Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Minimal-casual-better-hardcore-ultra hardcore

With the thread title I mean: which type of user are you?

Minimal: Old computer, possibly made from stone and wood and bamboo. No, in all seriousness, just having a notebook, or a old computer..

Casual: Decent desktop, very very light gaming, mostly browsing and movies? Maybe a more powerful laptop?

Better: Gaming category, able to play games, I am thinking a system with a GTX460 or a 550TI or something

Hardcore: Sandy or Ivy Bridge i5 CPU at LEAST and a better GPU than Better category, like a HD7870 or GTX 590

Ultra Hardcore: SPACESHIPS, best of the best cpu's overkill amount of RAM, 4 way 690 SLI perhaps, Water cooling etc.

Now what do you think your desktop is in?

And this also applies to knowledge about computers?

I think I am in the hardcore range, but barely. And in terms of knowledge....I think I am in the Better range?

10+ Year Old Account
    Between Hardcore and Ultra-Hardcore.

i7-3770k
    16GB RAM
    GTX 680
    Corsair HX 1050 PSU

I like your second question, just because some people have stupidly great computers doesnt mean they have a clue how to use them or how they work. In which case I think I know more than the "Better" range so I'll go with Hardcore, or somewhere inbetween

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizzow View Post
    Between Hardcore and Ultra-Hardcore.

i7-3770k
    16GB RAM
    GTX 680
    Corsair HX 1050 PSU
    Yeah, about right I guess. :P

Definitely hardcore for me.

2500k water cooled @5.0GHz
    EVGA GTX 680
    16GB G.Skill
    Monitor setup looks like this:
    http://imgur.com/Bd8Af
    The picture is a few months old, but the desk is still in the same basic arrangement.

My knowledge I would say is hardcore/ultra, because I am very confident with building, overclocking, and water loops. I am leaning more towards ultra hardcore, because my hobby is also my job. I would not call programming or developing hardcore or ultra, because I support devs. To be honest, you do not have to know much of anything about building a rig to be a good dev.(not meant as a slight to devs; I know some of you rock like me)
    Last edited by Demoness; 2012-12-19 at 03:54 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Demoness View Post
    Definitely hardcore for me.

2500k water cooled @5.0GHz
    EVGA GTX 680
    16GB G.Skill
    Monitor setup looks like this:
    http://imgur.com/Bd8Af
    The picture is a few months old, but the desk is still in the same basic arrangement.
    Dayum!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Dayum!!!!!
    She is covered up with netflix and D3 in the picture, but I definitely have a near life-size Anna Kournikova laying across my desktop.

My computer is around the Better category, though I'm planning to upgrade it some time after christmas. Been two years since I built it, so I think it's time to get something better.

Computer itself is somewhere between better/hardcore for financial reasons, and I would rate my understanding of computers on roughly the same level as I have never delved into any program languages other than some basic html bur more than competent enough to resolve software/hardware issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Hardcore: Sandy or Ivy Bridge i5 CPU at LEAST and a better GPU than Better category, like a HD7870 or GTX 590
    Why do you limit this to a certain line of processors. Did you mean Sandy/Ivy I5 or equivalent speed?

Also 7870 is not the same as a gtx590, and the contrast between hardcore and ultra-hardcore is much more steep as between better-hardcore. So i correct you on your semi-to-non-important categories.

Personally consider it to still be hardcore, eventhough it's 2 years old.
    Core i5-760 @ 4.0ghz
    Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1600
    MSI P55-GD80 Board
    ASUS GTX670 DCII

Knowledge. Well i'd say hardware Hardcore/Ultra-Hardcore. I can do advanced overclocking, and troubleshooting on my hardware. Even down to the level of finding my RAM voltage being .2V off causing crashes.

Software is better-ish. Personally though, you'd have to know excactly how much there is to know about computers to give a statement on that. You can think you know allot, based on the amount you know
    Last edited by Majesticii; 2012-12-19 at 04:51 PM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Between hardcore and ultra hardcore.

