Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychlon View Post
    Everything is getting old pretty fast as soon as you know how it works. That's how it goes for anything anywere.
    That's why you should mix it up. Not put VO of questionable quality on every generic quest without a comfortable mean to skip it.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

You aren't forced to do anything but you can't expect to have the same survivability with a dd as with a healer companion. Just let your dd companion pull and you do the rest... problem solved.

Most of you didn't level (m)any alts but are judging about it like you did several. I didn't level a single class the same way I leveld the one before. I'm skipping planets, nit pick what quests I want/ don't want but of course I have to compensate for this in a way which I like more... which I do.

First Class leveled was a Consular Sage, was absolutely zero reason to use anything but the tanking Companion. The DPS companions had zero use, and obviously didn't need more healing.

Second Class was a Trooper, whatever the tank spec was. Once I got my healer there was zero reason to use anything but the healer as it created a lot more downtime for no advantage to use the DPS companions.

Third was a Jedi Sentinel, once I got the healer, once again I had zero reason to use anything else unless the class quest called for it. Sure I used the DPS one up until that point, but I didn't have much choice so yeah.

I leveled several othe classes on both sides at least into the 30's, and all were exactly the same, no real reason to use anything but the healer or tank because it did nothing but slow you down. I'm sorry, but when only one or two companions are even remotely useful for pretty much every class out there while leveling, you might as well call it forced.

I'm sure you can skip a few things here and there, but I sure as heck can't skip all of Taris because I can't stand it, or skip all of Hoth because its boring as sin. Sure you can use other means to shave off some quests here or there ( but tbh I disliked the other ways just as much ) but you gotta do certain parts of the class quests, which means you are going to those crappy planets at some point.

The leveling experience on alts would of been so much better if they would of had multiple planet options in the same level grade, at least it wouldn't of been nearly as linear.

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    First Class leveled was a Consular Sage, was absolutely zero reason to use anything but the tanking Companion. The DPS companions had zero use, and obviously didn't need more healing.

Second Class was a Trooper, whatever the tank spec was. Once I got my healer there was zero reason to use anything but the healer as it created a lot more downtime for no advantage to use the DPS companions.

Third was a Jedi Sentinel, once I got the healer, once again I had zero reason to use anything else unless the class quest called for it. Sure I used the DPS one up until that point, but I didn't have much choice so yeah.

I leveled several othe classes on both sides at least into the 30's, and all were exactly the same, no real reason to use anything but the healer or tank because it did nothing but slow you down. I'm sorry, but when only one or two companions are even remotely useful for pretty much every class out there while leveling, you might as well call it forced.

I'm sure you can skip a few things here and there, but I sure as heck can't skip all of Taris because I can't stand it, or skip all of Hoth because its boring as sin. Sure you can use other means to shave off some quests here or there ( but tbh I disliked the other ways just as much ) but you gotta do certain parts of the class quests, which means you are going to those crappy planets at some point.

The leveling experience on alts would of been so much better if they would of had multiple planet options in the same level grade, at least it wouldn't of been nearly as linear.
    I played 7 high lvl, 6 of them 50 and am rolling several low lvl alts... none of them is using a healer because letting them attack/ use the speeder/ rocket boots and you have 0 downtime on anything. The only time I use a healer is when mobs are casting dots/ ground ae's (at lvl 50) and I'm too lazy to pull my companion around the map.

SWTOR in general must be the same for you like WoW graphics are for me... however I wonder why you even bother to write about it if it's displeasing you this much.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played 7 high lvl, 6 of them 50 and am rolling several low lvl alts... none of them is using a healer because letting them attack/ use the speeder/ rocket boots and you have 0 downtime on anything. The only time I use a healer is when mobs are casting dots/ ground ae's (at lvl 50) and I'm too lazy to pull my companion around the map.

SWTOR in general must be the same for you like WoW graphics are for me... however I wonder why you even bother to write about it if it's displeasing you this much.
    I usually just went with the companion I liked the most on my operative. Usually Kahlyo (or however you write her name).

