Thinking about fully quitting my job

So I used to work about 14-17 hours a day pretty much seven days a week. I made a good living; however, I couldn't stand working that much. So I now work significantly less and don't make as much money of course. I won't be fired because I am good, but I think it's time for me to just get a normal job. My boss, looks down on people with jobs and when there some a guy who was getting a part time job he was fired for it. I don't like that type of thing, seems ridiculous.

15+ Year Old Account
    I actually don't get the last sentence. Are you saying someone got fired for having a part-time job at your workplace? Or because he had a part-time job on the side?

With that said, 14-17 hours sounds ridiculous. Shouldn't work more than 8 hours a day tops :P

what do you mean "my boss, looks down on people with jobs"?
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    I actually don't get the last sentence. Are you saying someone got fired for having a part-time job at your workplace? Or because he had a part-time job on the side?

With that said, 14-17 hours sounds ridiculous. Shouldn't work more than 8 hours a day tops :P
    I have (or rather had) a lot of clients that were in other countries so to make sure I got the time to work with them, I would be up at odd hours working on their business plans and numbers.

Yes they got fired because they had a part time job on the side. Not because they couldn't do their work (They did all their work still) but because boss looks down on people who work normal jobs.

---------- Post added 2012-12-27 at 05:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by herpecin View Post
    what do you mean "my boss, looks down on people with jobs"?
    Looks down on people with "normal jobs" and especially jobs outside of banking and finance.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    So I used to work about 14-17 hours a day pretty much seven days a week. I made a good living; however, I couldn't stand working that much. So I now work significantly less and don't make as much money of course. I won't be fired because I am good, but I think it's time for me to just get a normal job. My boss, looks down on people with jobs and when there some a guy who was getting a part time job he was fired for it. I don't like that type of thing, seems ridiculous.
    I'm fairly certain that your boss broke the law for firing somebody for having another job. Maybe they could be let go for not being able to be scheduled certain hours, but firing them for having another job? Pretty sure that's illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    I'm fairly certain that your boss broke the law for firing somebody for having another job. Maybe they could be let go for not being able to be scheduled certain hours, but firing them for having another job? Pretty sure that's illegal.
    Could be. He got quite loud and was all "How do you even sleep at night?" He has this whole thing were everyone is suppose to be super ambition about working there and for anyone who isn't well... too bad pretty much.

The thing is it's almost all commission. Depending on the size of your clients project it can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months for everything to be finalized so for someone who is new, that's just weeks to months with very little money.

Deleted
    To be honest, I'm surprised you're still there. Working that many hours a day is illegal, at least it is here in the UK, and sacking someone for having a part time job is pretty much a nono too. Your boss sounds like a complete douche, but I recommended looking for a job elsewhere before you leave. That's the biggest problem a lot of people are making at the moment - leaving their current job to find they can't get another.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigzi View Post
    To be honest, I'm surprised you're still there. Working that many hours a day is illegal, at least it is here in the UK, and sacking someone for having a part time job is pretty much a nono too. Your boss sounds like a complete douche, but I recommended looking for a job elsewhere before you leave. That's the biggest problem a lot of people are making at the moment - leaving their current job to find they can't get another.
    Oh I don't work that much now, probably 10 hours a week now. I have an okay client base and some small projects that generate well... small amounts of money lol. I've been looking for like 2 months, nothing yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    If he lives in a right to work state, he can fire his employees for any reason he wants as long as it's not for discrimination against a protected category. Having another job is not a protected category.

I would move on. No point working there if you don't enjoy it and sounds like the risk of loosing your job is high.

I'm really curious as to how much money you were making at that 14-17 hour place.

Move on I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I'm really curious as to how much money you were making at that 14-17 hour place.

Move on I guess.
    I made just under 100k off a few clients, the bulk of my commission was from one project though. I wasn't that lucky again an when I came close to getting that lucky (200-300k commission) my client (a banker) got into a big argument with the lending officer which went on for too long and ended with my client having too big of an ego and getting nowhere in the end. After that I was quite annoyed. I put 3 months and so many damn hours into that project, which went nowhere. Which is why I cut down my hours significantly. Before that debacle I had a month worth of work pretty much stolen by my client who went to another company WITH MY work I did for him.
    Last edited by Themius; 2012-12-27 at 11:43 PM.

How old are you?

Work all you can when you can, save money pay for things and secure money for the future. Get all your bills payed for, pay off your house, build up for retirement while you can.

I worked hard and made good money, later I fell on hard times what I had saved up really helped and then I used some of that savings to get the business I have now up and going.

Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    How old are you?

Work all you can when you can, save money pay for things and secure money for the future. Get all your bills payed for, pay off your house, build up for retirement while you can.

I worked hard and made good money, later I fell on hard times what I had saved up really helped and then I used some of that savings to get the business I have now up and going.
    I did fall on hard times actually. Ended up homeless paying almost 4-5k a month for a hotel+travel+food. I was well skint. Since I get paid whenever things are finanalized which takes weeks to months. It was very hard saving up to actually move.