Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

I'm trying out RIFT for free to level 20, I have some questions

I've tried the free 1 week trials of Rift in the past, but am trying again now that it's up to level 20 with no time limit

When I tried before some things were different, there was no expansion yet and in the past it didn't try to make me cookie cutter a pre-selected spec, and there was no player housing

So here are the questions
    1. Is it still acceptable to wing it with your spec? Or does "Breaking your role" make your character a non-competitive noob?
    2. Are there flying mounts yet?
    3. Is there any practical use for player housing? Or is it just for fun?
    4. Is the player housing very customizable, or does everyone get the same house and all you can do is redecorate?
    5. PVP wise which classes/specs are the more commonly dominant?
    6. Do they have arena or any other sort of PVP besides "battlegrounds" (or again, whatever they may be called in Rift, I'm coming from WoW)
    7. They have a LFG system I noticed, but does it cover raids? (or whatever they are called in Rift?)
    8. Exactly how hard are raids in Rift? Is it all multi hour wipefests as seen in other games?
    9. How are the point related systems regarding raiding and rewards? Can you actually buy desirable loot with it? (Cough) unlike in WoW(cough)
    10. In WoW & SWTOR at a certain point there becomes nothing to do but log on for about an hour on Tuesdays, cap things, then get off for the rest of the week, does Rift get like this or is there more to do?
    11. Is there any way to authenticate at all without a fancy phone?
    Last edited by WaitingforMoP; 2012-12-07 at 01:20 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingforMoP View Post
    I've tried the free 1 week trials of Rift in the past, but am trying again now that it's up to level 20 with no time limit

When I tried before some things were different, there was no expansion yet and in the past it didn't try to make me cookie cutter a pre-selected spec, and there was no player housing

1. Is it still acceptable to wing it with your spec? Or does "Breaking your role" make your character a non-competitive noob?
    4. Is the player housing very customizable, or does everyone get the same house and all you can do is redecorate?
    6. Do they have arena or any other sort of PVP besides "battlegrounds" (or again, whatever they may be called in Rift, I'm coming from WoW)
    7. They have a LFG system I noticed, but does it cover raids? (or whatever they are called in Rift?)
    8. Exactly how hard are raids in Rift? Is it all multi hour wipefests as seen in other games?
    9. How are the point related systems regarding raiding and rewards? Can you actually buy desirable loot with it? (Cough) unlike in WoW(cough)
    10. In WoW & SWTOR at a certain point there becomes nothing to do but log on for about an hour on Tuesdays, cap things, then get off for the rest of the week, does Rift get like this or is there more to do?
    1: they give you the option to select a pre-selected spec for you( these are based on commonly used specs)
    2: No and most people in Rift hope there never will be.
    3: as far as i know right now they are just for fun but im sure they will add more to it later.
    4: Everything in it is customized by the person who owns the demension, you can even customize the sky in it.
    5: personally pvp is weird in rift and not the main focus of the game
    6: Conquest is open world pvp 3 factions(these are not Guardian or Defiant) they are different factions lore wise.
    7: not currently, but raids in rift just cant be pugged until most people outgear them. unless of course the pugs know what they are doing.
    8: people rate them to be like Burning Crusade raiding. they dont have different difficulties its 1 difficult and its no push over.
    9: you can get item tokens from boss drops that give you items that come from vendors
    10: If you find your self with nothing to do in Rift, you are doing it wrong. seriously there are more to do then any other game out there and thats no joke.
    11: not too sure as i have a iphone so i have the app for it.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, I was about to create a thread like this...but since this is here.

FYI - This is not intended as an insult or slight, so don't flame me because that's not my intent. So knowing that, here's the question:

I have downloaded Rift Lite in the past, but I don't remember it looking so terrible. I bumped graphics up as high as they would go, but the game just looked awful. Far worse than I remember when I played it a year ago. I was looking at trying it out because I've heard great things about SL, but it was a little jarring.

From my understanding even the Lite client still has all the graphical properties installed...so what am I missing? Does the game really look like this? I could have sworn it was at least a little better quality than LotRO. (not insulting either game here, bc I love LotRO too)

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Does the game really look like this?
    Well... do you have a screenshot, 'cause I / we really can't know how RIFT looks on your computer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wryn View Post
    Well... do you have a screenshot, 'cause I / we really can't know how RIFT looks on your computer.
    No, the point is that I have the settings maxed...it would basically 'look' the same anywhere. I guess a more answerable question is if I drag the slider up to Ultra, does that max everything like most games? Or are there specific options that go higher past ultra? I just couldn't really tell a difference between any of the settings and that had me perturbed.

I personally don't find rift very pretty.
    Its colors tend to be mat and a touch on the darker side. I found upping the gamma a little helps a lot.
    But there's only so much you can do.
    The talent system, wardrobe system, dimensional housing, and all that stuff that is mind blowing is rifts real draw.

I will say that storm legion is quite a bit better art wise. They've got higher color contrast in a number of zones that makes it more engaging.

At least its not hellfire peninsula or nether storm. Red/Purple rocks + Red/Purple dirt and plants and everything lol.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

No, the point is that I have the settings maxed...it would basically 'look' the same anywhere. I guess a more answerable question is if I drag the slider up to Ultra, does that max everything like most games? Or are there specific options that go higher past ultra? I just couldn't really tell a difference between any of the settings and that had me perturbed.
    I'm not sure how this would happen but if your rift.cfg file, or the folder it is contained in obviously, somehow got set to read only, then making changes to the settings will not take effect.

---------- Post added 2012-12-07 at 08:40 AM ----------

1. Yeah, as long as you are not in a bleeding edge progression guild you should be able to wing it for the most part, as long as your numbers aren't too bad.