I would have preferred to be able to have multiple companions active (3 or something) like in GW1. It gives new players some training for later group fights.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    I would have preferred to be able to have multiple companions active (3 or something) like in GW1. It gives new players some training for later group fights.
    The ordinary questing stuff would gets so boring... not sure if it would still be enjoyable to run around with a one-man army. When I leveled my second bountyhunter with a friends operative... he wouldn't even bother to do anything as our companions and my mercenary killed everything so quickly it felt almost supernatural. Same goes for all endbosses and such... they can be tricky solo but are obsolete easy if you do it with a friend/ more than one companion.

Just one of the things that kept me from sticking with the game. I wrote about it because it was one of the subjects brought up in the thread *shrug*

If a subject popped up that I liked I would post on the positiive side as well. For instance you brought up graphics, and I thought SWTOR's was fine, but other than age, its from the same vein as WoW's ( less life like and more cartoony. Helps things hold up a bit better over the long term )

10+ Year Old Account
    The ordinary questing stuff would gets so boring... not sure if it would still be enjoyable to run around with a one-man army. When I leveled my second bountyhunter with a friends operative... he wouldn't even bother to do anything as our companions and my mercenary killed everything so quickly it felt almost supernatural. Same goes for all endbosses and such... they can be tricky solo but are obsolete easy if you do it with a friend/ more than one companion.
    Well the way it worked in GW1 was that every mob/group of mobs was tuned for a full party, and you would fill up your party with companions. At first, the companions (or henchmen) had limited skills and no customizable gear. However, in the 2nd expansion, they added heroes, with their own stats, their own gear, and you could change their skill loadouts. I would have liked to see something like this for SWTOR.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Interesting... yes that could very much work.

Just came to my mind... when they introduced Rise of Kunark in Eq2... the trash mobs in that expansion were hitting so hard, if you hadn't been fully equipped with raid gear or if you were a healer... I've never heard that much swearing in pub chat ever.

there is something they say in my Country "only fools don't change mind"

btw I was on the opposite side back then. Not a wow defender, but i was saying that I will not buy swtor..all those videos with pistols and lazer is not my taste.I am more of mideaval fantasy games with swords and shields. But then I bought it because of Bioware and it was ok..But now that you say it, I have a friend that sold his wow account because he was absolutely sure he will play swtor only from now on.

Swtor is a good game that had a very good potential but it fell in the wrong hands I think. Every decision they took since launch was wrong. Even the release date was wrong because game was not ready. It is really vital to have a good game at first 2 months. People seem to not have patience now that MMO market is full of games. I lost trust in Bioware not only because swtor but also because of Dragon Age 2. As for EA, I never trust or respect them in the first place so its same old same now

that being said, I still have fun in swtor but not to drop all other games and only play swtor...
    Last edited by papajohn4; 2012-12-27 at 11:44 AM.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

15+ Year Old Account
    I loved SWTOR for about 3 months, assasin and powertech to level 50 > found out there was nothing to do end-game and left.

@ start i had high hopes, and was one of the people stating it could overtrow WoW > what a bummer it didnt.

The same reason i dont think any MMO soon will overtrow WoW, they have all tried: Warhammer, AoC, RIFT, AION, SWTOR, GW2 u name it .. played em all and went back tot wow in mostly 3 months of time.

And the biggest thing i mis in these games, are RAIDS > yes i know RIFT has it but i want them similar as in WoW.

GW2 with nice dungeons, dungeon finder and nice 10-20 man raids like in WoW (instanced) i probably would still play it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played the class storylines and then quit. I feel like I got my moneys worth.

