Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thatcrazypenguin View Post
    regarding mailing of heirlooms to other realms the blue response is basically `unlikely it'll be implemented during Mists of Pandaria as there're numerous technical hurdles that need to be overcome first in order to happen.`

How many more things are they going to blame `numerous technical hurdles` as the reason not to do, it seems like its getting like a standard blizzard response to many things, I mean are their staff poorly skilled and trained or something? because it seems to me theres a hell of a lot they blame on `technical hurdles`.....the solution would be to get people who know what they are doing more on the technical side surly? unless such a response is just put out as a `fob you off` excuse as I rather suspect it is.
    My one question:

Are you a programmer or coder at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Thyranne View Post
    I'd like to say a few things to you but I'd get infracted.

It doesn't matter if it isn't Blizzard's code. That code shows exactly how WoW works. It doesn't matter if it was made by me, you, your dog, my neighbor, Kim Jong Un.

It is how WoW works. Did you understand or you want me to slow down (I'm almost stopping)?
    In programming it makes a very large difference. And no, an emulator does not show "How WoW Works". It shows a method that is successful in reproducing an end result. The end result is not the only thing that matters. The exact process used to get that result also is important, especially when designing a new feature that has to be implemented around existing code. There is no guarantee, and in fact is highly unlikely, that an emulator accomplishes the same tasks in the exact same manner as the official servers. And thus emulators/private servers cannot be used as a basis of comparison when discussing how difficult something would or would not be to implement.
    I found I enjoyed the game significantly more when I stopped paying attention to all the people on the forums telling me how much I am supposed to hate it
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.

Quote Originally Posted by Banzhe View Post
    I hereby lay claim to being the NR1 code writer in the world, blizzard doest know wtF they are doing.,..,.,...,,.,;... DEM have ulterior purposes n hiddan agenda, dem sayin they hav theier own engine dont mean shit, I know aight, fuck dem

Added bad grammer and inappropriate caps to mimic the standard person on mmo claiming to have any insight into the develop of wow, and it's engine..., this being just another one in that segment.

Umad brah -.^
    Yes, imagine that! MMO developers have an agenda besides technical hurdles. While I worked on one, our creative director requested quite the number of changes to inconvenience players and force them to use micro-transactions because (damn, I feel like it is really day of revelations today!) he wanted money in his pocket, not player's comfort.
    Last edited by rowaasr13; 2012-12-26 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Aah yes, they already have the technology and could implement it within a week but they don't want to do it because they love to annoy players and have meaningless discussions on their forum.

That's what I understand if I have to believe some people on here.
    Sadly, right is what appears to be happening. Just to show customers they are not puppets under our strings, they refuse to do some things. There is no known issues, and the way they avoid to address the technical difficulties, well... They even avoid to tell the have KNOWN technical difficulties, their own speech implies they only BELIEVE they exist, but they don't really know ANY REAL OBSTACLE.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurbz View Post
    In programming it makes a very large difference. And no, an emulator does not show "How WoW Works". It shows a method that is successful in reproducing an end result. The end result is not the only thing that matters. The exact process used to get that result also is important, especially when designing a new feature. There is no guarantee, and in fact is highly unlikely, that an emulator accomplishes the same tasks in the exact same manner as the official servers. And thus emulators/private servers cannot be used as a basis of comparison when discussing how difficult something would or would not be to implement.
    Of course it can. Arcemu is completly stable. They already implemented most (if not all) things that had (for that version).

Are they different? Of course they are. Are they that different that we can't compare them? No.

some people are really so naive, they will believe everything...I can have character with 200 items on him in his bags and his bank, tons of information (achievements, currencies,e.t.c) and I can tranfer him to another server in 5 minutes, with the correct price of course...A whole guild can change server now and some people really believe that there are technical reasons for a single item to go to another server...

even if I accept that they cannot transfer it. I will be so naive to accept it, I cannot send mail with my heirlooms to other server. There are not other ways to use heirlooms in other server? For example couldn't blizzard add the information to my battle.net account that I have "unlocked" the heirloom leather chest and so I can go to the vendor and purchase it for a small fee for example?Are there no other solution to use heirlooms in other servers that I have already purchased on one server?

Do you really cannot understand the reason they don't want to do this??
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

It's just an easy way to shut people up. "Technical issues yada yada" Most people will accept that, since they don't have a clue how games are made.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurbz View Post
    Why is it so hard to get through your head that they DO have access to something that anyone else lacks the ability to understand.
    Because through my life I worked in numerous complex highload realtime projects and have pratical confirmation that it takes month at most to get into things in pretty much any scale of project?

Ok, let's for a moment assume that they're reall IQ 999 wizards that us, mere mortals, have no hope to ever understand. Now one of them dies and what? Oh, Blizzard suffered nonrecoverable loss and there are NOBODY IN ENTIRE WORLD to replace lost genius and continue working on WoW!

Get real.

