[Books] Dystopian Novels

For one of my classes at university, we read three dystopian novels and then discussed their relations to modern philosophy. The conversations were actually really interesting, and I enjoyed the class enough that I wanted to read more dystopian novels to see what other strange visions of the future authors from decades ago had, or perhaps even more recent works, ie The Hunger Games. As you can see from that last example, the themes behind them don't need to be as dominant as Orwell's were, or nearly as philosophical and satirical.

Some dystopian novels I've read:
    The Hunger Games trilogy
    Brave New World
    Player Piano
    Fahrenheit 451

I'd love any other suggestions, and for those of you who haven't read Vonnegut's Player Piano, which would be understandable since it's certainly not his most famous work, I strongly encourage you to read it. Best satirical writing I've read in a while, and the themes are extremely relevant today, as they deal primarily with how you handle unemployment when manufacturing declines sharply due to technology. Amazing book.

Thanks.

Deleted
    Logan's Run, maybe? Not read it myself, but it looks good enough to be in my backlog of books.

Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham?

10+ Year Old Account
    Anthem by Ayn Rand.
    Animal Farm by George Orwell.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding.
    Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess.
    This Perfect Day by Ira Levin.
    The Children of Men by P. D. James.
    Battle Royale by Koushun Takami.

Honorable Mention: V for Vendetta by Alan Moore, a Graphic Novel which focuses heavily on Dystopian themes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps more simply post-apocalyptic than dystopian, but some of my favorites:

A Canticle for Liebowitz
    The Children of Men
    The Road
    The Stand

Damnit, forgot to ask for Wool for Christmas. I've heard good things. It's recent e-book stuff by this guy Hugh Howley.

Children of Men was made into a really good movie btw.

Do Androids dream of electric sheep by Phillip K Dick.
    Neuromancer by William Gibson

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Rand, Vonnegut, and Orwell have you covered.

I'd avoid the cyberpunk and post-apocalyptic settings, as the dystopia is more of an element of the backdrop, and they don't focus as much on the philosophy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    I don't have a great deal of experience with that particular sub-genre, but I think The Chrysalids by John Wyndham and Chung Kuo by David Wingrove (only read the first book in the series, so far) fit into the category and were enjoyable reads.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

I wouldn't recommend Rand. If you have more than half a brain in your head her philosophies will make you vomit.

Quote Originally Posted by Defengar View Post
    I wouldn't recommend Rand. If you have more than half a brain in your head her philosophies will make you vomit.
    Your opinion ≠ fact

To follow Rand you must put aside all morals, all humanity, and your religion must be self interest and selfishness. It requires one to literally become a sociopath. It goes against the basics of our species. It is to believe that any self sacrifice for others is wasteful and wrong.

A society based on her ideals would execute all old, weak, and sick. A group of unparalleled elite would hold all other citizens in slave-like bondage, and there would be no relationships based upon anything besides self interest. Her ideology is a fantasy with one rule, the government shall not infringe upon peoples rights. The problem is if you follow that system, someone will climb to the top of the pile and take control, and they will infringe upon peoples rights.

Its like believing an unregulated free market economy won't lead to bondage and monopolies.
    Last edited by Defengar; 2013-01-02 at 10:42 PM.

Deleted
    Kallocain by Karin Boye.

Gattaca, perhaps? I only watched the movie but it was really thought provoking.

I belonged to a new underclass, no longer determined by social status or the color of your skin. No, we now have discrimination down to a science.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.