Are stress tests like memtests necessary, and if so, do they take long?

I've waited forever for my computer, and I'll have all the pieces by Wednesday (hopefully get it early, though!). I don't want to be screwed over, but I also have been really excited about being able to play the video games that I bought that can't play, thanks to my current Pentium 4 2.8 single core, w/ 1GB of RAM and a GeForce 8400 GS (I'm looking at you, Borderlands 2, Kingdoms of Amalur, and Arkham Asylum/City). The parts I purchased were
    CPU: Intel Core i3-3225 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor @ Tigerdirect
    Motherboard: Asus P8B75-V ATX LGA1155 Motherboard @ Newegg
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory @ Newegg
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive @ Amazon
    Video Card: Sapphire HD 7850 2GB OC Edition @ Newegg
    Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case @ Amazon
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply @ Newegg
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional Full (64-bit) @ Newegg

I don't want to get screwed, so I SHOULD do them, but.. eh. What tests should I be doing? Also, a couple of similar questions:

1) I went to the MoBo's product page and they say to avoid updating BIOS if a system is working. Is that just for normal people that don't know about computers? I'm no genius, but I think I know my fair share (I've flashed BIOS before with no problems).
    2) Do video cards need to have their bios updated? I've seen sites that talk about it. For example, this site lists the card I have (although it doesn't say OC so it might not be the same) http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/i...ace=&memSize=0

Quote Originally Posted by momirmaster View Post
    Although I believe that We never killed osama and OBAMA just used it as propaganda to win a election cause Osama's was probably dead for years I Usually am not gullible.

I personally think testing is pointless if your not overclocking your system or anything. If you are overclocking.... Prime95, and something to monitor temps. Besides that you shouldn't need memtest unless you have issues.

The BIOS update you can skip. Unless again you are overclocking or have issues then the latest version 'can' be better.
    Video cards need their drivers updated from time to time - they usually list what fixes or updates they have done on the driver.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MCMXCIX View Post
    1) I went to the MoBo's product page and they say to avoid updating BIOS if a system is working. Is that just for normal people that don't know about computers? I'm no genius, but I think I know my fair share (I've flashed BIOS before with no problems).
    2) Do video cards need to have their bios updated? I've seen sites that talk about it. For example, this site lists the card I have (although it doesn't say OC so it might not be the same) http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/i...ace=&memSize=0
    1) What they mean is don't do it if you don't have a way to recover such as dual bios chips or the ability to flash via usb without having a proc and ram installed. Or if those aren't features of your board then get a ups so that if power does fail your board wont have to be sent back to the manufacturer.
    2) As for video I wouldn't bother flashing that unless a support rep from whoever company you bought it says to or if it fixes some serious malfunction.

Quote Originally Posted by Sthos View Post
    I personally think testing is pointless if your not overclocking your system or anything. If you are overclocking.... Prime95, and something to monitor temps. Besides that you shouldn't need memtest unless you have issues.

The BIOS update you can skip. Unless again you are overclocking or have issues then the latest version 'can' be better.
    Video cards need their drivers updated from time to time - they usually list what fixes or updates they have done on the driver.
    My CPU can't be overclocked, and my RAM is 2133, so if anything I'm going to underclock it (depending on whether or not my motherboard handles it). I may look into overclocking my video card, but I'm not going to raise voltage and it's the OC edition, so I don't know if there's anything more I can do to it.

Although I believe that We never killed osama and OBAMA just used it as propaganda to win a election cause Osama's was probably dead for years I Usually am not gullible.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    This means you shouldn't do it. You are one of those "normal people" that you refer to. It's a very unnecessary risk on a brand new system.

Nothing ever needs its bios updated unless it isn't working. In which case it's best to get a professional to do it (which, if you're asking that question then, you're clearly not).

I just checked, and if my motherboard comes with its original bios instead of its updated one, it won't have support for Windows 8.
    Version Date Update BIOS Under Size Description
    1.10 9/21/2012 Instant Flash 4.71MB 1. Support Windows 8.
    2. Support writes OA 3.0 key.

Note: "Ultra Fast" is only supported by below conditions.
    1. OS Windows 8 is installed on GPT format.
    2. Graphics supports UEFI GOP.

So hopefully it comes updated, but if not I'll need to do it myself.

I don't want to get screwed, so I SHOULD do them, but.. eh. What tests should I be doing?
    If you're overclocking, definitely do them. Look up LinX (linpack) -- it's an extremely heavy stress test designed for Intel processors, and running it for even just a couple hours should give you a decent impression of if your overclock is stable. Prime95 overnight is the gold standard for CPUs, too, if you're specifically concerned about 'long term' stability of your CPU overclock. Linpack is heavier of a stress, but sometimes the longer Prime95 test catches things that linpack doesn't. Edit: Best bet is to keep a temperature monitor running while doing CPU stress tests too -- if it sits above about 70C while doing linpack, you should get better cooling, and if it's above 80C turn down your overclock until you can cool it better.

As far as memory testing goes, just do it. Memtest86+, run it from a boot CD/USB, and just let it go overnight (ideally 12+ hours). I've had way, way too many instances of bad RAM to ever let any RAM go untested anymore.

