Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Anyone want to defend this woman? Does anyone think she should be allowed to fire a weapon under these conditions?
    She is in the wrong. If he charged her and tried to assault her then sure. But it looks as though he was running away.

She should have had it ready if the guy did do anything crazy. But that's about it.

They should have just pinned the guy to the ground and waited for the the police (which it looks like the other folk were doing).
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The link is fine for me. You'd have to watch the video and see for yourself.
    I see. But I will agree with TwoNineMarine which I normally do anyway. Guess it was asking too much from you to give me a short version of why you think she should not have one.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I see. But I will agree with TwoNineMarine which I normally do anyway. Guess it was asking too much from you to give me a short version of why you think she should not have one.
    A woman is pointing her gun at a supposed thief while 2 men are trying to pin him down, when he manages to get up and runs away she shots just above his head, he immediately falls to the ground, realizing he hasn´t been shot gets up and starts running again. She keeps her gun drawn the whole time while 3 men follow him and finally get a hold of him across the street when the women calmly walks off her gun still drawn but pointing at the ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Anyone want to defend this woman? Does anyone think she should be allowed to fire a weapon under these conditions?
    Firing the weapon under these conditions? Sure.

Firing a warning shot? Nope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Could you describe these conditions?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post

Firing a warning shot? Nope.
    Not sure if I followed that. Are you intending to say that she should be allowed to fire her weapon at a shoplifter running away from her?
    Eat yo vegetables

Not sure if I followed that. Are you intending to say that she should be allowed to fire her weapon at a shoplifter running away from her?
    No.

I don't have a problem with a person discharging a firearm in a public place and in close proximity to bystanders, which is what I presumed you meant when you said "these conditions."
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Also this thing was pretty much useless since 2007 when they stopped taking photographs.
    It was just as useless when they were taking photos, too, which was the point.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    It was just as useless when they were taking photos, too, which was the point.
    I'd argue that ballistic databases are fairly useful. There's seems to be quite a few reasons why Maryland's failed. The system itself seemed to be riddled with flaws, spitting out hundreds of matches for a single casing. They also mention that the majority of firearms used in crimes were purchased more than 15 years ago, and the Maryland system didn't yet have casings that were even 15 years old. Even the forensic scientist interviewed said "It's still possible that the collection of casings could have greater forensic value in the future."
    Eat yo vegetables

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Can not click on that link with my security settings. So in essence why do you think she shouldn't?
    It is the purse snatcher in Waco, Texas where the woman fired a warning shot over the head of the guy trying to get away from the group attempting to detain him.

Edit: Nevermind. Been addressed already. I'm slow on the responses today.
    Last edited by Rooflesstoofless; 2015-11-25 at 06:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    They also mention that the majority of firearms used in crimes were purchased more than 15 years ago, and the Maryland system didn't yet have casings that were even 15 years old.
    No, sorry.

According to the ATF, in 2014 fully a quarter of the crime guns traced in Maryland had a time-to-crime of under 3 years. And their average time-to-crime was 13.28 years.

What's also telling is that of the only 26 matches they made during those 15 years, none provided new leads as the detectives had already formed the link via other evidence.

Even the forensic scientist interviewed said "It's still possible that the collection of casings could have greater forensic value in the future."
    It's also possible that I might win the lottery one of these days.

Possible != Probable.

Actually, considering that the collection provided 0 forensic value, I suppose even one matched shell casing in the future would technically "have greater forensic value".

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Man kills Waffle House employee over not being allowed to smoke inside the restaurant:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b08e945feb3837

I feel really bad for the shooter. Sure, the fact that he was carrying a gun didn't end well in this situation. But if a robber or terrorist had come into the restaurant, you'd all be calling this guy a hero. He is just another responsible gun owner who was simply having a bad day.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2015-11-29 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Doobner View Post
    Man kills Waffle House employee over not being allowed to smoke inside the restaurant:

I feel really bad for the shooter. Sure, the fact that he was carrying a gun didn't end well in this situation. But if a robber or terrorist had come into the restaurant, you'd all be calling this guy a hero. He is just another responsible gun owner who was simply having a bad day.
    I didn't see if it said he legally owned the firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    I didn't see if it said he legally owned the firearm.
    Why even bother responding to someone who is obviously trolling?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Doobner View Post

armed society is polite society right that is what i was told

Quote Originally Posted by sephaphath View Post
    armed society is polite society right that is what i was told
    You realize for that premise to be challenged, the Waffle House staff would by need have been armed, and the guy still have attacked, right?

