Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Looking for CPU Air Cooler

Its the master 212 evo, and my high profile ram.

From looking at the space from the Cooler to the ram can someone recommend the best air cooler I could go to without it hitting my ram?

These are the two i am looking at either of them fit?

Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BL 140mm UFB (Updraft Floating Balance) CPU Cooler

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835709002

Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835608018
    i7 3770k @ 4.3 GHz | Cool Master Evo Push/Pull | Asrock z77 Extreme 4 | GTX 680 4GB SLI | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Blue 1TB | CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB| Seasonic X850W | Thermaltake Element V Black Edition| CrossOver 27Q 2560x1440 S-IPS 27" Monitor | Razer DeathStalker |Naga MMO Champion |Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Deleted
    I have that Phanteks heat sink and it's excellent but considering the price the Noctua might be the better purchase. I'm curious as you why you want to switch? Either way both are fine pick whichever you like really.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    I have that Phanteks heat sink and it's excellent but considering the price the Noctua might be the better purchase. I'm curious as you why you want to switch? Either way both are fine pick whichever you like really.
    But will they either one fit given the high profile ram you see pictured here?

And the switch is because the 212 just don't give me the temperatures I would like...
    i7 3770k @ 4.3 GHz | Cool Master Evo Push/Pull | Asrock z77 Extreme 4 | GTX 680 4GB SLI | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Blue 1TB | CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB| Seasonic X850W | Thermaltake Element V Black Edition| CrossOver 27Q 2560x1440 S-IPS 27" Monitor | Razer DeathStalker |Naga MMO Champion |Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Deleted
    Hmm the second fan might have an issue with your high profile RAM although on the Phantek I know you're able to move the fan upwards slightly, assuming your case leaves enough room for it. They're quite big.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiz View Post
    And the switch is because the 212 just don't give me the temperatures I would like...
    Is that because you have it mounted in either a single "pull" configuration, or a "push hot air all over ram" config?

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Hmm the second fan might have an issue with your high profile RAM although on the Phantek I know you're able to move the fan upwards slightly, assuming your case leaves enough room for it. They're quite big.
    But the D14 would fit no issues?

---------- Post added 2012-12-18 at 11:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by eja216 View Post
    Is that because you have it mounted in either a single "pull" configuration, or a "push hot air all over ram" config?
    I didn't put it together but no the air is not pushed out over the ram, but out the back of the case or atleast it feels like that!

Why is there something I can change here to get alot lower temps?
    Last edited by Seiz; 2012-12-19 at 05:03 AM.

Deleted
    I don't know about the Noctua one sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiz View Post
    Why is there something I can change here to get alot lower temps?
    Mount the fan to the other side so it's pushing air through the front of the heatsink and not sucking it out from the back.

May also want to clean off thermal paste and reapply and re-seat the heatsink.

The CM 212 is an excellent heatsink in its own right: http://www.frostytech.com/articlevie...id=2655&page=5
    Last edited by eja216; 2012-12-19 at 05:15 AM.

15+ Year Old Account

NH-D14 with G.SKILL Ripjaws X ram. You can see there's not much space. I wouldn't run any higher profile RAM or the fan will be too far up the heat sink and won't fit in the case
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Will that change my temps by a good margin I will do it now?

---------- Post added 2012-12-19 at 12:09 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post

NH-D14 with G.SKILL Ripjaws X ram. You can see there's not much space. I wouldn't run any higher profile RAM or the fan will be too far up the heat sink and won't fit in the case
    Awesome thank you very much so judging by that the D14 would fit but be very close.

But first im going to try the push pull config EJA told me to do!

But I use all 4 ram slots that still be fine?
    Last edited by Seiz; 2012-12-19 at 05:11 AM.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    the 212 will fit with fans on both sides, its a crapshoot without really seeing your case in person to know if the noctua will fit as its pretty huge.
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

What kind of temps are you seeing with your 212, My wife has one in her build on a 3570k and is getting under 30c at idle and maybe 35ish under load of playing WoW and D3 the only 2 games she really plays.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

any reason why the high profile ram in the first place? if you knew you were going to get a bigger cpu cooler why did you go with memory with those god awful fashion accessories "heat spreaders"

Quote Originally Posted by slimj091 View Post
    any reason why the high profile ram in the first place? if you knew you were going to get a bigger cpu cooler why did you go with memory with those god awful fashion accessories "heat spreaders"
    It looks better, overclocks slightly better, better protection. Alot of reasons for RAM heatsinks.
    Last edited by Nab; 2012-12-21 at 10:15 AM.
    Playing since 2007.

Silly question, I'm sure... but the fan is mounted correctly, right?

As in, you'll see two arrows on the fan. Up/Down and Left/Right. Ideally, you place it on the right of the CPU and it'll point down and left blowing cool air through the fins and out towards the back fan. Second option, which I hope you have, is that it points left and down while being on the other side. I imagine that's the majority of the reason you're 212 isn't performing well. I have one and I OC up to 4.4 on my 3570k and it runs well within margins even while running Prime95. And third option is that it's on the left of the CPU like it is now and arrows are right and up, in which case, you need to fix that.

I'm not sure why you're having problems fitting the fan on the other side of the CPU without hitting your RAM. There isn't much clearance but I didn't have to really struggle to get it to fit.
    Last edited by theoffice; 2012-12-21 at 03:26 PM.

Noctua D14 won't fit with Corsair Vengeance mate.
    D14 gives you 44mm clearance over the first 2 dimm slots (unless your slots are farther away from the cpu scoket) - vengeance modules are 52mm off the board :'(

Quote Originally Posted by Nab View Post
    It looks better, overclocks slightly better, better protection. Alot of reasons for RAM heatsinks.
    Looks are very opinion based, Lol at overclocks being slightly better most people run there memory at 1600mhz, even at higher clocks the heat spreaders will do jack but change the way the sticks look, what is flying around in your case that requires protection that those fins would do anything to stop lawlz.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

Quote Originally Posted by demonskies View Post
    Looks are very opinion based, Lol at overclocks being slightly better most people run there memory at 1600mhz, even at higher clocks the heat spreaders will do jack but change the way the sticks look, what is flying around in your case that requires protection that those fins would do anything to stop lawlz.
    There's your answer. I'm not saying everyone should buy high profile heatsinks, but it's definitely NOT useless.
    Playing since 2007.

15+ Year Old Account
    They really are useless...if your RAM needs extra cooling most people tend to have a fan aimed at them or some sort of dedicated cooling situation
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Well guys I am a newb when it comes to this stuff and basically fried my computer.

Somehow when I was trying to turn the fan around after I took out the 4 screws the screw driver slipped and hit my motherboard and on top of that I put to much thermal paste on and somehow it got down under the CPU Chip and ontop of about 5 pins on the motherboard. And no, i did not take out the CPU chip i just applied paste ontop of it and on the bottom of the heat sink. Probably where I was trying to get the fan mounted and it was sliding everywhere I'm not sure but the guy at the PC shop said he couldn't get the stuff off the motherboard without hurting the pins, and that the screw driver hitting the mobo could effected it aswell so I had to order me another Motherboard the same type and a new CPU the 3570k.....Also going with a different CPU cooler, when with the Cool master V6, this time I am letting the PC shop assemble it, had someone else do it and they don't know much about air flow and stuff so i think it was wrong from the start anyways...i'll keep you guys posted...definitley sucks!