Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I don't think he actually is a dps check, the first time we killed him we still had like 1 min left on the timer

imo the majority of elegon wipes (including our own for like 2 weeks) can be traced back to not properly knowing the mechanics involved with the pillars and adds, how the pillars buff the boss so he spawns more adds
    I still see people on streams etc go one pillar by one and then get murdered by all the adds since they spawn at a stupidly fast pace

10+ Year Old Account
    If these guild can't figure out how to overcome Elegon.....i think they just need to realise they might be missing something that can't adjust accordingly after wipes. I mean, its one of the rare 2-healer fight of the expention where you need decent healers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    He was merely a gear check, the actual mechanics were very simple. That said, his gear check was needlessly high in normal.
    He could easily be killed with like 463 blue heroic gear, so he was never a gear check. And especially not with lfr and other epic gear most casual raiders will have by now. Mechanics are kinda hard when you do not know for example that you should kill all pillars at the same time, or if your tanks cannot keep control of the adds.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairm View Post
    If these guild can't figure out how to overcome Elegon.....i think they just need to realise they might be missing something that can't adjust accordingly after wipes. I mean, its one of the rare 2-healer fight of the expention where you need decent healers.
    Agree but take into consderation that this massive amount of wow players who are stuck on elegon atm are mainly people who cant execute the strategy perfeckly - those who were capable of killing it already did it - rest if stuck for few more weeks would just loose interest in raiding completly. because they are the people who depend not on tactic and eecution only on overgearing. Next nerfs i forsee in few weeks when those guilds will be stuck on garalon -_-

Early in the tier my guild spent 2 weeks wiping on Elegon. After we killed it, we haven't wiped on it a single time since. It wasn't because our gear got better, it's because we understood the mechanics better (mostly with regards to killing the pillars at the same time).

I think the best nerf they could make to this fight would be adding a line to the Dungeon Journal saying that in the pillar phase, you should try to kill all 6 at the same time. That would have saved my guild 2 weeks of wiping, as this never seemed like an obvious mechanic to me.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Less time killing protectors means more time on the boss. Same with killing the other adds. If it turns out to be one less protector per phase the fight becomes massively easier even if you kill the same number of waves.

It's a good change imo. It'll be nice for people cockblocked on this fight to put MV to bed.
    ah yes. didnt think of it like that.

---------- Post added 2012-12-22 at 06:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nohara View Post
    I think its welcome for the guilds who are stuck on it. Once we killed it 6-7 weeks ago, we hardly wiped on it. But I agree it is a big step from spirit kings to Elegon, especially when Will of the Emporer is such as step back. We only wiped once on that boss, and that was our very first attempt, where we called out a wipe because of silly mistakes.

And to be honost, I feel a little the same about Garalon. Again a massive DPS check (unless you have 2 very powerfull healers). Boss after that, we hardly wiped on it.

Now, dont get me wrong, I loved the challenge in Normal mode, but without a decent amount of LFR gear to replace your blues, some encounters are a bit to much for your average guild of brawlers. Perhaps it seperates the men from the boys.
    garalon was a horrible dps check for us... ended up 4-healing it to meet enrage!

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    Not exactly sure why you think that is. Heroic actually takes alot away from the fight aswell - due to the gas being present at all times, the "intense AOE phase" in normal mode, suddenly becomes "breathing room where absolutely nothing happens" in heroic. Soaking sparks isn't even a fun mechanic, and that's the only other difference - it just means that you need to get a rogue and a hunter in the raid.

Mostly the CC element, coordinating the mass entanglements and rings of frost, getting the stuns and death grips and ursol's vortex working. It just feels like a purposeful mechanic and interesting encounter instead of "well kill some adds for a bit".

10+ Year Old Account
    It was a difficult boss - a little too difficult for a normal mode. Especially at the lower gear levels, and in the first raid of the tier.
    It's a normal mode, no biggie.
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    Blizzard offered cardboard cut outs with poster pictures of bosses stapled on them upside down and sideways and many players now feel that is raiding.
    Raxxykins

It was too hard for being the 5th normal mode boss in a 16-boss tier, particularly with the gating.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Draeblin View Post
    Mechanics are kinda hard when you do not know for example that you should kill all pillars at the same time...
    Why should you do this? I am not saying you should not, I'm just curious. I've just got to this fight in my slow starting guild raid group and from what you (and another poster here says), I am missing a fight mechanic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    Why should you do this? I am not saying you should not, I'm just curious. I've just got to this fight in my slow starting guild raid group and from what you (and another poster here says), I am missing a fight mechanic.
    Killing pillars apply stacks to him. The more stacks the faster he spawns adds and the more aoe damage he does.
    If you go from 0 stacks to 6 stacks to instantly pushing it, you have very little adds and extremely low raid damage.
    If you ramp it up, getting 2 stacks, 4 stacks, 6 stacks, you will have a ton of adds and a ton of raid damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    Blizzard offered cardboard cut outs with poster pictures of bosses stapled on them upside down and sideways and many players now feel that is raiding.
    Raxxykins