I'd argue that ballistic databases are fairly useful. There's seems to be quite a few reasons why Maryland's failed. The system itself seemed to be riddled with flaws, spitting out hundreds of matches for a single casing. They also mention that the majority of firearms used in crimes were purchased more than 15 years ago, and the Maryland system didn't yet have casings that were even 15 years old. Even the forensic scientist interviewed said "It's still possible that the collection of casings could have greater forensic value in the future."
    The problem with the fired shell casing database is that it's not really fingerprints (whatever your opinion on fingerprints may be). You're dealing with scratches that may change with repeated shooting and normal wear and tear and may be quite similar/ indistinguishable from other models of similar design.

Also, they said "on average, most guns", I don't think they understood the statistics they were quoting. "Average Time To Crime" might be 15 years (though Phaelix quotes the accurate numbers), but that means that some are 1 year, some are 30 years. PLUS, the longer from initial purchase, the more likely it is that the gun used had passed through multiple hands, making this initial database mostly worthless for that purpose. The idea that the person puts forth that suddenly at the 15 year mark, a bunch of crime guns would suddenly be traceable is just silly.

It's entirely possible that the database may have resulted in aiding some cases at some point, but it was costing a lot of money before they defunded it, and still costing money to store, let alone the impact on manufacturers or purchasers/ dealers that I'm sure you care little about, but it's there.

- - - Updated - - -

It's one of the things that always bugged me on TV shows, when the cop draws their gun on a fleeing suspect, but they won't shoot because you can't just shoot someone like that without special circumstances.

But, also amusing, just like the story of the lady shooting the tires out from under a shoplifter, the news makes sure that the shoplifter is an alleged shoplifter, or the purse snatcher is an alleged purse snatcher, but the shooter is a shooter, not an alleged shooter.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    But, also amusing, just like the story of the lady shooting the tires out from under a shoplifter, the news makes sure that the shoplifter is an alleged shoplifter, or the purse snatcher is an alleged purse snatcher, but the shooter is a shooter, not an alleged shooter.
    Did the bullets just materialize and fire themselves in the vehicle? Or were there other people with drawn weapons at the scene?

No? Then it doesn't make any sense to say "alleged shooter", as that is not in doubt.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Did the bullets just materialize and fire themselves in the vehicle? Or were there other people with drawn weapons at the scene?

No? Then it doesn't make any sense to say "alleged shooter", as that is not in doubt.
    No matter the proof, it's always "alleged" until the trial, was there any confusion as to who the purse snatcher was?
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

10+ Year Old Account
    Patron kills Waffle House worker who asked him not to smoke
    BILOXI, Miss. -- A customer pulled out a gun and shot and killed an employee at a Waffle House restaurant in Mississippi on Friday after she asked him not to smoke, police said.

Police received a call about the shooting at 1:11 a.m. Friday in Biloxi, said Biloxi police Sgt. Donnie Dobbs. The customer, Johnny Max Mount, had argued with an employee after being told that he could not smoke, Dobbs said.

"He pulled out a handgun and shot her in the head," Dobbs said.

The woman died on the way to the hospital, he said.

The suspect was outside the restaurant when police arrived and surrendered without incident.

He's been charged with first-degree murder and is being held on $2 million bond at the Harrison County Adult Detention Center, police said.

The victim's name has not been released as authorities try to locate her next of kin. The Sun Herald newspaper reported that Mount was 45 and lived in Biloxi, Miss.

The Waffle House restaurant has a nonsmoking policy, said Kelly Thrasher-Bruner, a spokeswoman for Waffle House, Inc.

"This senseless tragedy is a shock for the Waffle House family. Our associate was a friend to many as well as a valued member of the Waffle House team for eight years as a salesperson. She will be greatly missed. Our prayers are with her family, friends, co-workers and customers," Thrasher-Bruner said.

The restaurant has since reopened, she said.
    Gun law in Mississippi
    As of Wednesday, gun owners in Mississippi no longer have to register for a permit in order to carry their weapon in a concealed location.
    If only all waffle workers carry a gun...