But unless you work for Blizzard you would have no idea how it would have to hook into existing code systems
    NO, FUCKING NO! Unless you're completely stupid, you can figure any programmed system out there. Any competent programmer will tell you so.

I'm tired of how general populace looks on programs as on rituals. You have to be blessed by cult leader and only then this ritual works in your hands. No, fucking no again. Programming is not magic. You CAN understand it.

As it requires them to alter how the mail system in game works, which is a very fundamental part of the game code (much like our backpack), it's a case of something seeming very simple when it is, in fact, not at all simple to change or alter without completely fucking up something important.

For all we know, changing the mail system could completely break something as simple as, say... the current automated system where you have items that you should've won (but missed due to disconnection or something) automatically mailed to you. And of course that's just an example of something that relies directly on the in-game mail, there could be quite a few other things piggybacking on it.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2012-12-26 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    As it requires them to alter how the mail system in game works, which is a very fundamental part of the game code (much like our backpack), it's a case of something seeming very simple when it is, in fact, not at all simple to change or alter without completely fucking up something important.
    Or make an account wide bank and store the information in the same place where they store achievements/mounts/pets.

Quote Originally Posted by thatcrazypenguin View Post
    regarding mailing of heirlooms to other realms the blue response is basically `unlikely it'll be implemented during Mists of Pandaria as there're numerous technical hurdles that need to be overcome first in order to happen.`

How many more things are they going to blame `numerous technical hurdles` as the reason not to do, it seems like its getting like a standard blizzard response to many things, I mean are their staff poorly skilled and trained or something? because it seems to me theres a hell of a lot they blame on `technical hurdles`.....the solution would be to get people who know what they are doing more on the technical side surly? unless such a response is just put out as a `fob you off` excuse as I rather suspect it is.
    Technical hurdles means its currently impossible. You would need to rewrite the mail system and redesign UI. Which is not outside blizzards ability, but it isn't trivial either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

Whew... another mantra chanter.

No it's relatively easy (as in "takes realistic time of 2-4 weeks to develop"). Over years they added much more complex things and yanked out "fundamental and here since classic" parts like keyrings without stuff blowing up in your face.

Personally I am glad they are making this such a low priority. I'd much rather be dazzled with more to do at max level than to get there a few days sooner with my alts.
    Last edited by Magpai; 2012-12-26 at 06:09 PM. Reason: their ---> there

Quote Originally Posted by gamingmuscle View Post
    Technical hurdles means its currently impossible. You would need to rewrite the mail system and redesign UI. Which is not outside blizzards ability, but it isn't trivial either.
    No, you don't even need to redesign UI. Just use same syntax of Char-server you can currently use in chat in mail "to" field and that was all over the game since first cross realm BGs years ago. There, I've just completed UI solution for you.

Deleted
    @Op : I think Blizzard now is all about the money.
    And I don't think cross realm heirloom would bring them much of it.
    So they're probably pulling this as an excuse.
    If you want a developer that's really caring about its games, you should look somewhere else (not that there are many like that anyway, videogames are a full fledged industry now )

the thing is that mailbox isn't the only way to transfer something to another server. It is a virtual item, a code line in a file. Maybe sending it via mailbox has technical difficulties but I doubt people are concerned about the way they can use them on other servers. Why there is so much discussion about the mailing system specifically when there are 1000 different ways to go around this and people have lot of good ideas.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Or make an account wide bank and store the information in the same place where they store achievements/mounts/pets.
    I suspect that ultimately, a special bank for bind-on-account items may be the simpler solution in the long run. While it's not so simple as you put it I'm sure, chances are it's still simpler than changing one of those really ancient features.

WoW is like a really old European (or perhaps Middle Eastern) city, with the new streets and buildings all being built on top of the old stuff, over and over and over again. You've got so much new code that is running dependent on much, much older code.

Quote Originally Posted by rowaasr13 View Post
    NO, FUCKING NO! Unless you're completely stupid, you can figure any programmed system out there. Any competent programmer will tell you so.

I'm tired of how general populace looks on programs as on rituals. You have to be blessed by cult leader and only then this ritual works in your hands. No, fucking no again. Programming is not magic. You CAN understand it.
    Shut up, Rowaasr13, can't you understand that WoW have a MAGIC code, that is not like any code in the world? Of course that being a magic it's not even binary, and their server works on unicorn power.

If you're too dull understand that Blizzard made something out of their butts that is beyond the comprehension of simple earthling programmers, you can not be helped.

Just kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    the thing is that mailbox isn't the only way to transfer something to another server. It is a virtual item, a code line in a file. Maybe sending it via mailbox has technical difficulties but I doubt people are concerned about the way they can use them on other servers. Why there is so much discussion about the mailing system specifically when there are 1000 different ways to go around this and people have lot of good ideas.
    Oh no, for sure. I agreed with Thyranne that a new, dedicated system involving BoA items would probably make a lot more sense in the long run than trying to change the mail.

That isn't trivial either, and doesn't solve all the hurdles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps