Poll: How enjoyable is your mage?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Was 10 while fire was playable. Now 1. I absolutely hate frost, arcane isn't terrible, but it leaves a lot to be desired. If the 5.2 patch notes are any indication of the direction they want to go with mages, I'll either reroll or quit.

6 or 7. Playing a mage is still fun, but our entire class has become boring and homogeneous. Spec identity is nonexistent. The only thing that really separates them is different colored particles.

Basically, it's still fun, but mages need the warlock treatment.

I gave a 4. I play my mage since vanilla and enjoyed it mostly. Some notes to the specs:

Fire:
    I really liked it until 5.1. The dmg was to high, nerf on combustion was ok, but the CM nerf just killed all the fun. Now it sucks. Its to much rng, sometimes during incanters ward you just dont bring in a single crit...well but thats how fire always was, rng. Now with CM nerf just way more.

Frost:
    Frost is most attractive to me atm, im considering to try it in PVE. Shame i put so much effort into fire gear. In PVP a frost mage is still kicking it hard, my burst dmg is sick (also other classes can do that). What i dont like in PVP is that some pure dps classes have sick selfhals while mages can be found at the bottom then also getting barrier nerf and apparently 5.2 also coldsnap healing cut to half (like yeah cool i have a 40-50k selfheal).

Arcane:
    I hate arcane. I have played arc before and never liked it a lot. From all specs and classes i have ever played its the worst thing i have ever experienced, besides maybe boomkin. If i would be forced to play arc in PVE id quit raiding and only play PVP.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    4. I still feel the level-90 talents are a complete chore that not only gets in the way of enjoying the raid encounters the way they're meant to be played, but also get in the way of the mage specs themselves sometimes.

Voted 2.
    The mage in Cataclysm for me was a lot more fun. Yes, fire was more RNG, but in some fight was fun like hell spreading combustion to ALL the target (i will never forget boss fights like Maloriak/Yor'sahj/Alysrazor ect......). Also, some retard nerf dont make me happy at all (when 5.2 will hits, i dont think will come again into 1 arena lol).
    Yes, also lvl 90 talents are shit, tbh.....

10+ Year Old Account
    2, because of the 90 talents. 1, because of the 90 talents plus the other ream of issues.

The only reason I'm sticking with my mage is because I have so much vanity crap on that toon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

8, I really enjoy my mage more than any other class and am loving the fact that finally all specs are viable for raiding, would be a 10 but for the 90 talents which still feel a bit off

10+ Year Old Account
    I gave it a 9. I've really enjoyed the versatility of the specs. I am able to swap between frost and arcane, I feel like I'm doing what I need to and keep the raid moving forward. I dont feel gimped, and I never really enjoyed fire THAT much that it had to be the ONE spec to play for me.
    Playing
    WildStar -Mechari Medic, Draken Stalker
    Diablo: RoS
    GW2 - Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Soulstrike View Post
    arcane right now is simply broken. Hatingthe whole unintended rotation about it :(
    there i fixed that for you
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmeh View Post
    You hear so much "sky is falling" talk on the mage forums because it actually is. When they nerf mages, they don't just tune down the spec. They drive a fucking stake through its heart.

Quote Originally Posted by lhehitman View Post
    there i fixed that for you
    you fixed my opinion you dislike??? wat is this >_>
    http://oce.op.gg/summoner/userName=dw+soul+roc in oceanic now Lol

5172-1206-0622 pokemon FC Lets Battle!!

Quote Originally Posted by lhehitman View Post
    hey I changed your post into something completely unrelated and incorrect because I think I'm much funnier than I am
    Wow I can do it too

6/10.

I can deal with being Frost for a good part of the expansion (until 5.2, mayhaps) despite having temptations to either switch back to Fire or go Arcane (the latter is an incredibly iffy affair because the spec feels like a bloated abomination to me as a whole, but whatever, maybe 5.2 will be somewhat different.) Other than that, no real grievances or large pangs of disappointment, just Blizzard's trusting number switcheroos as normal which has been standard to me for a long time. I happen to like Frost second only to Fire, even during the early tiers of Cataclysm trying it out when keeping 3 FFB dots was crucial, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulstrike View Post
    you fixed my opinion you dislike??? wat is this >_>
    lol nah of course you're entitled to your opinion but brilliant? >< come on now i would not call arcanes playstyle brilliant, maybe a prime example in ingenuity or cleverness but its current playstyle was never intended to be played that way and will be fixed because it is broken ><
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmeh View Post
    You hear so much "sky is falling" talk on the mage forums because it actually is. When they nerf mages, they don't just tune down the spec. They drive a fucking stake through its heart.

Not really liking the nerfs every patch, but you know how it goes. If things become much clunkier, I may reroll.

Gave a 6 bc I really don't like the tier 6 talents. Also, I am so tired of seeing nerf after nerf after nerf. Also, I would take a dps decrease if we got some kind of a buff to survivability. I have trouble doing dailies sometimes.

I just don't understand why blizzard won't listen to the mage community.

To put it in a more relative perspective, I enjoyed Mages a lot more in Cata than I did now, outside of the first couple months of T11 when we were lackluster DPS-wise.

10+ Year Old Account
    The final tier of talents is just pure shit. Other than that I like mages atm pve wise (which is very difficult to do considering your entire playstyle is determined by the last set of talents).
    Last edited by foxHeart; 2013-01-08 at 11:27 PM.
    Look! Words!

7/10 - Only that high because I'm enjoying frost in PvE. I use to PvP, but every single patch is a nerf to our CC and damage. I don't mind that, but there seriously needs some balancing to offset that.

The reason why mages have so much CC and damage is to offset our incredibly low surviviablilty. The reason why mages were able to live long was our damage and CC pre-nerfs. It's getting less and less enjoyable to play a mage in arena and BGs since a a number of classes can completely shut us down now, even with help of a very good peeler.

10+ Year Old Account
    If frost becomes the spec for PvE in 5.2 Than 10.

I gave it a 5. I honestly just can't stand the 90 talents. I enjoy arc and I can use the 90 talents appropriately, its just that they don't really add anything fun for me, rune of power is just an oh shit can only move so much in my tiny circle otherwise I'm gimping myself. Invocation is simply just another button to push it doesn't add an excitement factor to me. If it was a cool down it would because it would be a "cool damage bonus for X seconds, go go go" but instead its just something to make sure is up. To an extent that is how Rune feels too. I actually enjoy Incanter's Ward, it needs activated at the right time and while isn't really a cool down when you get a good pop of it and are sitting with a 30% bonus it feels pretty sweet imo.

The real kick in the pants for me was when GC said he feels mage design is fine atm, he likes how the specs feel. (it was a tweet somewhere). The specs are quite similar, except change the proc and how it happens, (add one for frost) and the main color for the spells. The entire mage class is based around keeping your mage bomb up, reacting to your proc(s) appropriately, and maintaining your 90 talent for the encounter. I like arc atm with scorch weaving because its different than the other two enough that its the spice of life lol. Maybe I'm just picky...
    Daft Punk Forever!