Deleted

liquid damage on laptop adapter......

well tittle explains it in short, while traveling to school this morning one of canned soda drinks appeared to be leaking. (half the volume of my can was inside my bag at that time -_-)
    anyway waterproof bag so all other thing i was carrying are still fine except for what turned out to be my weakness, my precious ux32 power adapter......
    so i just got home and i am in the process of trying to dry it with the hairdryer and likely some rice for overnight and i am wondering if there are any other options?

also i'd rather try to save this one since a new adapter is around 70-80 euro! (which as a student i rather not spend obviously )

10+ Year Old Account
    Put it in a sealed bag of rice and leave it for a few days.
    Packers - Penguins - Gators

Quote Originally Posted by Graph View Post
    Put it in a sealed bag of rice and leave it for a few days.
    Only after you clean it with (90% or above) isopropyl alcohol. If it were a bottle of water, just putting it in rice would be fine, but it was pop, which leaves sugar and other residue behind when it dries.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Only after you clean it with (90% or above) isopropyl alcohol. If it were a bottle of water, just putting it in rice would be fine, but it was pop, which leaves sugar and other residue behind when it dries.
    it was energy drink so im guessing im screwed, perhaps i can score some medical alcohol with some contacts
    however i attemped to open the adapter and that thing is shut solid.

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    it was energy drink so im guessing im screwed, perhaps i can score some medical alcohol with some contacts
    Worst case scenario, adapters are pretty easy to replace.

Laptop components, not so much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, you could soak it in petrol or alcohol. Leave it for a bit, shake it and then hang it to dry, the petrol or alcohol will evaporate overtime. Maybe the residue will fall to the bottom of the casing.
    Only if you want to give it a final try, or are unable to open it ofc. And yes, test with a multimeter before plugging it in the laptop :P And i hope you haven't attempted a functional test before cleaning/drying it

Most chemists (Apotheker) should stock it. Soak the adapter in it, let it drain. if the alcohol can get in, it can get back out As it is a closed unit you should let it dry for at least a week.

Well, you could soak it in petrol or alcohol.
    Not petrol. It is highly toxic and will likely do more harm than good by attacking the plastic.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2012-12-17 at 06:35 PM.

Deleted
    perhaps some details i forgot to mention, it isn't a solid adapter it has a quite lose switchable powerplug for easy swapping traveling purposes.
    secondly i rather not get a powerbrick for 20 euro because i want to cheap out, since the one i have is one of those slimline versions. (not planning on getting a powerbrick with twice the dimensions and +- tripple the weight)
    http://techreport.com/r.x/asus-zenbo.../acadapter.jpg being the one in question.

main problem now is that i cannot use my laptop for the last two days before x-mass break and i need it pretty much for 9/10 classes i still have. (all assignments etc are digital QQ)

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure you have a computer at home or at school you can use for assignments. Yeah it'll suck but it beats no computer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    I'm sure you have a computer at home or at school you can use for assignments. Yeah it'll suck but it beats no computer.
    well murphy's law just hates me since i've also just ran out of paper so i cannot print my stuff either
    also said assignments are realtime in class and laptops are pretty much mandatory (or tablet but cba with that xD)
    either way also send a mail to asus wether or not they would be so kind to send a replacement and that it stopped working all of a sudden . (wishfull thinking but perhaps worth a shot)

10+ Year Old Account
    well murphy's law just hates me
    Technically he loves you, since you're proving his law

Deleted
    Technically he loves you, since you're proving his law
    don't wanna know what murphy got in store for me tommorow night at a x-mass party...... (rare event ill be wearing a suit there is bound to go something very wrong)
    OT, perhaps best odds are to order a new one as soon as i get a response from asus ?

10+ Year Old Account
    don't wanna know what murphy got in store for me tommorow night at a x-mass party......
    First thing that popped in my mind. Damn i've seen this movie too many times..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUfS_2UGftg

Deleted
    First thing that popped in my mind. Damn i've seen this movie too many times..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUfS_2UGftg
    NOO!!!!!, worst part will likely be seeing some classmates hammered shitless xD (/crosses fingers)

You can pick them up pretty cheap from eBay.