Is my power supply enough?

Hey guys really quick question im planning some upgrades and wanted to know If my power supply will cut it or if i need to upgrade that as well.

right now im running a sapphire 7950, my set up is a corsair 200r with a GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 MB and a FX-8150 no OC. I'm running into a little more cash then I thought I had, and I got this 7950 about a month ago I'm loving it a lot so was planning on putting the money down on a second for crossfire. My only problem is my PSU. I'm running this all off a Antec EarthWatts 650w 80+ bronze. This PSU has done me well for the last couple years but im worried it might not be enough. The sapphire 7950s are credited for being for low power consumption but im still worried. Each 7950 requires 2 6 pins which is all the PSU has, but has enough 4 pin molexes for me to adapt to an additional 2 six pins. I dont mind going with adapters if itll save me the cash on a new powersupply. and sorry for the length of this post and your responses are appreciated.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would honestly advise getting a better CPU seeing as the FX 8150 is quite bad in comparison to even the FX 8350 or an Intel.

15+ Year Old Account
    From AMD's site

• 500W (or greater) power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors recommended
    • 750W (or greater) power supply with four 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors recommended for AMD CrossFire™ technology

Your 650w is more than enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    I would honestly advise getting a better CPU seeing as the FX 8150 is quite bad in comparison to even the FX 8350 or an Intel.
    why do people feel the need to say this in every thread?

I was going to upgrade at some point actually but right now im just worried about my graphics cards. Switching to a new mother board and an intel processor are still a little ways down the road for me XD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by theroflcopta View Post
    I was going to upgrade at some point actually but right now im just worried about my graphics cards. Switching to a new mother board and an intel processor are still a little ways down the road for me XD
    Should be more worried about your CPU, it's slower than AMD's previous Phenom II X4's in most everything :P

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I'm aware, the 7950 only draws about 150w. So 300 + 150 for CPU/Mobo/other stuff. You ought to be fine in that regard.

---------- Post added 2012-12-29 at 07:40 PM ----------

Because usually upgrading from some AMD FX CPU has better performance benefits than upgrading a video card.

Also, I know TDP doesnt necessarily mean how much power a CPU will draw, but those things are similar to an extent. If AMD cpus have 125w TDP, and Intel ones have 75w TDP... Doesn't that pretty much imply that Intel CPU's will draw less power at load? By a notable amount?
    Last edited by chazus; 2012-12-30 at 03:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alski View Post
    From AMD's site

• 500W (or greater) power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors recommended
    • 750W (or greater) power supply with four 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors recommended for AMD CrossFire™ technology

Your 650w is more than enough.

If you actually read his post he is thinking about going crossfire. While 650w may be enough for two 7950's, your PSU does not have 4 pci-e connectors and you would have to use adapters, which i would not recommend. Try and sell your PSU on craigslist or something and get a 750w with 4 pci-e connectors, if only for a clean look in your PC.

I suggest this PSU, 90 bucks after rebate with 7 year warranty:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817703027

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    snip
    Derp, so he did. I retract what i said earlier :P

for cross fire get 850w or more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lalangamena View Post
    for cross fire get 850w or more.
    Why? Not only have several people stated its not needed, but there is actual proof that its not needed too.