Honestly, I wish GW2 had came out long before SWTOR because SWTOR should have stolen the dynamic combat system. It would have been much more fluent and interesting than the standard WoW-style combat system. Of course that wouldn't have fixed the other issues (i.e. it's better as a solo game than an MMO) but would have made it more tolerable. It felt insanely boring to me, to the point where I could barely do any of the quests on the first planet since it felt so long and drawn out and uninteresting.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I JUST tried SWToR for the first time 2 weeks ago. I rolled a Jedi Knight, went Guardian, and had subbed by the time I got halfway through Coruscant (about level 12 or so). Now I have a level 20 Sith Jugg, a 15 Jedi Guardian, a level 11 Sith Assassin, a 10 Commando and a 10 Sage. I LOVE the game and I'm so happy that I can quit playing WoW. I don't know how long my love affair with the game will last, but I don't really care. It's the most fun I've had leveling in a game, second only to the Cata 1 to 60 experience. Since my raid group fell apart in WoW, I realized how shitty the game is. The LFR experience is lackluster, my work schedule doesn't allow me to join a proper raid group again, the Heroics are a total joke, the dailies I have to do to get any progression (because of the reasons just outlined) are repetitive and stale, and they totally killed my love for tanking with the druid overhaul. My former love of rolling alts has been completely destroyed because the thought of leveling and then doing dailies on 9 other characters just makes me want to gouge my eyes out. Maybe I'll get my first 50 in SWToR and realize the game is terrible, or maybe I'll keep loving it. In any case, good riddance to WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmzuay View Post
    I JUST tried SWToR for the first time 2 weeks ago. I rolled a Jedi Knight, went Guardian, and had subbed by the time I got halfway through Coruscant (about level 12 or so). Now I have a level 20 Sith Jugg, a 15 Jedi Guardian, a level 11 Sith Assassin, a 10 Commando and a 10 Sage. I LOVE the game and I'm so happy that I can quit playing WoW. I don't know how long my love affair with the game will last, but I don't really care. It's the most fun I've had leveling in a game, second only to the Cata 1 to 60 experience. Since my raid group fell apart in WoW, I realized how shitty the game is. The LFR experience is lackluster, my work schedule doesn't allow me to join a proper raid group again, the Heroics are a total joke, the dailies I have to do to get any progression (because of the reasons just outlined) are repetitive and stale, and they totally killed my love for tanking with the druid overhaul. My former love of rolling alts has been completely destroyed because the thought of leveling and then doing dailies on 9 other characters just makes me want to gouge my eyes out. Maybe I'll get my first 50 in SWToR and realize the game is terrible, or maybe I'll keep loving it. In any case, good riddance to WoW.
    I really do hope you end up liking it, but unless something has changed its end game is pretty much just like every other MMO's that has been launched in the last 5 years, Dailies + Heroics + Raiding/PvP for end game. At least thats what my buddy who just went back to SWTOR told me tonight. Personally, I think it has far more to do with finding a good group of people you like playing with than it does anything else.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Personally, I think it has far more to do with finding a good group of people you like playing with than it does anything else.
    I think you're right, this is what it boils down to. I had so tired of WoW that I didn't want to roll on another server in search of a new guild, so a new game was a better solution for me. I've found people here and there I've grouped a few times with, but I'm still in search of a guild. Right now it still doesn't feel necessary. When my WoW friends went away that's when that game really hit a wall with me. I'm sure if that hadn't happened I'd probably have changed mains and kept playing on like always.

Deleted
    I still really like this game,granted i have been playing for about 6 months in total and still not got a level 50,i really enjoy pretty much all of the story lines,i feel with this game that you have more interaction with your character.

I tried going back to WoW after playing SWTOR, when MoP dropped i bought the game was thinking maybe it will be fun again and as much as i tried getting into it,i just couldn't, my love for the game has diminished,as much as i tried getting the feeling i use to have when playing WoW,it's just completely gone which is sad because i met some really cool people and had some really good times on the game.

I have pretty much abandoned WoW completely,and not really sure if i will ever go back and play it as much as i did(or period) i know SWTOR does not have much end game content right now,but i am not to concerned about that,as i am enjoying the experience of different planets and enjoying the interaction you have doing quests.(granted it gets repetitive at times,but so does everything in life)

So as it stands,for me,as much money as i spent on WoW and the expansions,and character renames,race changes,etc,etc one just has to move on,SWTOR is my final MMO to play on a regular bases

If i were to quit SWTOR,then i doubt i would go to any other MMO, unless any new ones come out and i take an interest in it.(which is probably unlikely)

