Page 1 of 17
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Parents of Sandy Hook Survivor File a $100 Million Claim

http://news.yahoo.com/claim-seeks-10...003646074.html

(Reuters) - A $100 million claim on behalf of a 6-year-old survivor is the first legal action to come out of the Connecticut school shooting that left 26 children and adults dead two weeks ago....

...Pinsky's claim said that the state Board of Education, Department of Education and Education Commissioner had failed to take appropriate steps to protect children from "foreseeable harm."

It said they had failed to provide a "safe school setting" or design "an effective student safety emergency response plan and protocol."
    How do you feel about this? Do the parents of a surviving child have the right to essentially sue the state for $100 million for failing to protect their children from "foreseeable harm."
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/claim-seeks-10...003646074.html

How do you feel about this? Do the parents of a surviving child have the right to essentially sue the state for $100 million for failing to protect their children from "foreseeable harm."
    Absolutely disgusting act. Let's make an entire school system suffer because of something that individual schools have absolutely no control over. The prosecutor would also have to define "Foreseeable harm" and identify specific failings by the school system itself.

Deleted
    Sure. If you hand out Guns to everyone be ready to pay if something happens

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    sue the state for $100 million for failing to protect their children from "foreseeable harm."
    To sue for failing to protect against "foreseeable harm"? Of course. If the school took children out to a construction site and one of them fell down a chute, clearly they have neglected their duties to safeguard the children.

The question is whether it was actually foreseeable. In this case, feels like way more than a little bit of stretch.
    Last edited by semaphore; 2012-12-29 at 04:09 PM.

Deleted
    Foreseeable harm ? So now these shootings are to be considered common occurences ?

Deleted
    I'll care about it if they win the case.
    Ppl have "right to sue" everything for anything so it's not a big deal atm.

Deleted
    It was just as foreseeable for the parents, yet they decided to send their children into the school anyway. If the school should've known there could be a shooting at the school, so should the parents.

Baseless claim.

10+ Year Old Account
    Edinburgh, Scotland. You know, that place with the castle.
    This does seem to be a horribly cynical attempt by this parent to cash in on a terrible tragedy - I mean really...100 MILLION dollars? Could you make it any more obvious?

How was it foreseeable either? Foreseeable because nowadays these shootings seem to happen every other week in the US?

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems ridiculous

If a school shooting becomes foreseeable harm then something is wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Absolutely disgusting act. Let's make an entire school system suffer because of something that individual schools have absolutely no control over. The prosecutor would also have to define "Foreseeable harm" and identify specific failings by the school system itself.
    I agree. Absolutely disgusting. I mean these parents are lucky enough to have a children survive one of the worst school shootings in history.

And claiming that the school didn't develop "an effective student safety emergency response plan and protocol," is completely false. From everything I have read, it seems like the lock down procedure almost all the teachers deployed saved a lot of lives that day. It certainly saved the life of the child of these parents.

10+ Year Old Account
    When are we going to make frivolous lawsuits a felony? I'm getting really sick of everyone thinking that our legal system exists just so they can steal money from other people.

America is the only country where people feel entitled to sue everyone for everything. Get over it, the event was unforeseen and quite frankly, unpreventable. The states need to do a better job with control of deadly weapons.

Deleted
    I wouldn't say it's the fault of the education system (except perhaps not giving the killer proper mental health attention while he was in their care), I'd say its more the fault of the Lanza family for allowing their son, with known mental health problems, to access an assault rifle with apparent ease, the state or States generally for maybe not providing adequate, accessible and affordable mental healthcare so as to perhaps curb or subdue Lanza's violent impulses and not doing thorough enough screening before allowing people to possess powerful projectile weaponry.

Deleted
    There's a special place in Hell for these kind of people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    There's a special place in Hell for these kind of people.
    That's a bit drastic..

These parents just don't know what to do after losing their children. Tbh, I am surprised it took them this long to actually blame/sue someone.

I guess this kinda expected. :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    That's a bit drastic..

These parents just don't know what to do after losing their children. Tbh, I am surprised it took them this long to actually blame/sue someone.

I guess this kinda expected. :/
    Actually, they're the parents of a child who survived... so I don't understand where this is coming from.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    That's a bit drastic..

These parents just don't know what to do after losing their children.
    The thing is, they didn't lose their child. Their child survived, and they are suing on his behalf.

Though I agree it probably is to be expected. People using tragedy for financial gain. Seems to be popular these days.

Such as the woman who claimed to be an aunt of a Sandy Hook victim in order to collect donations. http://wgntv.com/2012/12/28/woman-ar...k-victim-scam/
    Last edited by Deadvolcanoes; 2012-12-29 at 04:25 PM.

Deleted
    Greedy bastards in my opinion, taking away money that can be used to help the families of those who actually lost children.

10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely ridiculous.