Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    that is crazy of course not!

Wait, what the hell? The STATE is suing for child-support? This article is awfully confusing. The couple filed for state assistance, and to pay for it, the state sued the sperm donor? Good lord.
    Last edited by Syladia; 2013-01-01 at 03:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Syladia View Post
    Wait, what the hell? The STATE is suing for child-support? This article is awfully confusing. The couple filed for state assistance, and to pay for it, the state sued the sperm donor? Good lord.
    Thats whats interesting, the state legally doesnt see women like men in reguards to child support, they are the victim in a sense and have no responsibilities while men get locked up for not paying.

A strange argument against gay couples having kids, especially (like this couple) when you factor in how long the avg gay couple stays together. Thats what i took from the fox side of things.

If the guy didnt go through an agency, but instead mailed the sperm, or slept with the woman (ill be honest and say i didnt bother reading the story) then he should have to pay. Otherwise i could just consider anytime i sleep with a girl to be a sperm donation, and as such i have no legal obligation to the child because all i was trying to do is donate some sperm lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Endre View Post
    ... whatever, people are stupid.

So now all the women who give their children into adoption should pay child support. Really ... where is this world coming to.
    lol

Somehow you won't get why I am laughing at, er "with" you.

First, the article doesn't go into great detail outlining the process of the "sperm donating".

Answering an ad on Craigslist doesn't negate your parental obligation, just because you say it does after you "donated sperm" personally at their home.

That is why there are professional avenues to do such a thing, none of which were stated in the article.

The murkiness of allowing people to be "sperm donors" outside of the confines of a medical facility or professional fertility clinic, is why those avenues are there to begin with.

Deleted
    And this is exactly why donating sperm isn't something you want to do. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    Because that's a silly analogy that has nothing to do with this case. The child is his. It is his genetic material and no informal agreement can waive that responsibility.
    It was a formal agreement. Also, it's not a silly analogy. You're using the argument that genetics make it his child and he should have to pay for it even though he had nothing to do with it in any financial or emotional way. Your brother also shares genetic material with you, yet you don't have to pay for him.

If his genetic material was stolen, would you have a problem with him paying child support? What about if he was raped? Cloned?

Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post
    lol

Somehow you won't get why I am laughing at, er "with" you.

First, the article doesn't go into great detail outlining the process of the "sperm donating".

Answering an ad on Craigslist doesn't negate your parental obligation, just because you say it does after you "donated sperm" personally at their home.

That is why there are professional avenues to do such a thing, none of which were stated in the article.

The murkiness of allowing people to be "sperm donors" outside of the confines of a medical facility or professional fertility clinic, is why those avenues are there to begin with.
    Even if he had had sex with her and gotten her pregnant, if she had a way to contact him and never sought child support from him, there's no reason he should have to pay it now.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2013-01-01 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    It was a formal agreement. Also, it's not a silly analogy. You're using the argument that genetics make it his child and he should have to pay for it even though he had nothing to do with it in any financial or emotional way. Your brother also shares genetic material with you, yet you don't have to pay for him.

If his genetic material was stolen, would you have a problem with him paying child support? What about if he was raped? Cloned?

Even if he had had sex with her and gotten her pregnant, if she had a way to contact him and never sought child support from him, there's no reason he should have to pay it now.
    Actually, there is another rule. Its called paternity by estoppel and what's amazing is that it overrides biological paternity. Basically it means that if you operate as the father of the child or were duped into believing that child is yours and you behave as a father, you cannot go back on your "promise" to that child by saying you're not the father anymore. Hence, you would be obligated to pay chsupp even though you're not the biological father. So don't move in with a chick that has kids because her burden of proof is already assumed. But in this case it also applies in his defense:

One of these mothers is the father of this child should be his argument, she cannot go back on that. That overrides his biological paternity. Hence he should be able to use paternity by estoppel to relinquish his responsibility and put it on her. So I suspect that his complaint is that since these people have vaginas, this legal obligation isn't being considered.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post

Wow, you really do like to try and put forward silly examples that have nothing to do with the actual situation. A bunch of "what ifs" that really have nothing to do with anything the discussion is about.

This isn't about brothers, or cloning (seriously, wtf?), this is about the fact that a man allowed his sperm to be used to create a child. Since they did this in some ridiculous, backwoods fashion there is nothing exempting him from his responsibility as father to that child, the responsibility every other father has to their children, beside those who have legally been adopted or born through official, regulated, sperm donation. No amount of "formal agreements" can exempt him from that responsibility, just like there is nothing that can exempt the deadbeat father who simply doesn't want to pay. As I said in my original post, it's a shitty situation, but the fact is that's the law on the matter

I await your response, I am sure it will be a fascinating read. Perhaps you can suggest the deadbeat has no responsibility to his children, since it's only his genetic material, or maybe you could suggest that his second cousin's father-in-law should pay, because why the fuck not?

