Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Question liquid cooling ?

so while im playing wow my GPU is sitting at 90-95°C regardless of what level of settings im playing on, and my fans are running at 50% speed and its driving me crazy coz im unable to game without the distraction of the fan noises. so i was thinking of getting myself liquid cooling but i dont know if i should or just by myself a new graphics card...

im using a AMD Radeon 6800 series graphics card, and my case is the HAF 932 advanced with the default fans on it

ive cleaned the dust out my computer as much as i could and couldnt see any dust in the graphics card fan

help me plzzz

also if you know which liquid cooling system would be best please give a link

thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    There must be something wrong with you card if it's running that high.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    There must be something wrong with you card if it's running that high.
    its only 2 years only and was working fine up untill the pre-patch for mop. its only that high when playing wow, when its sitting on the desktop or browsing the web its at 60-65°C

I'd sooner try fixing up a proper airflow in the case with new fans if you're having silly high temps.

Custom liquid cooling isn't cheap to start up, which would be required to cool a GPU. No closed loop GPU coolers I am aware of. Especially if you are going to look at adding your CPU into the loop, it will cost more than your GPU does... might as well spend that on getting a better GPU.
    Last edited by The Cat; 2012-12-20 at 08:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wipeout View Post
    so while im playing wow my GPU is sitting at 90-95°C regardless of what level of settings im playing on, and my fans are running at 50% speed and its driving me crazy coz im unable to game without the distraction of the fan noises. so i was thinking of getting myself liquid cooling but i dont know if i should or just by myself a new graphics card...

im using a AMD Radeon 6800 series graphics card, and my case is the HAF 932 advanced with the default fans on it

ive cleaned the dust out my computer as much as i could and couldnt see any dust in the graphics card fan

help me plzzz

also if you know which liquid cooling system would be best please give a link

thanks

If your GPU has more then one fan then they should be running faster then 50% at that temp. Typically unless you have custom liquid cooling system GPU liquid cooling isn't really that common. I'm more inclined to think there is problem with your video card or you've got some air flow issues in your case.

Most after market liquid cooling is for CPU's like the Corsair H100 for example.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    I'd sooner try fixing up a proper airflow in the case with new fans if you're having silly high temps.
    the airflow to my pc isnt going to get any better, its cureently sitting in the only place avaliable in my room, but is sitting nere a window with the window always open so cold air is always comming into the room, however its on the floor ( not sure if that makes a differance or not ) because its too big for my computer desk xD. i have the case fans which came with the computer on it atm, but was thinking of replacing 1 of the fans with 4 smaller fans.

My point is, the watercooling you're looking for is almost guaranteed to run you quite a pricetag. You can probably begin to consider replacing your graphics card outright rather than watercooling.

Could you pick your graphics card out and investigate closely whether you have dust packed near the heatfins?

It looks like it is the GPU that is the problem...

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    My point is, the watercooling you're looking for is almost guaranteed to run you quite a pricetag. You can probably begin to consider replacing your graphics card outright rather than watercooling.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    Custom liquid cooling isn't cheap to start up, which would be required to cool a GPU. No closed loop GPU coolers I am aware of. Especially if you are going to look at adding your CPU into the loop, it will cost more than your GPU does... might as well spend that on getting a better GPU.

then better question to ask is which graphics card to go with ?.. another AMD grpahics card or a Nvidia GTX 680 ?

Your problem rather seems to be the quality of the cooler or dust-build up. AMD and nVidia are (mostly) equal in these departments, and you should look at the aftermarket coolers their partners (eg, ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, Sapphire) rather than AMD/nVidia themselves.

Depends what you are looking for. AMD is better suited for multiple screens, nVidia is probably better suited for 3D. Both have varying performance from game to game... and depends on budget. But, I'd say AMD probably has the price to performance crown at pretty much every price point right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    GTX 7XX should be out in 3-4 months, hopefully. I have the same card you have, i can manage most games on ultra/high, battlefield 3 & rift mostly. Maybe you can hold on untill the new cards come out? Performance wise a single 780 gtx should be pulling almost the same performance as 690. Thats what i'm doing.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    Depends what you are looking for. AMD is better suited for multiple screens, nVidia is probably better suited for 3D. Both have varying performance from game to game... and depends on budget. But, I'd say AMD probably has the price to performance crown at pretty much every price point right now.
    well i got 1 32" screen and the only games i play are wow and gw2. my current card is AMD but had currently only lasted me 2 years =/

I'm not sure how you're running 60c while just browsing the web, and it going to 100c while playing a game like WoW is insane.

