Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Yeah, because God forbid people get retrained to be competitive.
    I had to apply to somewhere in the region of 200 jobs before I actually even found part time work. It's not as simple as you make out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    I had to apply to somewhere in the region of 200 jobs before I actually even found part time work. It's not as simple as you make out.
    Yeah, and this has to do with retraining how?

Deleted
    Yeah, and this has to do with retraining how?
    What do you mean by retraining, more qualifications? who's going to pay for that?

What do you mean by retraining, more qualifications? who's going to pay for that?
    I'm not familiar with the UK, but in the USA we have federal grants and low interest federal loans.

Personally, I'd much rather have taxes going towards retraining than booze. Teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Deleted
    It wouldnt make to much diffrence if they did most people why find some 1 who not on the dole to by them food in exchange for alcohol

A great option for young people although I believe someone of any age can participate is an apprenticeship, but yeah who wants to earn the same amount as they do on the dole but actually have to work, a crazy notion.

Deleted
    I'm not familiar with the UK, but in the USA we have federal grants and low interest federal loans.

Personally, I'd much rather have taxes going towards retraining than booze. Teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.
    University costs here have almost tripled recently, I don't fancy the idea of being in dept. Besides, -Almost- all of my friends have now graduated from university in various different fields, and none of them are having an easier time finding work. Perhaps its just my area, but it's definately not good.

University costs here have almost tripled recently, I don't fancy the idea of being in dept. Besides, -Almost- all of my friends have now graduated from university in various different fields, and none of them are having an easier time finding work. Perhaps its just my area, but it's definately not good.
    Maybe your friends should have chosen a competitive major. Supply and demand, kinda the basis of our entire economy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fateq View Post
    A great option for young people although I believe someone of any age can participate is an apprenticeship, but yeah who wants to earn the same amount as they do on the dole but actually have to work, a crazy notion.
    I looked into alot of apprenticeships, and for some stupid reason, most of them are 16 - 18 yrs only. There are a few that are over that, but they are few and far between.

should only be for necessities, not alcohol and smokes

I looked into alot of apprenticeships, and for some stupid reason, most of them are 16 - 18 yrs only. There are a few that are over that, but they are few and far between.
    I did mine with my local authority, they do it for people of any age I believe, but mostly it is aimed at younger people, but I feel this is something a lot of unemployed teenagers don't look into as it is easier to collect the same money for doing nothing.

Deleted
    Maybe your friends should have chosen a competitive major. Supply and demand, kinda the basis of our entire economy.
    I don't claim to know what is competetive at the moment, but it seems to me like uni/college doesn't make as big of an impact on your chances as people would have you think. Bare in mind I am speaking entirely from personal experience here. At the moment I'm working around 15 hours a week part time at a hotel, best I could get, I haven't gone to uni but I'm not underqualified either for most of the stuff I'm applying for, alot of the time I get a reply from the employer saying they couldn't give me an interview for sheer ammount of applicants.

Once again the UK is right on the ball with how to fix things.. I can't believe what I am reading on this thread from people boohooing over taking drinking away from those that are being fed and paid for by the government. I'm Jealous that in the US they are not even considering anything like this... shit, they don't even want to test the welfare recipients here for illegal drugs. It has really become a handout, rather than a helping hand.

---------- Post added 2012-12-19 at 12:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dannypoos View Post
    It wouldnt make to much diffrence if they did most people why find some 1 who not on the dole to by them food in exchange for alcohol
    Well at least they have to work to do that...

I don't claim to know what is competetive at the moment, but it seems to me like uni/college doesn't make as big of an impact on your chances as people would have you think. Bare in mind I am speaking entirely from personal experience here. At the moment I'm working around 15 hours a week part time at a hotel, best I could get, I haven't gone to uni but I'm not underqualified either for most of the stuff I'm applying for, alot of the time I get a reply from the employer saying they couldn't give me an interview for sheer ammount of applicants.
    Uh, the unemployment rate in the USA for those with a bachelors is 5%. By many economists that's considered pretty much "fully employed".

Here's some facts for you.

Uh, the unemployment rate in the USA for those with a bachelors is 5%. By many economists that's considered pretty much "fully employed".
    my brother has a bachelor's degree. it's useless though. he sells cars for honda. 4 of the other salesmen there are all graduates too. they all have jobs that people without degrees would have had 5 years ago. it trickles down

it's always been about who you know, not what you know
    it will always be about who you know, not what you know

you'd hire a friend over someone 5% more qualified every time. it's human nature. we just got a contract because the owner liked us. he's overlooking my boss and his inability to properly keep up with paperwork.

fuck, i wouldn't hire us

Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    my brother has a bachelor's degree. it's useless though. he sells cars for honda. 5 of the other salesmen there are all graduates too.
    Yeah, let's see...cherry-picking versus my source I just linked...

Deleted
    OK thats fair enough, but are we saying here that you pretty much have to go to uni if you want to get a job at all?

I was never really interested in university myself, I went to college and got a couple of IT qualifications and then went out looking for work, I needed money to help the family out and couldn't justify going to do further education because I needed money as soon as I could get it, it's not an option for everybody. At the moment I'm just trying to find anything I can get alongside my already poor employment, been applying to stuff for months and haven't had any luck. I know It's not because I need retraining, I'm applying to simple stuff here, food outlets, hotels, kitchens, offices, retailers, basicly anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    People will find ways to abuse it. Wish we could do it.

I do not think anyone on government assistance should be allowed to spend a cent on anything besides necessities. I mean bare necessities.
    I like sandwiches

OK thats fair enough, but are we saying here that you pretty much have to go to uni if you want to get a job at all?
    Part of living in a high tech society is getting an education.

If people don't want this responsibility, they shouldn't expect to be pampered.

10+ Year Old Account

Here's some facts for you.
    Ya, but the recent graduate rate is about 50% and that is what matters. Historically it has really paid off to get a degree. That is quickly changing.

Trade schools and technical colleges are by far better options for most. Why I hate seeing tax dollars go to fund college education.
    I like sandwiches