Quote Originally Posted by Harmzuay View Post
    I think you're right, this is what it boils down to. I had so tired of WoW that I didn't want to roll on another server in search of a new guild, so a new game was a better solution for me. I've found people here and there I've grouped a few times with, but I'm still in search of a guild. Right now it still doesn't feel necessary. When my WoW friends went away that's when that game really hit a wall with me. I'm sure if that hadn't happened I'd probably have changed mains and kept playing on like always.
    Well I'm lucky that while my guild is all but dead, after existing for nearly 7 years, that I still have 2-3 good friends who still play constantly. While I don't get to raid normals anymore ( although we've found a guild we may be able to fill in with) I still have a good time. Funny note of the week, We went to visit friends over Christmas and I found out that I have been GM for a couple of weeks and didn't even know it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    People really need to stop mis-using the term "Wall of Text". NOT A SINGLE QUEST in wow presents itself with a wall of text. At most its 3 paragraphs of 4 lines each, at the least its a single paragraph that says "go kill stuff". I will agree that the voiced exposition method is always better, that the old quest delivery method of reading text is obsolete (This has been shown on singleplayer games for quite a while. When was the last time you played a single-player RPG that delivered quests with just text? last one I recall was Neverwinter Nights). But from agreeing that reading texts is obsolete, to calling every single quest in wow a "wall of text", let alone a GIANT one, that's a huge stretch.
    Well then you havent played wow, becuase there's alot of quests with wall of texts.

I cannot fathom understand how anyone can think that wow is more fun to level in. Well the only reason is that you hate to level and you enjoy endgame, because its easier to level in wow.

---------- Post added 2012-12-28 at 02:27 PM ----------

You know that with every character/ companion, your companion becomes better as you get higher presence and stuff. I can literally send my companion (whatever role) sent into an entire group and he won't be at half his/her health by the time you are through with them (only equipped with green/ looted stuff as I don't really bother equipping them throughout the leveling). Braindead leveling is some of the most boring I've ever had... just buff and kill the same monsters for 10 hours = max lvl... yeah. I had that share in SWG and it was mind boggeling for me and I had to stop playing for a while.

My agent was at lvl 39 and I finished lvl 50 in 3 "real day afternoons", just popped xp potions and had my warzone unlocks doing my class quest and probably 1-2 flashpoints.

You pulling more than one group and ending up dead... something you are doing wrong or pulling too many groups.

It depends on your class how easy you can solo stuff but saying that you can't pull an entire planet and not die before lvl 50 is really not being serious. Not likeing challenges in general before lvl 50... really... there is no challenge.

I don't even use a healer companion because it slows me down, using a dd all the time and because of legacy any dd will pull mobs away from you for at least the beginning by which most of the enemies are already dead.

You aren't forced to do anything but you can't expect to have the same survivability with a dd as with a healer companion. Just let your dd companion pull and you do the rest... problem solved.

Most of you didn't level (m)any alts but are judging about it like you did several. I didn't level a single class the same way I leveld the one before. I'm skipping planets, nit pick what quests I want/ don't want but of course I have to compensate for this in a way which I like more... which I do.
    Lol ye agree... if you equipp your companion with gear it becomes so strong... i equipped my jedi knight healer and was rocking down champion cat in hoth and was at 50-60% health at his death and could just continue to farm that spot if i wanted too.. Alot of whine from people that dont try to play the game just whine and think they can jump into a bunch of silver mobs with their green gear and non updated companion gear and 2 shot everything, that hilarous. Its exactly why wow is boring, their is no challenging mobs around and you just jump in everywhere without thinking and 2 shot stuff, so damn boring.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mmaker View Post
    I cannot fathom understand how anyone can think that wow is more fun to level in. Well the only reason is that you hate to level and you enjoy endgame, because its easier to level in wow.
    The game doesn't halt you at every quest giver to go through some canned lines, you have a choice of where to level, areas aren't static and void of life, you're not met with instanced areas all around you that stops you because you're the wrong class. Could be some things.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zokonorb View Post
    The game doesn't halt you at every quest giver to go through some canned lines, you have a choice of where to level, areas aren't static and void of life, you're not met with instanced areas all around you that stops you because you're the wrong class. Could be some things.
    Nailed it.