It's rare to have problems flashing BIOS (but always use a boot CD/USB whenever possible -- Windows-based flash tools are less reliable, and should be avoided wherever possible), but I'd check the release notes for any BIOS versions above yours. If there appear to be bug fixes or features related to your needs (for instance, I did a BIOS update to a beta version because it provided an updated firmware image for the SATA chip which fixed several issues I had), then do the update. If it doesn't look relevant to your needs, don't touch it unless you have problems.

2) Do video cards need to have their bios updated?
    No. Except in exceptionally, extremely, absurdly rare cases, the only time to flash a video card BIOS is if you need to modify it yourself for some reason. And you almost certainly won't have to. (I did, once, but it was done exceedingly carefully to fix a problem that could only be fixed by modifying the BIOS of my card -- and that wasn't an image downloaded from the internet, it was a dump of the card's BIOS which I adjusted myself.)
    Last edited by Yuyn; 2012-12-17 at 11:56 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Memtest is good just to be absolutely sure your memory is good. Best to let it go for a longo time. (8+ hours, if you can manage 12 hours, even better. You want to let it get one full pass on ALL of your RAM, though.)
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Memtest is good just to be absolutely sure your memory is good. Best to let it go for a longo time. (8+ hours, if you can manage 12 hours, even better. You want to let it get one full pass on ALL of your RAM, though.)
    Alright, that's what I'll do then. Thanks everyone, you've been helpful.

My CPU can't be overclocked, and my RAM is 2133, so if anything I'm going to underclock it (depending on whether or not my motherboard handles it). I may look into overclocking my video card, but I'm not going to raise voltage and it's the OC edition, so I don't know if there's anything more I can do to it.
    If you are going to overclock anything you are going to need a higher current power supply, you already are going to be pushing that little thing pretty hard with the hardware you got.

Quote Originally Posted by phred754 View Post
    If you are going to overclock anything you are going to need a higher current power supply, you already are going to be pushing that little thing pretty hard with the hardware you got.
    Yeah, I was told by a pretty knowledgeable guy here that 430W would be good for my build. I had my doubts, but I went with it. Here's to hoping it works out.

Yeah, I was told by a pretty knowledgeable guy here that 430W would be good for my build. I had my doubts, but I went with it. Here's to hoping it works out.
    Yeah it will work just fine, just doesnt really leave you much room to add anything extra in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by phred754 View Post
    Yeah it will work just fine, just doesnt really leave you much room to add anything extra in the future.
    I daresay he has over 200w to spare with his current setup. The 7000 series GPUs are very low power-hungry, his i3 is an Ivy Bridge and is I believe a 65w TDP CPU...

Yeah he's fine. >_>
    "A flower.

I daresay he has over 200w to spare with his current setup. The 7000 series GPUs are very low power-hungry, his i3 is an Ivy Bridge and is I believe a 65w TDP CPU...

Yeah he's fine. >_>
    I was planning on getting a 7870, but that would require 2 connectors from my PSU where it only came with one, so I would've had to pay extra for the GPU upgrade then extra for the PSU upgrade, so I just went with what I could afford. I'm hoping you're right. If not, I'll just return the PSU, then get a more expensive one. I can live with the onboard graphics while that goes on. Actually I couldn't. I want Borderlands 2 now, darnit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was planning on getting a 7870, but that would require 2 connectors from my PSU where it only came with one, so I would've had to pay extra for the GPU upgrade then extra for the PSU upgrade, so I just went with what I could afford. I'm hoping you're right. If not, I'll just return the PSU, then get a more expensive one. I can live with the onboard graphics while that goes on. Actually I couldn't. I want Borderlands 2 now, darnit.
    If anything, I would have gone for a higher quality PSU in the first place.

In your current situation, I would instead of buying a second GPU (7870) I'd just replace the 7850 when you can with a 7950/70 or 670.

To make it able to power the 2x6/8 pin GPUs, you could get one of these, or similar: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812198022

(Note: I am a tiny bit uncomfortable suggesting it, but only because I prefer direct power than through one of those silly cable converters.)

If you can return the PSU though, I'd go for a nice 550-660w PSU. SeaSonic or Corsair (AXi line would be best).
    "A flower.

If anything, I would have gone for a higher quality PSU in the first place.

In your current situation, I would instead of buying a second GPU (7870) I'd just replace the 7850 when you can with a 7950/70 or 670.

To make it able to power the 2x6/8 pin GPUs, you could get one of these, or similar: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812198022

(Note: I am a tiny bit uncomfortable suggesting it, but only because I prefer direct power than through one of those silly cable converters.)

If you can return the PSU though, I'd go for a nice 550-660w PSU. SeaSonic or Corsair (AXi line would be best).
    That's the exact reason why I didn't buy the 7870. And when I meant I was planning on getting a 7870, I meant instead of getting the 7850.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oooh okay. It's a shame they won't stick 2x6+2 or even just 2x6 pin PCI-E connectors on the CX-430... I suppose they are trying hard to get people to just buy the more expensive power supplies. =/
    "A flower.