Page 11 of 65 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    TBC > WotLK > MoP > Cataclysm > Vanilla
    This concept of wuv confuses and infuriates us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Abysal View Post
    MMO-Champion's daily MoP bashing nostalgia thread! Yay!
    If anything, the general consensus even among those who aren't jazzed about MoP seems to be that it's better than Cataclysm was. Beyond that, as Raivo noted, opinion seems pretty evenly distributed along the scale.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    If anything, the general consensus even among those who aren't jazzed about MoP seems to be that it's better than Cataclysm was. Beyond that, as Raivo noted, opinion seems pretty evenly distributed along the scale.
    Obviously mop is content wise better than cata even there has been only one big patch. The thing just is. MoP is a filler expansion.

I can't really compare expansions with each other since they came out in different times, but if I judge them separately at their own time it would go like this

Classic>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TBC>MoP>>>>>>>>Cata>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>WotLK.

Raiding - Wrath - TBC - Cata - Vanilla (havent raided in MoP yet due to being to busy to really play much).
    Overall - MoP - TBC - Wrath - Cata - Vanilla.
    End of cata I barely cared to log in, didnt buy MoP until the $20 of sale, but have been playing alot when I can. Not of a fan of the dailies structure (Golden lotus - Shado pan etc) but overall I do actually like the dailies over the terrible tabard dungeon grind from Cata/Wrath.

Vanilla had alot of a wow factor in it, because it was new. BC helped open alot more doors for other people with 10man raids and items from vendors not only raiding. Your PvP argument is absurd tho, PvP the TBC was about the worst there has been, PvE gear > PvP gear for some classes, some healers were near impossible to kill without RNG burst (Resto druids), PvP gear was bought with honor which could be farmed from BG's aswell, which is why most rogues used PvP swords in PvE, only the current tier required arena, and in that you could be easily carried to said items if you had the gold.
    Wrath had a good raiding model in hard modes, and easy enough overall raids on normal so it wasnt terrible to gear up new recruits.
    Cata I just found underwhelming overall, didnt feel worth doing much except farming heroics/raids, didnt feel like going out through the world to do stuff except achieve whoring.
    Really most of what people are feeling about each new expansion is just burn out anyway, youve been playing the same game a long time, it feels somewhat repetitive because of that.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    WotLK>MoP>Cata>BC>Vanilla

I dunno but in this thread there are a lot of people which claim that tbc and original wow were bad... Well definitely they didn't play the game back then. That comes from a person that follows wow since its start.

Vanilla: Best raids (u cant compare 40 man raiding fun to anything else, and original Nax was the best. Also bwl was quite neat.) Best gearing system (old raids still mattered and u didnt just stop going after a patch was out) Best looks on tiers and pvp gears (oh ye now ppl will come and say no they werent... well then why do u go and farm old raids just to trans dude? Also why u paid 50k to get t3 shoulders in bmah? Guess they dont look neat) Best PvP system for non e-sport fans ( ye pvp back then was pretty much fun, i never had a rogue i had priest and lock and believe me i was getting 2shot by rogues with renataki and some t3 but thing is i still enjoyed it!)

Generally Vanilla is on top cause of the simplicity of the mechanics and the fun u had playing the game without being afraid of blinking one of ur eyes cause u might miss a moment.

TBC: Amazing at the start, karazhan ssc etc fit in perfectly(nice raiding overall). Bad decision of dropping to 25man raiding. Introduction of the arena aka e-sport system in the game( fun at s1 free rating, s2-s3-s4 was a MESS. U can't be bothered playing a game 40 minutes long without being able to have even 1 sec break or blink an eye cause ull drop rating... Also wand bug at s3 was a good abuse half of stormscale got their ratings gimbed and became gladiators without even deserving it. Hydraa back then didnt even knew how to swd on sheep)

TBC overall was the best expac.

Wotlk: The start of COMMUNISM! At the start of this expansion blizzard show its real intentions to join the red side. Giving free loot through a revamped naxx cause they lack on ideas or whatever. Ulduar was good but boring for me.

Wotlk overall was a fun expansion but it was only if u have had 4-5 alts... especially when u were needed to have 2 more alts geared running hc icc on alt runs first and then on mains sucked a bit too much. Icc was a nice instance.. introducing hardmodes failed the game imo, we dont need communist thoughts like "oh look players cant see the content we release cause they aint playing the game enough or they suck at it" Well if they wanna see the content tell em to go to a stream or youtube and watch a video of the instance. There they go.

