10+ Year Old Account

No Haste on Lei Shi

So, like all good DK's, I've been purposely putting Soul Reaper on adds in fights as they die so I can get the 50% haste (bringing my runes to 1s recharge time) and bring more damage to bear on the boss. This works fine for the Corrupted Water on the Protectors and the small adds on Tsulong, but for some reason I see NO haste buff when doing this on the Animated Protectors for Lei Shi.

Anyone else failing to get their haste buff from killing the protectors on Lei Shi while Soul Reaper is still active on them?

i don't believe the adds give exp so they don't give you the soul reaper buff. similar to sparks on elegon

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    i don't believe the adds give exp so they don't give you the soul reaper buff. similar to sparks on elegon
    This. We have our resident warlocks always complaining about the same thing (they don't give soul shards)

10+ Year Old Account
    Is that a tooltip error, then? It doesn't say on the tooltip it has to give XP, and like I said the adds on the first two bosses do work. I'd be surprised that they'd give "xp" vs the adds on Lei Shi

I think more appropriately, it isn't because those adds do/do not give XP, but rather that they do NOT die, but just become untargettable. You'll likely notice your DoTs ticking on them past the point of them "dying". The water adds simply fall back to the ground, being untargettable, only to be re-animated later in the next add phase.
    Games are not necessarily "easier" today. You are just a better player.
    It takes more now to impress many gamers than it did 2-5 years ago, because so much has already been seen and done.
    Many players expect to be wow'd with every release of a beloved franchise.
    These are generally NOT the fault of the developers, but the fault of many players over-hyping and/or setting expectations too high.

Deleted
    Dont think they die they just fall down like the trash pack before the boss.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroEdgeir View Post
    I think more appropriately, it isn't because those adds do/do not give XP, but rather that they do NOT die, but just become untargettable. You'll likely notice your DoTs ticking on them past the point of them "dying". The water adds simply fall back to the ground, being untargettable, only to be re-animated later in the next add phase.
    Ah ha! That would explain it. I guess I'll stop wasting the SR on them.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroEdgeir View Post
    still doesn't explain things like the sparks on elegon not giving the buff

They're the same; they don't actually die upon reaching 1 health, they become untargetable until they reach the pylon at which point they despawn.
    Vereesa formerly of Paragon and Depraved
    WCL

Actually it does, cause it works just the same. I realize you likely can't watch your battle text during the fight too much in Normal/Heroic, but even check in LFR. your DoTs will tick for full duration, even if the "spark" is already dead.

Being a novice programmer myself, I know why this method would be done: Lower resource load. Why re-create the same creatures over and over, when you can basically move it to a void location and bring it back, resetting it's health/status instead?
    Games are not necessarily "easier" today. You are just a better player.
    It takes more now to impress many gamers than it did 2-5 years ago, because so much has already been seen and done.
    Many players expect to be wow'd with every release of a beloved franchise.
    These are generally NOT the fault of the developers, but the fault of many players over-hyping and/or setting expectations too high.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    So, like all good DK's, I've been purposely putting Soul Reaper on adds in fights as they die so I can get the 50% haste (bringing my runes to 1s recharge time) and bring more damage to bear on the boss. This works fine for the Corrupted Water on the Protectors and the small adds on Tsulong, but for some reason I see NO haste buff when doing this on the Animated Protectors for Lei Shi.

Anyone else failing to get their haste buff from killing the protectors on Lei Shi while Soul Reaper is still active on them?
    While I'm not a DK, I have a similar problem in terms of Frost Bomb giving me a Brain Freeze charge if the Elemental dies with my Frost Bomb on it.

To explain for people who don't know Mages: Frost Bomb as Frost gives me a 100% chance to procc Brain Freeze. If a target dies with my Frost Bomb, it still explodes and I get the Brain Freeze procc. The Elemental will die with my Frost Bomb still on it, and I WILL NOT get the Brain Freeze procc. This also does NOT require a target to give me experience/honor when it dies with the bomb on it.

So, I can pretty much conclude that adds like this don't "die" but simply despawn. Whether this is a known issue or not, I cannot say, but it's definitely annoying to Frost Bomb a low HP elemental to just waste it completely.

Another similar instance I found is when I'll apply Frost Bomb to Shadowy Minions on Gara'jal the Spiritbinder, and I'll exit the spirit world (before detonation), and not only will my bomb not explode, but I won't get a Brain Freeze.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Same with legs on Garalon, they do not give the buff. :/

Hm, I'd expect it to work on the Gara'jal minions, since they do proc Dark Succor. I can solo the spirit realm because of that, on 10m.

It doesn't need to give xp, you can kill a squirrel with soul reaper and you'll get a buff.

It's because it doesn't actually die in a normal way, just like the star things and the big add on elegon.