Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanamman View Post
    That is a fair question, but at the same time. These kids may be dead without the gun. We won't ever know what would have happened and I would rather not find out because stupid politicians think guns are evil.
    at the same time kids elsewhere could be killed or seriously injured playing with daddies gun.

Quote Originally Posted by QQingshaman View Post
    at the same time kids elsewhere could be killed or seriously injured playing with daddies gun.
    It takes responsible parents to teach their guns proper gun control, if the parents dont care enough about their children to teach them these lessons, they dont deserve to be parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I was being sarcastic. The parents were being irresponsible, but it does demonstrate how guns can even the playing field between aggressor and victim when used correctly
    Calling it, staged event.

Also, the boy did use correctly. He only used it. Using correctly means chosing to not do the alternative and fully being aware of the alternative. I doubt a 14 year old will know the consequences. Also, what the heck, who gives a gun to 14 years old or just leaves it lying around, his other children could have gotten the gun. It simply did not turn out badly this time, not a norm at this age.

This is just an outlier and of no relevance to the gun debate, clearly.
    And the Shootings are much more of an outlier.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wrathblade View Post
    again one of the stories that show everyone guns aren't for the mentally insane alone.
    I think people often get "gun control" confused with no guns at all

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kazih View Post
    Politicians want to bann assault weapons with large clips to prevent school shootings -> someone used a handgun with small clip to shoot an intruder in his own home -> oh hey we shouldn't ban assault weapons after all.
    A full-sized glock .45 carries around 17 rounds, I wouldn't call that small, nor a "clip"; sorry to nitpick, I just start twitching when someone calls a magazine a "clip". Funny though, that most of the gun control people do indeed call it a "clip", showing a lack of understanding of something they claim to want to control. But I digress...

Honestly, those of you talking about.. irresponsible gun ownership? Really? Maybe the gun was well hidden known only to the adults and 14 year-old, for occasions exactly like this. It really seems like you guys are grasping at straws, especially when the horrible event could have ended even worse, with four dead children, had the young teen not decided to do his duty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by QQingshaman View Post
    How do we know that the younger kids even KNEW about the gun? Who is to say that the parents didn't educate their oldest about where the gun was in case of a situation just like this? Everyone wants to assume that because the 14 year old was able to get the gun that the parents are completely irresponsible. For all we know it was in a lockbox that only this kid had the combination to.
    “The rains have ceased, and we have been graced with another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it.”

the boy is a hero then!

Quote Originally Posted by Dunstinator View Post
    Do you have autism? You basically just wrote that you welcome intruders into your home, because they can't get you, nana nana boo boo.... In the case that the intruder was invading the home FOR THE REASON of murder. He would have found a way through the gate.

its people like you that make me embarrassed to be a part of the human race. You were probably a kid that tattled to the teacher every time you saw someone doing something mischievous...
    Or maybe he just lives in Sweden where they try to make sure crazy people generally dont kill others and try not to piss others off to such a degree they would want him dead.

Deleted
    As someone who thinks that there should be better gun control, I think that this young man should be praised for doing everything correctly.
    he did not answer the door to someone he did not know, and he defended is siblings with a hand gun when the situation escalated.

Good For him, This is what I would say was a reasonable use of a firearm. This situation is nothing like having large magazine and have the ability to fire off 30-40 shots as fast as you can pull the trigger, reloading and doing it all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    Calling it, staged event.

Also, the boy did use correctly. He only used it. Using correctly means chosing to not do the alternative and fully being aware of the alternative. I doubt a 14 year old will know the consequences. Also, what the heck, who gives a gun to 14 years old or just leaves it lying around, his other children could have gotten the gun. It simply did not turn out badly this time, not a norm at this age.
    His parents are responsible, good parents, and you are going to claim that they were irresponsible by allowing that boy access to the firearm? This boy was probably more intelligent than you are, and you are going to say its a bad idea to allow him the access to a deadly weapon. His parents obviously raised him well. You would cry like a little girl and beg for mercy if you were in that situation.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is just an outlier and of no relevance to the gun debate, clearly.