Cataclysm overall was good with the heroics in the begining showed some potentials same with bwd etc but sucked overall as an expac. Sorry didnt mention pvp in wotlk well same as cata nothing changed in arenas all the same drill why even bother playing when u have a multiseason gladiator and u got netherdrakes which rock over frostdragonshits.

Mop overall a try to bring back the old glory of tbc and vanilla but failed in the process. communism prevails and you can see a lot of wotlk aspects in it.

General opinion Vanilla (best times) > TBC (glory expansion) > Wotlk (hmhmhmh..ok) > Cataclysm (Cancel sub, quit wow,qq ur life, delete your char) > Mop (fair try but the game has gone way too long why people still supporting it?)

Peace out.

10+ Year Old Account
    TBC>MoP>WotLK>Cata
    TBC and MoP are very close, but also very different. Perhaps after we see more of MoP, I'll move it up a spot.
    Last edited by GoldFish; 2013-01-01 at 03:04 PM.

Deleted
    MoP = Wrath > Cata > TBC = Classic

Quote Originally Posted by keksplace View Post
    Hello there.
    Im curious as to which you guys consider the best and worse expansion and WHY?
    I personally liked them in this order:
    TBC>WOTLK>CATA>MOP, exactly how they appeared. I havent played Vanilla so i dont know what was up there.

Why?
    Apart from LORE, which was best imo in TBC and worst in MoP and Cata, also there were a few requirement that would diferentiate the players.
    For example in TBC you had to work for pvp gear. If i remember right all the items except a few had arena rating requirement. Now even the 1000 rated guys can have all the gear they want except 1 or 2.

PVE was much harder, only around 200 guilds have seen Kil'jaedan in TBC (and that after the nerf), weaker guilds got disbanded which is great cos they knew they were weak. I count myself among the ones that have seen Kil'jaedan dead before nerf, but i dont wana brag about myself. There was guild competitions at that time.
    Even players were competing on DPS for example. Now they get legendaries and quit.
    Why would one get legendary and quit? I get legendary and destroy all others on DPS so bad that they ll remember me!

Now in MoP/Cata is like theres no competition anymore, and everyone can get what gear they want, and see what boss they want. Most players just play arena for points... to get gear only. Why get gear if you dont wana go up?
    Couldn't be more wrong, I'm not a good pvper by any means but in TBC it was so easy I facerolled my way up to the requirements for top pvp gear, now it is much harder.

PvE was much harder? Funny guy, PvE was absolutely nothing compared to what it is today. The small samples you are seeing is because far far less people actually raided back then, and it was limited to 25 man guilds, so even those that did raid only like 50% of them had the people to even try raiding properly. There are vastly more people raiding these days and even now only 97 guilds have cleared the content so far.

If you put TBC raids up against the people playing PvE today, the raids would be cleared within hours from launch.

For me it's MoP > Wrath > Cata >> TBC >>>> Vanilla

That's in terms of gameplay and overall quality, lore is another story.
    Last edited by Vakna; 2013-01-01 at 03:02 PM.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

TBC, like Vanilla, incorporated both large and small raids intuitively into the progression model. TBC made normal dungeons important in gearing, and heroic dungeons challenging and meaningful. TBC still gave you full customization of your character's talents. So many things about the game were dumbed down, streamlined, etc after TBC.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    Couldn't be more wrong, I'm not a good pvper by any means but in TBC it was so easy I facerolled my way up to the requirements for top pvp gear, now it is much harder.

PvE was much harder? Funny guy, PvE was absolutely nothing compared to what it is today. The small samples you are seeing is because far far less people actually raided back then, and it was limited to 25 man guilds, so even those that did raid only like 50% of them had the people to even try raiding properly. There are vastly more people raiding these days and even now only 97 guilds have cleared the content so far.

If you put TBC raids up against the people playing PvE today, the raids would be cleared within hours from launch.
    Calling troll, PvE was notoriously harder in TBC than it is now. Most people now would QQ just over the heroics, let alone raid difficulty. To be honest, you don't sound like you even played in TBC. Raiding was not limited to 25 man guilds, both 10 and 25 man raids were important and if you were a hardcore raider you were in a guild that was capable of both.
    Last edited by Absintheminded; 2013-01-01 at 03:05 PM.

1.Wotlk
    2.MoP
    3.TBC
    4.Cata

Deleted
    From my personal view (mainly PvP oriented), I'd say WotLK > Cata > TBC > MoP (so far) > Classic.

