View Poll Results: Is Warcraft a "ripoff" of Warhammer?

Voters
547. This poll is closed
  • Yes

131 23.95%
  • No

416 76.05%
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkkitehti View Post
    Are you seriously claiming that WoW doesn't have a huge marketing?

I don't watch a lot of TV, but when I do, there are only 3 gaming companies that have TV ads in here. Sony advertising playstation, EA advertising various games and Blizzard advertising WoW's current expansion. WoW is the only mmo I've ever seen a TV ad for, everywhere in the internets there are WoW ads. I don't really remember how it was on WoW's original launch, but I'm willing to bet they made a big deal out of it. As a bit of anecdotal evidence, even my non-gaming brother knew what WoW was when it launched.

Which reminds me of a certain South Park episode... But no, I guess WoW doesn't have much marketing.
    No, he's claiming WOW didn't have huge marketing when it started.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcapown View Post
    Kudos to Blizzard for deleting 6,100+ of your posts.
    Working hard at already 5 posts to get banned, Alcapown?
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

OP: A Rip-Off?
    No. Child? Yes.
    Warcraft was definitely born from Warhammer. Warcraft 1 was going to be a warhammer game, but I believe Games Workshop pulled the plug. So Warhammer gave birth to Warcraft, but from then on, Warcraft was it's own identity, developing in its own way.

10+ Year Old Account
    As Cata demonstrated: WoW is but about instances now. So much Blizzard removed the conveniences of guild group travel to get players back into the world.

Doesn't remove the community.

Working hard at already 5 posts to get banned, Alcapown?
    That post isn't warrenting a ban, though you've been banned on the WoW forums and here to so don't start with him.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Warcraft began as a Warhammer spin-off, but I feel that the two franchises have differentiated themselves enough that Warcraft is not a Warhammer rip-off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    Doesn't remove the community.
    You're right, if a community even existed. Everyman for Himself isn't a community, you know?
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

I think people are confusing things. So to make it simple. Yes, Warcraft franchise, its origin, is a Warhammer ripoff. No, World of Warcraft is not a Warhammer ripoff.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're right, if a community even existed. Everyman for Himself isn't a community, you know?
    It still exists Kevyne, it's not the best but it still exists. Your definition of a community isn't law.

I think people are confusing things. So to make it simple. Yes, Warcraft franchise, its origin, is a Warhammer ripoff. No, World of Warcraft is not a Warhammer ripoff.

It wasn't ripped off, but highly inspired? Yeah you're telling me.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Alastaircrawly View Post
    I read an interview with Blizzard back in the mid-late '90s (post WC1, pre-WC2, iirc) in a gaming mag where someone from Blizzard said more or less exactly the same things, specifically:

1) "We wanted to do a Warhammer game but couldn't work out a deal with GW"

and

2) "We were very heavily visually influenced by the Warhammer universe"

I've brought this interview up a few times over the years, and thought it would be uncontroversial (as the Patrick Wyatt himself says, the similarities are pretty obvious), but people have insisted that Blizzard would never, could never, have said such a thing, that the similarities are pure coincidence, and particularly that suggestions that Blizzard was ever interested in Warhammer were pure internet-wank, not memories of them actually saying it. That the art style was pure coincidence and anyone asserting that it was obviously somewhat derivative of Warhammer was just being a hater. Also, of course, that I had either made up or hallucinated the article, because they couldn't find evidence of it on the internet, which automatically means it never happened!
    theres a fine line between inspiration and rip off.

i think warcraft is different enough not to be called a rip off. especially in its current version
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

It wasn't ripped off, but highly inspired? Yeah you're telling me.
    For me its semantics. Highly inspired = ripoff. But then again, English is not my primary language, perhaps I am lost in the field of precise definitions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Awe View Post
    For me its semantics. Highly inspired = ripoff. But then again, English is not my primary language, perhaps I am lost in the field of precise definitions.
    Well no it's not a ripoff. I've seen worse ripoffs but Warcraft is not.

Warrior-Magi

Well no it's not a ripoff. I've seen worse ripoffs but Warcraft is not.
    Then how come every single fantasy MMO released in the last years is named on this forum as "WoW ripoff"? If those are ripoffs, then how Warcraft is not a Warhammer ripoff? Even Blizzard said that Warcraft 1 was supposed to be a Warhammer game in the first place.

a ripoff is basically the exact same thing with minimal changes to avoid lawsuit and is made purely to cash in on a higher property.

an inspiration is something similar but different enough to be its own thing and go its own way

---------- Post added 2012-12-24 at 01:47 AM ----------

Then how come every single fantasy MMO released in the last years is named on this forum as "WoW ripoff"? If those are ripoffs, then how Warcraft is not a Warhammer ripoff? Even Blizzard said that Warcraft 1 was supposed to be a Warhemmer game in the first place.
    when they talk about other mmos being a ripoff of wow they are mostly talking about gameplay which even wow is technically a ripoff at that point since at the end of the day wow is pretty much an easy version of everquest
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    It still has a community.

In all of WoW's 10million players the game feels like being in NYC, and just as soulless. EQ2? I didn't even start the game alone, as soon as I stepped off the boat and got my first quest, had a player mentor by my side. Helped me with my first weapon and even crate, then stayed until I learned the mechanics (about 17 levels).

THAT'S a community.
    WoW doesn't have much of a community AT ALL.

One trip in LFD/LFR/BGs and it's seen vividly.
    Oh god...bias more plz.

As Cata demonstrated: WoW is but about instances now. So much Blizzard removed the conveniences of guild group travel to get players back into the world.
    See above.

You know, the more I keep seeing you stomping your feet and crying about WoW the more I realize that you simply are the stereotypical person who just cannot move on from something. You're so invested in your fantasy that Blizzard was going around personally deleting all of your criticisms on their forums (Still with no proof, by the way. Just throwing that out there) that you even claim it on your signature in a move that makes you almost look like a crazy person.

You don't like the game. We got it.

And we got it.

Get over it and move on. Holy hell, I feel like I've seen you on here for at least two years now spouting the exact same talking points. Doesn't it get tiring?

But wait! You still play the game? With all the stomping and crying? Seems like sadomasochism to me.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2012-12-24 at 06:58 AM.

Gawker sites used to be so much better. They are pretty garbage now.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Oh god...bias more plz.

See above.

You know, the more I keep seeing you stomping your feet and crying about WoW the more I realize that you simply are the stereotypical person who just move on from something. You're so invested in your fantasy that Blizzard was going around personally deleting all of your criticisms on their forums that you even claim it on your signature in an effort that makes you look like a crazy person.

You don't like the game. We got it.

And we got it.
    if wow didnt have much of a community then how are we all on mmo champion O-O

It is not a ripoff nor inspired in, it is a child or a spinoff.
    it was meant to be warhammer, but didnt get approved so had to change a bit.

Huge differences between those things

15+ Year Old Account
    In short, Warcraft is commercially successful mainstream Warhammer for kids. Same goes for Starcraft and W40k. Since I've started to explore W40k, I found out that it's bigger in every aspect, and has ten times more spirit. Zerg? They're just humane domesticated Tyranids. Mengsk? Would make a mediocre sergeant in Imperial Guard. Protoss? Uneducated Eldar at best. Ghosts? A snack for Officio Assassinorum. And never did Warcraft or Starcraft have the horror and atrocity close to that of Chaos.

It might have been in the beginning but it certainly isn't now. WoW has evolved into something else completely.

10+ Year Old Account
    id say its a "ripoff" or a "copy" of alot of things like the lich king and the look of icecrowns buildings and walls are very similiar to lotr