Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Why are you comparing it to a real life eagle.... dafuq?
    Because a gryphon is a mix between an eagle head/wings and a lion body. That's the definition of a gryphon and Blizzard is calling them gryphons and they looked like that since Warcraft 1. Now they changed it without good reason.

I think it looks great.. plenty more HD.
    I did not complain about extra polygons, I complain about the art-direction. It contradicts all previouse Artworks (including painted ones without any polygonal restrictions) and it looks wrong on many levels.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    I did not complain about extra polygons, I complain about the art-direction. It contradicts all previouse Artworks (including painted ones without any polygonal restrictions) and it looks wrong on many levels.
    That's what they told the platypus but that didn't stop him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    Because a gryphon is a mix between an eagle head/wings and a lion body. That's the definition of a gryphon and Blizzard is calling them gryphons and they looked like that since Warcraft 1. Now they changed it without good reason.

Fair enough but after so many reskins of gryphons with lolrecolor I think this new art direction is a breath of fresh air but I may be biased towards the new polygon count. I think the older gryphons look like shit and could never use them on my alliance chars. You can't tell me that tons of recolors on this gryphon won't be coming so that argument is invalid (not sure if made by you), but different models/art direction who knows.

Sorry that you don't like it :3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Why are you comparing it to a real life eagle.... dafuq?

I think it looks great.. plenty more HD.
    It looks like the artists got carried away, again.

RPGs have their own lore and objects in lore, changing the formula purely on an art basis can and will cause folks to question those changes.

---------- Post added 2012-12-23 at 10:14 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Brytryne View Post
    That's what they told the platypus but that didn't stop him.
    It wouldn't be called a Platypus if the Platypus now have the eyes of a snake.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    It wouldn't be called a Platypus if the Platypus now have the eyes of a snake.
    There could maybe be subspecies of griffins. Since they're made up and everything.
    Just maybe.

Deleted
    You guys will complain about anything...

It texture, not dirty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brytryne View Post
    There could maybe be subspecies of griffins. Since they're made up and everything.
    Just maybe.
    Yeah, like we see eagles with literally glowing eyes and classify them as eagles.

Darwin has got to be really rolling in his grave now...
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Deleted
    Honestly, just reading Tides Of Darkness in which the Wildhammers and their great Gryphons really stood out in the story, and as I read I got the vision that these Gryphons were very majestic but very deadly, with just three of them taking down a dragon kin of Alexstraza, but I don't quite think the new model fulfills the vision, the beaks and talons look blunt, when really they should like they are capable of ripping a man in two, at one point a Gryphon ripped through a dragons scales and deep into its body close to the bone.

Other then that they look good, maybe they could do with looking a bit more noble but that's difficult to convey in a model.

IMO it's an improvement, looks 10x better then it did so why complain
    Last edited by mmocb813d6b095; 2012-12-23 at 03:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's pretty amazing how people will defend this atrocity. I've been saying it's hideous since the day we saw it datamined from the PTR. The old model looks older, but way better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it's war. And things getting dirty in battle. Not much time to get into a car.... wait.. bird wash..

Joke aside.. It's an ongoing thing ever since. For the most part items lacking color vibrancy. Every toon, when looked at from a bit of distance turns into a greyish mass.
    For years I've dreamed to have an all white toon one day... I dunno, but when you have a Nelf with white hair, and using a white mount, that just looks cool in my opinion.
    Can be applied to other colors as well, I'm sure someone would love to have an all red toon... It just isn't the case, Blizzard drops that ball ever since.

I don't get these realism comparisons. It's NOT an eagle, it's a gryphon. Gryphons aren't actually things.

Yes, this don't look like a gryphon... but you'll defend the Snowy and Ebon Gryphons that are blatantly not gryphons by virtue of colouring alone?

Claws and Beak don't look so sharp: Due to higher polygon count, they could round out edges alot more, instead of having such 8 year old limitations.

Not pristine white feathers: I'm sorry, it's a war. You think everyone has time to be pampering their mount during war-times?
    Games are not necessarily "easier" today. You are just a better player.
    It takes more now to impress many gamers than it did 2-5 years ago, because so much has already been seen and done.
    Many players expect to be wow'd with every release of a beloved franchise.
    These are generally NOT the fault of the developers, but the fault of many players over-hyping and/or setting expectations too high.

Deleted
    Just look at the new models eyes... omg looks so shitty tbh :P

Also seems like people think people who compare them to irl eagles are crazy. A Gryphon is eagle/Lion like griffins (Heroes games) or just basic mythology. These new ones got a nice higer poly count and higher res textures but look like shit. The eyes are umm... what are they really? They dont fit at all tbh. And the beak looks twisted like it crashed into a wall. Why change so much with the old one? I think people would like a high res version of the old one. Like people already have said, its looked the same during the entire warcraft "timespan" and now it looks like something from the netherworld
    Last edited by mmocf83d81c154; 2012-12-23 at 03:58 PM.

It's a #$^&*@ fantasy game. You're a blue space goat riding around on flying serpents killing dragons the size of continents. And you're wondering why a gryphon doesn't look like an eagle?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroEdgeir View Post
    Yes, this don't look like a gryphon... but you'll defend the Snowy and Ebon Gryphons that are blatantly not gryphons by virtue of colouring alone?
    There's no precedent on feather colors for gryphons. Can make them the color of Macaws, but the usual features still exist.

Change of gryphon colors = arguing over colors on tier armor.

Change of gryphon features = arguing over that paladins can wear cloth gear with plate bonuses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thread title made me imagine debauched mounts drinking heavily and flashing their vents at onlookers while raucously mating with wyverns.

Now I'm slightly disappointed.

Deleted
    Whether the 'dirtier' appearance is good or bad seems to be debatable, but I think we can all agree that the eyes look retarded.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    It's pretty amazing how people will defend this atrocity. I've been saying it's hideous since the day we saw it datamined from the PTR. The old model looks older, but way better.
    I hope you're being hyperbolic.

Also - opinions are opinions.

Do you know what the word 'atrocity' means?

If you like the old model, use the old model. But don't squeal at everyone else when the game moves on without you!
    Last edited by mmoc62babd2cec; 2012-12-23 at 04:26 PM. Reason: More ranting

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the new one looks great.