Quote Originally Posted by Lebonj View Post
    If Elegon was causing problems and Blizzard was identifying what those problems were, then adjusting just those things is the right way to go about changes. Nerfing it completely would have caused outrage. Hope they continue to do this in future.
    Well, they are blanket-nerfing the instances because of item upgrade. But I certainly see your point.

Elegon was overtuned; thought so when we did it first. Though I would not feel that way had it been the last boss. As a last boss, it would have been absolutely epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Raxxed View Post
    Killing pillars apply stacks to him. The more stacks the faster he spawns adds and the more aoe damage he does.
    If you go from 0 stacks to 6 stacks to instantly pushing it, you have very little adds and extremely low raid damage.
    If you ramp it up, getting 2 stacks, 4 stacks, 6 stacks, you will have a ton of adds and a ton of raid damage.
    So much truth to this. Our very first kill we got the straight six achievement.

It was a joke really to get an achievement for doing the fight like your supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by Demeia View Post
    Well, they are blanket-nerfing the instances because of item upgrade. But I certainly see your point.

Elegon was overtuned; thought so when we did it first. Though I would not feel that way had it been the last boss. As a last boss, it would have been absolutely epic.

Yeah I agree with some as said before me. Elegon and Will should have been switched. We spent 2 weeks on Elegon and we 2 shot will.
    Last edited by Keilith; 2012-12-24 at 02:27 PM.

Elegon is definitely one of the harder fights of the raid, Tbh I think elegon could have easily been the last boss of MSV.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    Elegon is definitely one of the harder fights of the raid, Tbh I think elegon could have easily been the last boss of MSV.
    If this were the case, the difficulty ramp up from Normal to Heroic WotE would make absolutely no sense.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    If this were the case, the difficulty ramp up from Normal to Heroic WotE would make absolutely no sense.
    That's the problem with Elegon normal mode being so hard that Heroic version ends up as a total joke. Granted, it still wouldn't be an end instance boss material, but if you didn't have to put so much effort into normal, it would at least end up "harder". Relatively.

Quote Originally Posted by Keilith View Post
    Yeah I agree with some as said before me. Elegon and Will should have been switched. We spent 2 weeks on Elegon and we 2 shot will.
    but heroic is reversed, elegon isn't that much harder on heroic most guilds do him 4th and spirit kings 5th, while will is harder than elegon, its around the same as spirit kings. so kinda silly to make 6th hc boss the 4th hardest.

Quote Originally Posted by Halifax View Post
    Early in the tier my guild spent 2 weeks wiping on Elegon. After we killed it, we haven't wiped on it a single time since. It wasn't because our gear got better, it's because we understood the mechanics better (mostly with regards to killing the pillars at the same time).

I think the best nerf they could make to this fight would be adding a line to the Dungeon Journal saying that in the pillar phase, you should try to kill all 6 at the same time. That would have saved my guild 2 weeks of wiping, as this never seemed like an obvious mechanic to me.
    Hmm.. you mean like making an achievement for it?

Straight Six - Deactivate six Empyreal Focuses within 10 seconds of each other, and then defeat Elegon in Mogu'shan Vaults on Normal or Heroic difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Krazyfrog View Post
    Hmm.. you mean like making an achievement for it?

Straight Six - Deactivate six Empyreal Focuses within 10 seconds of each other, and then defeat Elegon in Mogu'shan Vaults on Normal or Heroic difficulty.
    What with the achievements often making the boss harder, not easier, that isn't exactly a connection people would automatically make.

Quote Originally Posted by Aethon View Post
    elegon was a hard fight on normal, but at the same time that's what made the fight. the fight drops a mount, it should have been an end boss but there was no need for a nerf in my opinion. I mean hell, should nerf stone guards seeing as it has a smaller kill/wipe precentage than will.
    Stone Guards isn't a good comparison since its the first boss.
    Every group who has attempted Elegon has had at least some of its members down Spirit Kings which means that they have basic raid competency. There are probably plenty of guilds who have attempted Stone Guard who don't have any business being in raids at all.