As for airflow, mines is sitting on the ground to the right of me way below the window in a pretty confined space and it's never gotten as how as you're has, even with multiple games open it stays at 35-40c(GTX 550 ti). Don't know what kind of fans you have but if they're really that loud you should look into buying new/better ones.

Perhaps you could post some pics? Have you tried canned air dust cleaners to get the dust out of your gpu? If that's not the case then maybe something went wrong with it and it's malfunctioning. Have you tried touching it with a cloth to see if it's actually that hot? Could also just be a sensor problem.
    Last edited by IRunSoFarAway; 2012-12-20 at 09:09 PM.

Physical size has zero impact on the monitor, resolution has.

Either way, jumping to replacing the graphics card without first properly diagnosing the actual cause of the heat increase seems a bit drastic and expensive.
    How many monitors or connectors do you have plugged at the same time? Make sure there is only one attached, as that increases heat significantly.

Indeed. When I say you should consider a GPU upgrade before watercooling, what I meant was just that. I did not mean to imply you should get your graphics card now. There does seem to be something wrong with your PC as it stands when it's running that hot, to be frank. Do you have a full list of specs, perhaps even a picture? Might be something obvious.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Physical size has zero impact on the monitor, resolution has.

Either way, jumping to replacing the graphics card without first properly diagnosing the actual cause of the heat increase seems a bit drastic and expensive.
    How many monitors or connectors do you have plugged at the same time? Make sure there is only one attached, as that increases heat significantly.
    ive cleaned all the fans in the pc, cleared as much dust as i could out of it without taking the parts out, only thing i havent done it stripped it all out and cleaned it completly ( which ill probs do tomorrow ), i only have 1 monitor plugged into it.

Quote Originally Posted by IRunSoFarAway View Post
    I'm not sure how you're running 60c while just browsing the web, and it going to 100c while playing a game like WoW is insane.

As for airflow, mines is sitting on the ground to the right of me way below the window in a pretty confined space and it's never gotten as how as you're has, even with multiple games open it stays at 35-40c(GTX 550 ti). Don't know what kind of fans you have but if they're really that loud you should look into buying new/better ones.

Perhaps you could post some pics? Have you tried canned air dust cleaners to get the dust out of your gpu? If that's not the case then maybe something went wrong with it and it's malfunctioning. Have you tried touching it with a cloth to see if it's actually that hot? Could also just be a sensor problem.
    here are some pics of how my computer is sitting atm.. ( excuse the dirty floor it needs a hover and i cba lol )

---------- Post added 2012-12-20 at 10:33 PM ----------

Indeed. When I say you should consider a GPU upgrade before watercooling, what I meant was just that. I did not mean to imply you should get your graphics card now. There does seem to be something wrong with your PC as it stands when it's running that hot, to be frank. Do you have a full list of specs, perhaps even a picture? Might be something obvious.
    my computer specs stand as the following:

Coolermaster HAF 932 Full Tower Case
    MSI P55-GD85 P55 Socket 1156 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
    OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU Single 12V Rail 135mm Fan
    Asus HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI Dual Mini Display Port Out PCI-E Graphics Card
    Intel i5 760 2.8GHz Socket 1156 8MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor
    2x Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz Memory Kit Unbuffered CL9
    SAMSUNG 128GB 830 Series SSD
    2TB internal HDD

if your wanting pics of inside will have to wait untill i switch off my pc xD
    Last edited by Wipeout; 2012-12-20 at 09:38 PM.

Is there a fan that's blocked by the bed? There's not much else to tell unless it's an open pic of the pc in regards to air flow.

Also what were you temps before it was 60-100c? If you remember. Like I said before, the card just might be going bad.