Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Only if you get caught.
    Well if he's dumb enough to sell stuff that didn't belong to him, do you really think he'll be able to pull that off?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    do you really want to have him risk prison?
    As I said, it is too late now. If you don't plan ahead and have multiple backup plans you deserve to get punished.

You tried to game the system, and it bit you in the ass.

Better luck next time.

If they're $1500 TVs they'll probably make more by renting them out again than they will just taking what you owe. I'd also be surprised if in the contract you signed there isn't something akin to "these remain the property of Rent-a-Center, don't sell this shit."

There's not really any gray area here. Gonna have to man up and take your punishment.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

Get a lawyer, obviously.

These guys have to obey the same rules as collection callers. If they are making threats like that or breaking the other debt collections law, you can sue them

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Auloria View Post
    Get a lawyer, obviously.

These guys have to obey the same rules as collection callers. If they are making threats like that or breaking the other debt collections law, you can sue them
    He sold 2 TVs he did not legally own, the less he keeps the law out of this the better I think.

10+ Year Old Account
    You sold something you didn't even own.... yeah, you're going to get in a bit of trouble over this, especially considering the value. at $1500, I'm pretty sure you are over the value limit of it just being a misdemeanor.

My best advice, don't drop the soap!!
    Let's make America GREAT again. Trump 2016.

The community whined and bitched and cried, they stamped their little feet and demanded faster expansion releases. They don't get to complain now that expansions are shorter.

Talking to a lawyer is, as many have said, your best bet at this point.

He didnt steal anything, this was a contract violation. Civil matter, nothing criminal. You can also argue replacement cost since those tv's can be bought for $800.

I'd definitely seek a lawyer, based on my unprofessional knowledge you're looking at potential civil actions as well as a grand larceny charge, should they choose to file a criminal complaint.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

10+ Year Old Account
    He sold 2 TVs he did not legally own, the less he keeps the law out of this the better I think.
    yes lets make a bad situation worse.

Deleted
    yes lets make a bad situation worse.
    Sure, admitting to planning this crime will go well for him....

I seriously doubt anyone in this thread claiming "Go get a lawyer, quick!" has ever dealt with a lawyer. They'll take your money, promise you anything you want to hear, do as little work as possible, and offer you up to the stake the first chance they get. I've had plenty of dealings with lawyers in my life, and this has been the case 100% of the time. You might get VERY lucky and find a GOOD lawyer who will work for you and help you out, but I seriously doubt it.

If you offer to pay them the money for the TV's, it's not a criminal issue. They can't take you to jail. Period. And you don't need a lawyer.

Offer to pay for the TV's, tell them you need time if you need it. The worst thing that can happen is that they take you to civil / small claims court and you have to pay the value of the TV's. Anyone else saying anything else has no idea what they're talking about. "LoL you did bad thing and sold something that wasn't yours, you goin' to jail!" - wrong.

Don't tell them you sold the TVs. You don't need to tell them anything, at all. This is not a felony.
    Last edited by Daerio; 2012-12-26 at 01:40 AM.

Hypothetically, even if they took you to court do you really think a jury would convict you based on what you did for your mother (rip)? Even the judge would throw this out, then factor in the bad pub for what they are doing, no chance in hell.

Its not criminal, only child support will get you tossed in the slammer for owing money.

Best of luck, holidays can be tough at times

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Hypothetically, even if they took you to court do you really think a jury would convict you based on what you did for your mother (rip)? Even the judge would throw this out, then factor in the bad pub for what they are doing, no chance in hell.

Its not criminal, only child support will get you tossed in the slammer for owing money.

Since when was going after the guy who stole your stuff, bad publicity? It's not criminal? Selling something you rented without permission is not criminal? It will be nothing short of a small miracle if you come out of this completely unscathed. You better be able to accept the consequences.

Now that aside, I would read the terms of service or agreement or whatever you signed and see what the contract says about not being able to return items. See if there's any language in there about alternate payment options if you can't return the borrowed items. If there is, then you can take them to small claims court for refusing to accept payment, probably.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Anias View Post
    First off step back and take a deep breath. Ok now that you are calmed down some, lets look at what has happened. You rented 2 tvs from a rent-to-own center. The premise of that is that you make payments until you pay the set amount and then you own the tvs. Use this as an example. John goes to the car lot to buy a car. John has to pay on the car for four years. After two years John understands that he can not make the payment anymore. So John sells the car to Bob. Bob pays John the amount that is still owed for the car. John then goes to the bank and says here is the money I owe you for the car. The bank CAN'T then say no we don't want your money, we want the car. Also here is something else i found that may make you feel better:

