Poll: Do you mod?

Thread: Do you mod?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Do you mod?

So, call me naive, but I sort of just discovered modding for PC games. I mean, I knew things like level editors and re-textures existed, but had never really given the larger modding scene a lot of thought. Picked up the Mount and Blade series and found a bunch of mods that turned it into a Game of Thrones style game, Star Wars, Feudal Japan, American Revolution, etc. and it's almost like getting completely different games for free. Just curious if the mmo-champ community mods or not

Also, if you do mod, what games do you download mods for? Like I said, I just discovered them through Mount and Blade, saw some people talking about Dragon Age Origins mods, so I might give those a try, and perhaps Oblivion
    Last edited by Arcilux; 2012-12-24 at 08:01 PM.
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

10+ Year Old Account
    Only after I beat it or if it really sucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mod just about anything that can be modded.

Whether I play the game beforehand or not depends on the game. Some games like Arma2 I bought to play the DayZ mod, Ive never even played the real thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    yes but only after playing the game through once.

Yes, but I generally complete the game once before modding. Unless there are glaring issues with the original experience.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

As with others, I generally complete a game without mods to experience it as the designers and developers envisioned it. I have a lot of respect for the people who make games, so I guess it's a way of honoring their work aside from just the purchase. I will mod stuff if it really bothers me though, and after I've completed the game (or most of it) "vanilla", I'll explore mods and see what cool stuff other people have made.

I mod and don't pretty much game to game basis. Some require extensive modding to be enjoyable while others get extended lifetime thanks to them.

The most modded game of mine is NWN, which main game is stale and boring while many brilliant other stuff has been done with the easy-to-use toolset.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    I don't usually mod games, but when I do, it's just for the fun of it.

Deleted
    I don't think I could go back to playing skyrim without mods. Mod quality and availability tends to differ drasticly between titles, based on how open the developer is to letting the community do it. I do think that games that allow modding can be made all the more fun if you install the right combination of mods for you.

Games I enjoy modding include:

Skyrim
    Fallout 3
    Torchlight 1 and 2
    Dawn of war series
    Total war series

Deleted
    Very rarely and usually only things that improve how the game looks or fix some issues with it. Like better textures, increased difficulty, balance fixes, bug fixes etc.

I almost never add some random or silly things to games though. If it's not immersive, it's out.

No, because it's just not something I really care about. I wouldn't play the game in the first play through with mods, and after I beat a game once I usually don't care about it anymore.

Mods are awesome even though they can get a bit creepy. Poor Oblivion

Some games are insanely better modded such as Dark Souls & Skyrim, the former suffering from a somewhat poor port and the latter suffering from "open world" syndrome.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Deleted
    Yes, if there is a good modcommunity and its a longer game. Of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    I generaly wait until i beat the game once in out-of-the-box conditions, and then go nuts with modding.

WoW is the only game I've ever used a mod for.

I played Skyrim for a year and then I downloaded some mods for it. It changed up the game, freshened it up and made it fun again. The mods let you do the stuff you wanted to do in the game the first time around but couldn't. Or they let you personalize your game environment to suit your tastes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Make mods? Nah, play mods? To no end! I highly recommend, if it's one of "those games" to deafeat the game normally first before trying out all the mods (or atleast the main story, like Skyrim and stuff). I mainly mess around with mods that change the look of my character and how the game looks (ENB ftw). Games I currently mod are Skyrim, GTA IV, Scribblenauts (if SteamWorkshop counts), that's about it, nothing else I own atm has, or needs mods.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcilux View Post
    So, call me naive, but I sort of just discovered modding for PC games. I mean, I knew things like level editors and re-textures existed, but had never really given the larger modding scene a lot of thought. Picked up the Mount and Blade series and found a bunch of mods that turned it into a Game of Thrones style game, Star Wars, Feudal Japan, American Revolution, etc. and it's almost like getting completely different games for free. Just curious if the mmo-champ community mods or not

Also, if you do mod, what games do you download mods for? Like I said, I just discovered them through Mount and Blade, saw some people talking about Dragon Age Origins mods, so I might give those a try, and perhaps Oblivion
    I generally mod games before even finishing the vanilla game. I might play a couple hours of vanilla so I have some context.

Modding is one of the strongest reasons to go for PCs over consoles, and most intelligent developers (read: not EA, not Activision-Blizzard) embrace and encourage it. Hell, some (lazy) developers like Bethesda pretty much base their company around it.

Sky's the limit with modding, really. Depending on quality of tools you can have simple rules or difficulty tweaks, added or adjusted content, and all the way to complete, total conversions, where it's a completely different game for all intents and purposes - Unreal Tournament 2004 is a perfect example of what modders can do when the developer gives them the tools they need. Alien Swarm and Killing Floor both started as UT2k4 mods, and UT2k4 also birthed a somewhat crappy Counter-Strike clone, too. None of these mods had anything to do with vanilla UT2k4, except using the same engine.

Diablo II had numerous mods that added enormous amounts of content and re-tuned the game, and a few mods like MedianXL are still active today.

ANY Bethesda game will have enormous modding communities since PC gamers are pretty aware of how fucking terrible Bethesda games are without modding. Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Skyrim have enormous and highly dedicated modding communities. Fallout New Vegas has a fairly small, somewhat inactive community (probably due to Skyrim going live shortly after FNV in the scheme of things), but the remaining active modders are very good at what they do.

Minecraft is another game that really isn't very good on its own, but becomes very fun and engaging with modding. If you have Minecraft, I'd recommend you check out Thaumcraft 3 and Better Than Wolves, though you can check Fuzzzie's thread in the Minecraft section for more ideas.

Honestly, you could write books on how many great mods there are for games. Seriously, modding is the lifeblood of gaming. Embrace it. Play games as they were meant to be played, not as they were forced out of development by an impatient publisher.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    Did with Skyrim before i beat the whole game, but was mostly texture mods, with other games it happens once i have beaten it fully.

Usually I've finished the game before mods even start popping up but I generally go for the texture mods asap and leave the game mechanic ones till I've fully gone through the game.