I probably enjoyed PvP the most in WotLK and Classic, but it wasn't even remotely balanced in Classic, which puts it @ the bottom spot for me (I played enhancement. autoattacks, shocks and 20s CD stormstrikes >.<)

The PvP scene in MoP has had a horrible start. Certain classes globalling left and right, ratings being skewed due to numerous exploits and a flood of instant CC. Not judging it too hard, as it's only the first season of the expansion, and first seasons are notoriously unbalanced. Placeholder ranking.

TBC was where rated play was introduced. Being able to test your mettle and compare yourself to other teams was awesome. Comp and gear was everything though, PvP was (and to some extent still is) a fast paced chess match. Facing an RMP was like playing against someone with 5 queen pieces, and falling behind on gear (or starting late) meant that you had to play catchup for a while, which sucked bawlz.

Cataclysm had it's ups and downs. First season was messed up as always, 1 shot macros, enhancement shamans with spell power main hand weapons (Yes, I used one)
    Then I quit for a while, everything was so messed up. When I returned @ the launch of 4.2, I rerolled fire mage (Bebep's video made it looks so much fun). It was easy to pick up, but I had a hard time becoming a competent fire mage. And this is where I get super biased, because fire mages got buffed to the moon and back in 4.3, so I started wrecking anything and everything. Fun times.

WotLK. Man I miss it. 3.0 was garbage with a side of garbage, topped up with some extra garbage. Surv hunters pressing explosion shot for glory, DKs and Rets being demigods and double rogue teams eliminating a player on the opposing team in a global. Then we had the invention of the TSG comp and other fun stuff like protholy paladins. PvP became really fast paced with a multitude of comps being viable and fun (Still nothing I hate more than ATC though).
    Last edited by mmoc1ea225bcc9; 2013-01-01 at 03:09 PM.

WotLK and Cata are tied for the worst raiding experience ever. Wotlk launched with the worst raid teir ever and Cata ended with the worst ending raid ever. Ironically, the best designed bosses like Yogg,LK,Rag 2.0 are in those xpacs.

Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    Calling troll, PvE was notoriously harder in TBC than it is now. Most people now would QQ just over the heroics, let alone raid difficulty. To be honest, you don't sound like you even played in TBC. Raiding was not limited to 25 man guilds, both 10 and 25 man raids were important and if you were a hardcore raider you were in a guild that was capable of both.
    I started playing a few months before TBC, I was still pretty casual and probably quite nooby until late TBC, I didn't find anything remotely challenging in the TBC heroics apart from maybe Shattered Halls, neither did anyone I knew back then. People talk about TBC like it was some incredibly hard expansion to do anything in, it was far from that.

Raiding was definitely limited to 25 man guilds however much you try to say otherwise, no one cared about Zul'aman or Karazhan when it came to world firsts, and guilds that didn't have 25-30 raiders were extremely limited in what they could do.

Raids were notoriously harder back then? Absolutely not, the numbers speak for themselves even, 200 guilds clearing KJ whilst it was current, cosidering there was maybe 15-20% of guilds raiding as there are now at that point, and it was 25 man only. That's a pretty massive portion of the guilds that could raid it actually succeeding, much bigger portion than you would see today.

And let's not even start discussing the horrendous state of balance and general gameplay back then, the game is in a far better state now than it was anywhere near back in the "glory days".
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Why are people including Vanilla? Last I check, it was the base product, not an expansion >_>
    Might not be an expansion, but it was a VERSION of the game and it deserves it's own recognition. Having a list of versions, and excluding the base version, just seems wrong to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    MoP > WotLK > BC > Cata

I didn't play vanilla.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

classic not xpac so
    BC(good)>MoP(good)>Wrath(good)>cata(bad)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandareeni View Post
    Obviously mop is content wise better than cata even there has been only one big patch. The thing just is. MoP is a filler expansion.
    Arguable. It's giving the limelight to the Alliance-Horde conflict that's been building for eight years now, set against a backdrop where such a war is a completely alien notion to the indigenous peoples (most notably the pandaren, who view combat as a resolution to a conflict and not the means of carrying out a conflict, something both the Tushui and Huojin pandaren of the Alliance and Horde even espouse). The 5.0 content also helps to set up future plot arcs for Blizzard to visit later, because we are rapidly running out of plot arcs from the RTSes and Vanilla to revisit (and while there are a few from TBC, I'd expect those to get wrapped up in the next Legion-focused expansion).
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!