http://rent-a-center.pissedconsumer....018203158.html
    i worked for rent a center and i know first hand of their bullying scare tactics and over all shiester buisness practices. let me put your mind to ease if you are being harrassed for non payment of your items
    1) if you fail to pay they can not come to your home and demand payment.
    2)they can not enter your home and seize the items.
    3)they can not wait outside your residance to confront you about payment.
    4)they can not call your referances and enquire about you for non payment
    5) you are not required to give them the items back.
    6)they must stay away from you and your home and freinds. if they want the items back by law they are to leave you alone and file a small claims action for the items. this process can take up to 6 months or more. in the mean time the items depriciate in value. you do not have to attend the small claims hearing. what will happen is the judge will dissmiss their case against you and inform them that like a credit card this is a credit issue and they need to put it against your credit rateing. if they are doing any of the things i mentioned in 1-5 you can call the police and tell them they are harrasing you and/or scareing you your family and freinds. also, BIG NO NO RENT A CENTER CAN NOT CALL YOUR WORK FOR YOUR NON PAYMENT!
    So bascially what your saying is that it should be okay to sell something that you don't own, and share loopholes in how to skirt the contract?

Heres how i see it.

You entered into a contract knowingly.

You agreed to pay X$ a month for Y items that belonged to someone else.

You sold Y that did not belong to you.

You are a thief.

The reasons you sold the items are irrelevant. They were not yours to sell.

Also anias....your analogy is incorrect.

Ultimately the BANK owns the car untill you have paid back the loan and the title is transfered. You do not have the right to sell the car to anyone.

Ive seen someone do this..and....go to jail. Of course he was stupid and did that while owing 18k on a car without making a single payment.

Either way, id get a lawyer.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're looking at a misdemeanor, tops. If Rent-A-Center were actually to take you to court, the only thing they would be suing you for would be the money owed/value of the TVs, and the court costs.

10+ Year Old Account
    do you really want to have him risk prison?
    Isn't he already?

Moral of this story is, don't sell things you don't own. Also they did not ruin your xmas OP, you did.

You're looking at a misdemeanor, tops. If Rent-A-Center were actually to take you to court, the only thing they would be suing you for would be the money owed/value of the TVs, and the court costs.
    He said 2 tvs with a retail value of around $1,500 which is 3 grand. Which is a felony.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anias View Post
    First off step back and take a deep breath. Ok now that you are calmed down some, lets look at what has happened. You rented 2 tvs from a rent-to-own center. The premise of that is that you make payments until you pay the set amount and then you own the tvs. Use this as an example. John goes to the car lot to buy a car. John has to pay on the car for four years. After two years John understands that he can not make the payment anymore. So John sells the car to Bob. Bob pays John the amount that is still owed for the car. John then goes to the bank and says here is the money I owe you for the car. The bank CAN'T then say no we don't want your money, we want the car. Also here is something else i found that may make you feel better:

http://rent-a-center.pissedconsumer....018203158.html
    i worked for rent a center and i know first hand of their bullying scare tactics and over all shiester buisness practices. let me put your mind to ease if you are being harrassed for non payment of your items
    1) if you fail to pay they can not come to your home and demand payment.
    2)they can not enter your home and seize the items.
    3)they can not wait outside your residance to confront you about payment.
    4)they can not call your referances and enquire about you for non payment
    5) you are not required to give them the items back.
    6)they must stay away from you and your home and freinds. if they want the items back by law they are to leave you alone and file a small claims action for the items. this process can take up to 6 months or more. in the mean time the items depriciate in value. you do not have to attend the small claims hearing. what will happen is the judge will dissmiss their case against you and inform them that like a credit card this is a credit issue and they need to put it against your credit rateing. if they are doing any of the things i mentioned in 1-5 you can call the police and tell them they are harrasing you and/or scareing you your family and freinds. also, BIG NO NO RENT A CENTER CAN NOT CALL YOUR WORK FOR YOUR NON PAYMENT!
    This is exactly what I was going to mention. I've know someone who did something similar in your case and never gave back the merchandise. He can never rent from RAC ever again and it was pinned against his already shitty credit.
    "I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints." --Billy Joel

"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy". They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” --John Lennon

Sure, admitting to planning this crime will go well for him....
    You really aren't thinking, are you? Why the hell would he need to admit to his crime in order to use the law to defend himself threats and calls?
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post

Ignorance of case law.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can only say that you get the paperwork you should've received when you first rented the T.V's to see where you stand legally. If you don't have it then request it again. If they refuse to provide it then see a lawyer. Any answer you get here will be pretty useless because key facts (like the policy of the rental company, what you agreed to, etc) aren't in the OP.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!