if Phaelix want´s to argue about his statement i will, but why should i argue about his statement with you?

Is alcohol addictive? Didn't work with that, either. Nor did it work with the previous AW ban. Nice hand waiving, though. Must be that you are stuck in your own imagination.
    yes alcohol can be addictive, can firearms or accessories be addictive? ridiculous comparisons away

i like though that your examples from more than 80 years ago are enough to say that prohibition doesn´t work, period

- - - Updated - - -

Or we could just make more baseless comparisons since we don't have any logical base to stand on.
    firearms compared to cars = ridiculous
    firearms compared to drugs/alcohol = why not

i do wonder if he can find anything backing up his "prohibition doesn´t work" and if he can paint it on prohibition or on other incidents that made prohibition not work not seeing a difference

firearms compared to cars = ridiculous
    firearms compared to drugs/alcohol = why not

i do wonder if he can find anything backing up his "prohibition doesn´t work" and if he can paint it on prohibition or on other incidents that made prohibition not work not seeing a difference
    It's not just prohibition doesn't work, it's that it doesn't work for anything. Really? I can think of quite a few things it works out well for.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    I dont think it will work, not because prohibition doesnt work, but because there are alreayd millions of high capacity magazines in the hands of people already. You can ban the manufacture of them in the US thats fine, but if people really wanted to buy them they can still go online and purchase them, or purchase them overseas and bring them back.

Unless you are going to go house to house searching fr high capacity magazines there will still be high capacity magazines in the US. The criminal buying illegal guns will still have access to high capacity magazines through the illegal arms market.
    people apparently have very little faith that the citizens of the united states remain law abiding

- - - Updated - - -

It's not just prohibition doesn't work, it's that it doesn't work for anything. Really? I can think of quite a few things it works out well for.
    can´t be, you know it

people apparently have very little faith that the citizens of the united states remain law abiding
    That depends on the law. People break speed limit laws regularly. People cross state lines to purchase tobacco and alcohol products to escape paying higher taxes regularly. People cross state lines to purchase fireworks regularly. Employers hire illegal workers regularly. Drive without a seat-belt, drive while using a cellphone/eating/applying makeup. DUI. Underage drinking. Jaywalking, not getting a dog license. Illegally downloading music and movies. and on...and on...and on

People are not law abiding if they disagree with a law, think the law is too restrictive of their rights or dont think they will get caught.

10+ Year Old Account
    because of the stories i´ve read and heard about american law enforcement...
    Yeah, and:
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    I was just pointing out that this is hardly only the case in America.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

everyone in here knows you wouldn´t admit to being wrong, you made a statement that is true, with regards to something else, trying to confirm their statement

you used a different wording and are out of context as usual, i´m not going to do this again, if Phaelix want´s to argue about his statement i will, but why should i argue about his statement with you?
    It's really tiresome with you people resorting to the "oh let me just copypasta some reply I heard from *insert anti-gunner here* since I can't counter Tiny's argument."

You are simply wrong. Enforcing the law based on exigent circumstances is exactly what every police officer has done since policing was a thing. It happens in the US, it happens in Europe. It happens EVERYWHERE. That was Phaelix's point, and it's true regardless of whether or not you want to let it into your fantasy land.

yes alcohol can be addictive, can firearms or accessories be addictive? ridiculous comparisons away
    It's an apt comparison about how prohibiting something doesn't prevent it's use, but just makes said use more dangerous by involving criminals.

Also, I know you live in a fantasy world, but alcohol isn't addictive.

i like though that your examples from more than 80 years ago are enough to say that prohibition doesn´t work, period
    Keep on dodging, goal post moving and hand waiving, it's comical when you people refuse to acknowledge truths.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't need to back this up, 5 seconds of effort on your part to be informed would show you examples of how prohibition doesn't work.

But, you'll just hand waive and dance because you are literally incapable of letting anything shatter your fantasies.

- - - Updated - - -

And what would those things be?

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, I know you live in a fantasy world, but alcohol isn't addictive.
    Alcohol isn't addictive? Whaaaaaat? Since when?

I'm guessing that's another statement you'll refuse to retract, or admit your wrong about.
    Eat yo vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post

I'm guessing that's another statement you'll refuse to retract, or admit your wrong about.
    It isn't.

The effects can create psychological dependency, but there is no chemical addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    I know right? It's funny. Someone may want to let doctors know.

I know right? It's funny. Someone may want to let doctors know.
    Psychological dependence is different than a substance being "addictive."

10+ Year Old Account
    It isn't.

The effects can create psychological dependency, but there is no chemical addiction.
    Ethanol isn't a psychoactive drug?
    Eat yo vegetables