Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Dreaming to much and losing perspective

i sleep for about 8 hours a night roughly and about 5-10 minutes after i sleep i start dreaming lucid powerful color dreams. sound of course is part of it.

Last night my last adventure was approximately equal to a week of normal memories and experiences i woke up today so disjointed it felt like so long.

since i have been 12 my dreams have been growing in length complexity and vividness.
    if this pattern continues what happens when every time i sleep im gone for a week what happens if it gets longer.

currently when i sleep the dreams and experiences are equal to 2-3 days. i fear it getting longer and bigger like it did last night
    Professor Membrane: anyone that would build a space/time object replacement device is a complete MORON "echo" Moron" "fadeing more" moron
    Invader Zim: GIR the space/time object replacement device is ready

Deleted
    You don't dream longer, you just remember you're dreams better is my best guess.
    Tbh I'm a bit jaleous, but I also experience longer, more vivid dreams. Do you happen to have finals coming up?

but if im rememebering more with more complexity its starting to shove out my memories of real life

---------- Post added 2012-12-26 at 02:07 PM ----------

im honestly scared i woke up and went out to my family and they felt...it felt like i hadnt seen them in a while. a week i felt disconnected even though i know it was only one night it felt off everything was off
    Professor Membrane: anyone that would build a space/time object replacement device is a complete MORON "echo" Moron" "fadeing more" moron

I kind of know what you are feeling. I used to love getting dreams, but ever since i stopped working as a blacksmith aprrentice, i've been dreaming so much it is annoying. Now i can get like 8 defirent dreams a night, and some of them almost seems like reallity. I'm kind of wondering if i'm going insane, because sometimes i just can't wake up again.
    Like today, i went to bed 04.00 this night, and wanted to get up at 12.00. but because of my dreams i woke up 14.30, and it feels like i've been sleeping for 4 days.

I'm starting to hate dreaming, it's starting to become an alternative reallity. I even broke up with my girlfriend in a dream, then didn't call her for 2 days because i thought it really happened.... :/

Deleted
    Maybe you aren't tired enough? Try doing some hard labor, don't stay up to late, go to sleep at normal hours.
    But yeh working hard does wonders if you want deep, dreamless sleepsessions (and by working hard I mean, pushing yourself beyond your limits every now and then)

Also, maybe game a bit less? When I was a hardcore gamer (game sessions of 3hours+) I had a hard time sleeping, you know those dreams where you dream about lying in bed, but stuff seems to be happening and you don't know if you are dreaming or awake

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Maybe you aren't tired enough? Try doing some hard labor, don't stay up to late, go to sleep at normal hours.
    But yeh working hard does wonders if you want deep, dreamless sleepsessions (and by working hard I mean, pushing yourself beyond your limits every now and then)

Also, maybe game a bit less? When I was a hardcore gamer (game sessions of 3hours+) I had a hard time sleeping, you know those dreams where you dream about lying in bed, but stuff seems to be happening and you don't know if you are dreaming or awake
    Had the same issue. It always happened when i spent to much time with tech and not enough physical activity. You just need to exercise or do some mindless task before you go to bed. Never go to bed after gaming if your having these. Also get on a normal sleep schedual, it will help too. Its more your mind is racing for some reason.

When you start waking up screaming or sleep walking and doing all sorts of weird shit like i do then you have something to worry about

i do not do anything weird when i sleep except move slightly.

but my increased dreaming and what i dream about is independent of daily activities or physical exertion only the last night did it rapidly increase it total remembered content and vividness.

This same exact shit has happened to me since I took SSRIs to help with college years ago (I've been off for some time).

I'll wake up and often not remember what day it is. What really sucks though, is that in my dreams I'm able to feel pain: lots of it :/

You're all becoming wargs.

Deleted
    Write them down and write books.

And yes, I sometimes have very long dreams too. You never know, maybe they're memories form other lives, the lives of others, other universes or just your imagination. Who knows? But it's nice to have long dreams

Also to people who have nightmares of feel pain in dreams. Just think "1.2.3.Wake up" several times while in the dream and you should wake up. Remember, you're in control there. And yes, it works. I tested it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dream like that often, and I actually enjoy it even if I can wake up completely disoriented. Just woke up from a dream that, after many many twists and turns ended up with me being in a homeless camp attempting to build my home while chasing off people who want to loot everything... had to poison my food and self administer the antidote to keep it from being taken.

But back on track.. typically, this is caused by interrupted sleep cycles, the most common criminal being caffeine that you drink before about.. 2:00 if you go to sleep at midnight (10 hours is a pretty safe half life for caffeine's more subtle effects).

This thread reminds me of that scene where they went to find Yusuf in Inception. Where there's all these guys who's life and dream's all messed up. Kinda scary =/

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    But back on track.. typically, this is caused by interrupted sleep cycles, the most common criminal being caffeine that you drink before about.. 2:00 if you go to sleep at midnight (10 hours is a pretty safe half life for caffeine's more subtle effects).
    That explains so much...

I dream like that often, and I actually enjoy it even if I can wake up completely disoriented. Just woke up from a dream that, after many many twists and turns ended up with me being in a homeless camp attempting to build my home while chasing off people who want to loot everything... had to poison my food and self administer the antidote to keep it from being taken.

Lucky.

I'd enjoy it if my dreams weren't rather violent and often times emotionally traumatic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Lucky.

I'd enjoy it if my dreams weren't rather violent and often times emotionally traumatic.
    I have nightmares... not frequently, but fairly often. I've also trained myself to force myself awake at will, though, so if there's a dream not going a way I like I can essentially abort the mission.

Though, typically when I do that it results in 10-15 minutes of freaking out telling myself don't fall back asleep, don't fall back asleep.

Deleted
    I hate dreams that are very vivid. Used to get them a lot while on some medicine in the past, still get them from time to time.
    Some of them having made me wake up crying, laughing or just screaming because I got so scared.

I have nightmares... not frequently, but fairly often. I've also trained myself to force myself awake at will, though, so if there's a dream not going a way I like I can essentially abort the mission.

Though, typically when I do that it results in 10-15 minutes of freaking out telling myself don't fall back asleep, don't fall back asleep.
    Yeah, I guess that they often seem so real I really cannot do that.

Basically my dreams are almost exclusively nightmares now. Sometimes I'll have to change my shirt two to three times a night because I wake up in a cold sweat over and over.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I guess that they often seem so real I really cannot do that.

Basically my dreams are almost exclusively nightmares now. Sometimes I'll have to change my shirt two to three times a night because I wake up in a cold sweat over and over.
    Usually if your sleep cycle is being interrupted to that point, you should talk to a professional about it.

Usually if your sleep cycle is being interrupted to that point, you should talk to a professional about it.
    Yeah, I tend to avoid doing that. Talking to a professional (and the meds that followed) about my depression in college is what got me into this mess in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I tend to avoid doing that. Talking to a professional (and the meds that followed) about my depression in college is what got me into this mess in the first place.
    Fair enough, but ultimately SSRI's and that entire school of medications is extremely difficult to dose and establish safe therapeutic parameters, and even the best psychiatrists often must try several medications before finding one that best helps an individual. Also, you could go for advice and ultimately make the choice whether or not to purchase medications or not as a solution.