Proves that owning guns is helpful to stop whatever these nut jobs would do to these kids. Your just pro ban and trying to discredit it, your an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Or maybe he just lives in Sweden where they try to make sure crazy people generally dont kill others and try not to piss others off to such a degree they would want him dead.
    You think America simply welcomes psychopaths? People murder other people in every single country in the world. Your talk about location means absolutely nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarocket View Post
    I say props to the 14 year old. It's a good demonstration of why super-strict gun regulation is unnecessary and potentially harmful. I have no issue with possibly banning some assault weapons (I agree, who exactly needs those?) but a strict no guns at all law is not the answer. Moderation and education are the keys here I think.

To those saying 14 is young...not really. I was taught how to operate a handgun and a rifle by that age by my father just in case someone were to ever break into our house when they were gone. About that age I was told the code to the small safe that held our handgun. It's up to the parents to teach their kids, and that's what it looks like happened in this case. It's possible that the kid was informed of the location of this stuff as he was the oldest sibling.
    Remember, you are different generation. In my generation, I was running the household since my father was in the USA. I was also actively farming, with manual labor and also directing servants. I was 15 at the time. Tell me, can even your generation do the things I did at my age? Different generations have different capacity to learn and do different thing. Teaching todays youth about guns WILL lead to disaster, as youths now a days can not control emotion and by all means soft.

---------- Post added 2012-12-21 at 09:33 PM ----------

You think America simply welcomes psychopaths? People murder other people in every single country in the world. Your talk about location means absolutely nothing.
    Yes. Our laws give equal rights to everyone even psychopaths. Unless a mentally insane person harms another, he can not be forced to get help. By then its too late, thats why there are so many psychopaths running around. Seriously, other developed nation do not have this many crazy crimes. Must be something in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    Remember, you are different generation. In my generation, I was running the household since my father was in the USA. I was also actively farming, with manual labor and also directing servants. I was 15 at the time. Tell me, can even your generation do the things I did at my age? Different generations have different capacity to learn and do different thing. Teaching todays youth about guns WILL lead to disaster, as youths now a days can not control emotion and by all means soft.
    From what i get, you are an old fart spawn of a rich guy... still playing video games(i would assume as much considering you are on mmo-champ.) As i will agree that generation has something to do with stuff like this, black sheep do exist... In my experiences growing up(currently 20) i am the only person, out of all of my friends able to operate a pistol correctly, let alone even know what it does.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it absolutely deplorable that this boy had the audacity to raise a weapon against a man who merely wanted to enter his home. To think we live in a country where 14 year old children are capable of incapacitating a visitor on a simple visit disgusts me. If this boy did not have access to a gun then I am sure things would have been much smoother and much less violent, especially for this poor man.

Satire aside, glad this kid was cool-headed enough to get his dad's gun, who knows what might have happened.
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

No, i think America just don't do enough about it.

His parents are responsible, good parents, and you are going to claim that they were irresponsible by allowing that boy access to the firearm? This boy was probably more intelligent than you are, and you are going to say its a bad idea to allow him the access to a deadly weapon. His parents obviously raised him well. You would cry like a little girl and beg for mercy if you were in that situation.
    Giving a 14 years old a gun in no way responsible. 14 years old are emotional, its simply fact. You are also forgetting there were other kids at the home who were not even 14. Such easy access to guns could have turned ugly if the other kids got their hand on it.

From what i get, you are an old fart spawn of a rich guy... still playing video games(i would assume as much considering you are on mmo-champ.) As i will agree that generation has something to do with stuff like this, black sheep do exist... In my experiences growing up(currently 20) i am the only person, out of all of my friends able to operate a pistol correctly, let alone even know what it does.
    Doesn't take a rocket surgeon to know a gun shoots stuff, eh...

Quote Originally Posted by bekilrwale View Post
    I find it absolutely deplorable that this boy had the audacity to raise a weapon against a man who merely wanted to enter his home. To think we live in a country where 14 year old children are capable of incapacitating a visitor on a simple visit disgusts me. If this boy did not have access to a gun then I am sure things would have been much smoother and much less violent, especially for this poor man.

Satire aside, glad this kid was cool-headed enough to get his dad's gun, who knows what might have happened.
    What is the matter with you? This person was an armed intruder, not the freaking milk man.. Its people like you that make everyone want gun laws, because crazy idiots like you decide to go shoot people... You should see a psychologist.