I7 3770k @4.6GHz
    Gtx 680 lightning sli
    Asus xonar phoebus sound card
    16gb dominator platinum
    Custom 3 rad wc loop
    Asus pb278q pls monitor
    64gb m4 ssd
    128gb m4 ssd
    240gb force 3 gs ssd

Knowledge wise between better and hardcore.
    Last edited by EllishaPally; 2012-12-19 at 05:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EllishaPally View Post
    Between hardcore and ultra hardcore.

I7 3770k @4.6GHz
    Gtx 680 lightning sli
    Asus xonar phoebus sound card
    16gb dominator platinum
    Custom 3 rad wc loop
    Asus pb278q pls monitor

Knowledge wise between better and hardcore.
    I like the colorscheme/contrast.

Deleted
    hardcore, 2500k @ 4.5 ghz and 560 ti. ;(

My own computer is Hardcore. In terms of knowledge, probably Ultra-hardcore. You can't 4 way SLI GTX 690's btw.
    Playing since 2007.

I would definitely say hardcore for me =P Plus I got a 7970 on the way here so I'm happy as hell right now! Knowledge wise I'd say ultra-hardcore as well I've taken a class in computer architecture and learned so much more about computers then I knew before it and learned how to be more efficient in C/C++ by optimizing code in assembly and using the cache etc.

Just upgraded
    FX-6300 @ 4.7Ghz
    Seasonic X760
    CF'd 5850s
    Cosmos 1000
    AssRock 970 Extreme4

but

4 gigs of ram... defo upgrading that soon to 8.

Guessing that falls into hardcore
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

Not sure, I have:
    i7 930 OC@ 3.7GHz
    2GB GeForce GTX650
    8 gigs of RAM
    MSI X58 PRO-E

Deleted
    I have a 9800GT. So just below 'better'. I think you need a middle option :P

My knowledge of gaming however reaches up and beyond hardcore, if I'm allowed to boast. :3

Quote Originally Posted by Nab View Post
    My own computer is Hardcore. In terms of knowledge, probably Ultra-hardcore. You can't 4 way SLI GTX 690's btw.
    Two GTX 690s is considered quad SLI.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by majesticii View Post
    why do you limit this to a certain line of processors. Did you mean sandy/ivy i5 or equivalent speed?

Also 7870 is not the same as a gtx590, and the contrast between hardcore and ultra-hardcore is much more steep as between better-hardcore. So i correct you on your semi-to-non-important categories.

Personally consider it to still be hardcore, eventhough it's 2 years old.
    Core i5-760 @ 4.0ghz
    corsair vengeance 8gb ddr3-1600
    msi p55-gd80 board
    asus gtx670 dcii

knowledge. Well i'd say hardware hardcore/ultra-hardcore. I can do advanced overclocking, and troubleshooting on my hardware. Even down to the level of finding my ram voltage being .2v off causing crashes.

Software is better-ish. Personally though, you'd have to know excactly how much there is to know about computers to give a statement on that. You can think you know allot, based on the amount you know :d
    why do you nitpick!!? > : (

---------- Post added 2012-12-19 at 06:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ranorack View Post
    I have a 9800GT. So just below 'better'. I think you need a middle option :P

My knowledge of gaming however reaches up and beyond hardcore, if I'm allowed to boast. :3
    Yeah, that's casual.

What's the purpose of this thread? I must say I'm quite confused.
    We already have a Post your gaming setup-thread, and we don't need another.
    I'm confused on why "how new" is what defines how someone is "hardcore" with their computer, rather than say, how far you push it or even what pricepoint the hardware came in at the time of the hardwares prime.

I have a hard time with the idea of calling a mid range platform (which is super easy to overclock) like the Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge "hardcore". It's the newest, sure.

As for the question I can answer, I would consider myself "casual" or "minimal" in the amount of knowledge I have about computers in general.