2. No, and there will not be as far as I know, thankfully.

3. Just fun, though there is guild housing too and you can place guild quest givers there.

4. It is insanely customizable. There are several different dimensions to buy, each a small portion of a zone, and you can do whatever you want in it.

5. Whatever the FOTM is? Seems pretty balanced to me though. Sometimes you'll see a lot of rogues, sometime warriors, it varies.

6. No, no arena, thankfully. There is conquest though. 3 faction, 200v200v200 battles. It is currently turned off "until more people are at 60" though.

7. No, you cannot LFR. This stems from the fact that there is one difficulty on raids, hard, and that's it. There is no easy mode.

8. It is challenging. How hard it is to you depends on how good a player you are. It is not simply stand there and nuke. There are mechanics that must be navigated properly, your reaction speed must be quick and some fights are long. How long you wipe for really depends on how good you are and/or how good a group you go with,

9. Yes, you get the best gear with best set bonus from raiding currencies.

10. There is tons to do, and if they continue like they have been they add more stuff approximately every 6 weeks. It is very difficult to not find something to do in Rift.

11. No, but authentication is not as important in Rift. They have the Coin Lock feature which by itself is a great way to prevent you being hacked. Combine that with the fact that Rift is not as much of a target due to being a smaller game and it's not a big deal to not have one.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know the sliders have big impact for example one called ground clutter or density forget exactly since I'm not in game changes the look of the ground dramatically. Set at the lowest setting it looks like you're on a golf course set it to max and the ground comes alive.

Set this video to 1080p if your graphics don't match them there is something not right since these are in game graphics.

Post a screen shot so we can see what you see. What video card do you use? My guess is AMD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    Post a screen shot so we can see what you see. What video card do you use? My guess is AMD.
    Yeah, I'll have to really take a look at it when I get home and don't have sleepy eyes like I did last night when I got on. If after comparing to the video, making sure the settings are adjusting right, and I'm still having problems I'll post a screenshot.

I've just never given the game a fair enough chance and a robot friend wants me to help get him free sub time because he's a bastard so I figured I would at least try out the lite version on a new account and see if I can hang enough to warrant really playing. Everything about SL, especially Dimensions seems too cool not to miss out on.

Deleted
    Ok, I was about to create a thread like this...but since this is here.

FYI - This is not intended as an insult or slight, so don't flame me because that's not my intent. So knowing that, here's the question:

I have downloaded Rift Lite in the past, but I don't remember it looking so terrible. I bumped graphics up as high as they would go, but the game just looked awful. Far worse than I remember when I played it a year ago. I was looking at trying it out because I've heard great things about SL, but it was a little jarring.

From my understanding even the Lite client still has all the graphical properties installed...so what am I missing? Does the game really look like this? I could have sworn it was at least a little better quality than LotRO. (not insulting either game here, bc I love LotRO too)
    I don't think RIFT looks good on ultra, so i have customized graphic settings with super-sampling etc.. makes it look a lot better

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nykolas View Post
    I don't think RIFT looks good on ultra, so i have customized graphic settings with super-sampling etc.. makes it look a lot better
    Interesting. Something else I will definitely look into when I'm home. Thank you!

Yeah, I'll have to really take a look at it when I get home and don't have sleepy eyes like I did last night when I got on. If after comparing to the video, making sure the settings are adjusting right, and I'm still having problems I'll post a screenshot.

I've just never given the game a fair enough chance and a robot friend wants me to help get him free sub time because he's a bastard so I figured I would at least try out the lite version on a new account and see if I can hang enough to warrant really playing. Everything about SL, especially Dimensions seems too cool not to miss out on.
    :P Bwahahahaha!
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    :P Bwahahahaha!
    I call them how I see them

Deleted
    Interesting. Something else I will definitely look into when I'm home. Thank you!
    No problem, i personally like view distance on full and ground clutter on high, when you put it into ultra it doesn't do it for some reason

My toon still looks like shit on the character tab for some reason tho?

Yeah, like Nykolas is saying, "Ultra" doesn't actually max out every setting. If every slider and setting is set to max, it's considered "custom".

[*]Are there flying mounts yet?
    Please Please PLEASE Trion......DO NOT ADD FLYING MOUNTS

• No LFR
    • No Easy mode raids
    • No Flying Mounts

^ Just a few, of the MANY, of the reasons RIFT rocks!
    Last edited by akaTheDude; 2012-12-07 at 04:34 PM.
    I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiya View Post
    Please Please PLEASE Trion......DO NOT ADD FLYING MOUNTS
    I think the community has gotten the point across reasonably well that they don't want flying mounts time and time again, for example check out the responses to this thread. http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ng-mounts.html

---------- Post added 2012-12-07 at 04:40 PM ----------

COINLOCK! look it up, you don't really need an authenticator, unless your password for your email is the same for your rift account.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since Syce pretty much covered everything, I'll answer this:

Is there any way to authenticate at all without a fancy phone?

Yes, just download bluestacks for windows (Android emulator)

Install it. Download the Rift Mobile App /or the authenticator. Run the authenticator on your PC.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    Since Syce pretty much covered everything, I'll answer this:

Is there any way to authenticate at all without a fancy phone?

Yes, just download bluestacks for windows (Android emulator)

Install it. Download the Rift Mobile App /or the authenticator. Run the authenticator on your PC.
    BOOM! theWocky strikes again with some use-full advice I might try this one out too :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nykolas View Post
    BOOM! theWocky strikes again with some use-full advice I might try this one out too :P
    The caveat being that if you get hacked and you are using an android emulated authenticator on your computer, they have that too. So it's kinda worthless really. Additionally you won't find much support in the event that it happens as you are technically 'hacking' a product owned by someone else.

It's like using a pirated game and calling the company complaining about issues you're having.