Page 1 of 2
LastLast

There should be proper LOTR mmo

Now I don't want to say that lotr mmo sucks, I just feel that there should a new game with very good graphic(like crytec 3 engine) and it should be really epic. It should also introduce new gameplay style(something like in Tera maybe), gore, blood, new really huge battles(like in movies) , world pvp, maybe even free loot. What do you guys think?

Deleted
    I would love one if it was well-developed, and not just a game quickly put together to make money off of (like the current one is).
    I don't see it happening though.

Quote Originally Posted by Malderon View Post
    Now I don't want to say that lotr mmo sucks, I just feel that there should a new game with very good graphic(like crytec 3 engine) and it should be really epic. It should also introduce new gameplay style(something like in Tera maybe), gore, blood, new really huge battles(like in movies) , world pvp, maybe even free loot. What do you guys think?
    MMOs don't run on crytec 3 because it would largely reduce the amount of players able to play. I agree though I played the LOTR mmo and the combat just isn't as fluid as wow so I could not get into it. You don't need amazing graphics to make a mmo (IMO) GW2 is beautiful for the art style they used and it isn't that demanding. Although another LOTR would not happen with the current one able to stay afloat plus new mmos are new expensive and a huge risk. (SWTOR)

Deleted
    LOTRO is not that bad, it's hard to get into since almost everyone has played WoW and it kinda feels different, but that's pretty much it.

Still a new LOTR MMO would be awesome now with the Hobbit saga on its way.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate lotr(a serious lack of magic/ magic users/ wizards that know how to cast single spells) so wouldn't like another one on the market as well -.-

LOTRO is amazing game and I don't really see necessity for another while it's going strong.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

agreed would love to see a proper one done

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    I hate lotr(a serious lack of magic/ magic users/ wizards that know how to cast single spells) so wouldn't like another one on the market as well -.-
    That could be fixed by just making the game take place in Middle Earth but maybe 100 years after the events that happened in the books. Magic is possible in the universe, it's just kind of rare, which is good, I think, but if they do it in the "future", it would leave everything open for the developers to get a little more creative and add unknown stories. Gandalf could cast lightning bolts and other spells and Saruman was a proper mage too. They could just make it that after Sauron was dead and gone, more of those mages came from behind the sea (not as legendary but playable) or that the blue wizards started their school of witchcraft and wizardry or some such

OT: I agree with the OP. The current LotR game is not exactly bad. I can't really find anything thats really wrong with it, except maybe the lack of PvP. But it's just soooo dull and boring. The story isn't bad but the gameplay feels drawn out and pointless.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewarior View Post
    MMOs don't run on crytec 3 because it would largely reduce the amount of players able to play. I agree though I played the LOTR mmo and the combat just isn't as fluid as wow so I could not get into it. You don't need amazing graphics to make a mmo (IMO) GW2 is beautiful for the art style they used and it isn't that demanding. Although another LOTR would not happen with the current one able to stay afloat plus new mmos are new expensive and a huge risk. (SWTOR)
    MMOs do run Crytek 3 now, Cabal II is just releasing in Asia I believe and is the first to release on crytek 3 but there are at least 2-3 more in development - again, in Asia on the engine. No western MMOs I know of looking at it yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post

LOTR doesn't lack magic. All strong beings are magic wielder(Sauron, for example). It's just they are not called mages. Also magic in LOTR is not always in "fireball" style mainstream form.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2012-12-31 at 04:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewarior View Post
    IM tired of hearing this excuse. Someone needs to step up and just do it. Im sick and tired of developers catering to cheap asses who refuse to upgrade their PCs and little kids with no money. Make a graphically gorgeous game and screw the cheapaskates

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    cheap asses who refuse to upgrade their PCs and little kids with no money. Make a graphically gorgeous game and screw the cheapaskates
    Electronics is expensive in some countries and as far as the business goes, what you say will never happen. Developers will always aim as broad audience as possible.

also "OMG FUCKING GRAPHICS" kind of players tend to be kids.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2012-12-31 at 03:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    IM tired of hearing this excuse. Someone needs to step up and just do it. Im sick and tired of developers catering to cheap asses who refuse to upgrade their PCs and little kids with no money. Make a graphically gorgeous game and screw the cheapaskates
    Yeah, you wouldn't be a good game programmer/marketeer, the game would be for a small nieche of players who may dislike the game, thus making it less noticeable and making people who have low spec pc's not wanting to own the game.

Games aren't about graphic btw, ever heard of tibia?

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielBrems View Post
    I would love one if it was well-developed, and not just a game quickly put together to make money off of (like the current one is).
    I don't see it happening though.
    Except this is a completely nonfactual statement. LotRO wasn't quickly thrown together 'to make money' and has been F2P for a while now. They just put out a rather exceptional expansion with mounted combat in Rohan. This game was being developed when Vanilla WoW was around and that game looked awful compared to now.

People like to forget that this game came out in 2007, pretty much the beginning of the MMO boom.

a couple of points

1) Companies are in the business of making money. They aren't going to develop a product that caters to a very small amount of people, unless you want to pay a $45/month subscription fee. No thank you.

2) Other games have already proven you don't have to have a demanding engine to give you a gorgeous game. TERA online is a huge example in that respect. Sure the game was terrible, but it was the best looking and best performing MMO I've played yet.

And that's a good way to, y'know, not make money. Which is the purpose of a lot of companies.

I understand your frustration but limiting the people who can use your product is bad for business and unfortunately it would be a risky gambit for any developer to go down that path.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    LOTR doesn't lack magic. All strong beings are magic wielder(Sauron, for example). It's just they are not called mages. Also magic in LOTR is not always in "fireball" style mainstream form.
    Eh?

Trying to look really hard on what I wrote and can't see anything related to magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Eh?

Trying to look really hard on what I wrote and can't see anything related to magic.
    I think I quoted wrong person. I'll fix it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    That could be fixed by just making the game take place in Middle Earth but maybe 100 years after the events that happened in the books. Magic is possible in the universe, it's just kind of rare, which is good, I think, but if they do it in the "future", it would leave everything open for the developers to get a little more creative and add unknown stories. Gandalf could cast lightning bolts and other spells and Saruman was a proper mage too. They could just make it that after Sauron was dead and gone, more of those mages came from behind the sea (not as legendary but playable) or that the blue wizards started their school of witchcraft and wizardry or some such

OT: I agree with the OP. The current LotR game is not exactly bad. I can't really find anything thats really wrong with it, except maybe the lack of PvP. But it's just soooo dull and boring. The story isn't bad but the gameplay feels drawn out and pointless.
    No, if you want more magic you need to go to an earlier period in the history of Middle Earth.

While the world of Middle Earth is an inherently magical one the prevalence of magic has been decreasing and LoTR is sort of the coming of the age of men. Sauron is defeated, the orcs and goblins flee back into their dark caves, the last of the elves travel to the unseen lands in the west and all that.

Remember, much of the magic in the form of artifacts LoTR comes from ancient things like the Palantír, or the swords given to the hobbits around the time of the events in the Barrow-downs. The magic is still there but it is no longer quite as out in the open.

Deleted
    seems like a genius business model