Deleted
    All depends on the donation part:
    Was it a case of looking for a man to fertilize one of the women the good old way without medical help, or was it a case of finding a donor and doing it the medical way (so rather than picking Donor 1234 out they had all be it a small idea of who the donor was). The first one i would imagine he would of to pay since he didn't donate as he should of, but in the second he really shouldn't.

However using the fox news link, 'contractually' he forfeit all claim to the child for financial freedom with regards to benefits, and the mother agreed to it.

All honesty he shouldn't, but knowing how screwed up most government departments are (american especially) i can see him losing it.

Big thing here is if he loses, then you can see major drop in donors fearing they will have to pay, and potentially people cherry-picking sperm (not sure what info is given about donors, if occupation etc given people may pick high paid donors to then claim benefits off them)

To be honest, the state is "in the right" here. The procedure wasn't done correctly (not via a sperm bank), so it makes sense.

-the man more or less got what was coming for him, he made a very stupid move by donating his sperm this way. Sucks for him, but he made a mistake and has to pay for it. I guess it's stupid bureaucracy, but still, he agreed to do something very stupid.

-it's sad that the women couldn't apply/get approved as a couple and adopt/get sperm donation as a couple, but I do have to question the number of children they are taking care of... 8 is insane.

Don't be afraid of donating sperm, if you do it through the proper channels...

I can tell you from experience that the Law in the state where I live is that the State collects money from the Father if the Mother applies for state assistance. In most cases the state is non-the-wiser if no one ever applies for this aid. Political affiliation really has nothing to do with it. Nor do I believe that it is an attempt to "go after", or diminish gains made by same-sex couples in terms of equality. It is a law that has been around for a long time and has been brought to light by this mans' admirable, but ill-executed desire to help these women out. I wish him luck. A man has no friends in the court system.
    Last edited by Odian; 2013-01-01 at 04:53 PM.

No he shouldn't have to and it's stupid if he's being forced. This will only scare sperm donors away from donating in the future.
    ~ stuff, the best thing ~

That is absolutely insane...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayarea View Post
    No he shouldn't have to and it's stupid if he's being forced. This will only scare sperm donors away from donating in the future.
    No, it'll scare unofficial sperm donors away in the future. Sperm donors who go through the correct channels will not end up being found liable for child support.

Looking at this, I kinda do think it was a "sperm donation" /winkwinknudgenudge, or at least could be interpreted that way.

GG lezbos.

You bring a child into the world unnaturally and then break up leaving them to suffer an upbringing with divorced parents.

Infracted.
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2013-01-01 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nivis View Post
    And this is exactly why donating sperm isn't something you want to do. Ever.
    This is why the US is is morally bankrupt; This is a shining example of idiotic law and legislators not fulfilling their responsibilities.

Wow, you really do like to try and put forward silly examples that have nothing to do with the actual situation. A bunch of "what ifs" that really have nothing to do with anything the discussion is about.

This isn't about brothers, or cloning (seriously, wtf?), this is about the fact that a man allowed his sperm to be used to create a child. Since they did this in some ridiculous, backwoods fashion there is nothing exempting him from his responsibility as father to that child, the responsibility every other father has to their children, beside those who have legally been adopted or born through official, regulated, sperm donation. No amount of "formal agreements" can exempt him from that responsibility, just like there is nothing that can exempt the deadbeat father who simply doesn't want to pay. As I said in my original post, it's a shitty situation, but the fact is that's the law on the matter

I await your response, I am sure it will be a fascinating read. Perhaps you can suggest the deadbeat has no responsibility to his children, since it's only his genetic material, or maybe you could suggest that his second cousin's father-in-law should pay, because why the fuck not?
    So basically, you're going to reassert your position without answering any questions? Good form, you get ten points for knowing how to argue.

No, it'll scare unofficial sperm donors away in the future. Sperm donors who go through the correct channels will not end up being found liable for child support.
    No amount of "formal agreements" can exempt him from that responsibility

wat

At first I was thinking "hell no that's stupid" but then I thought about it a bit more and have 1 big issue. They set this whole thing up through craigslist. Meaning this was more than likely not done at any medical center which usually have a waiver that states you're a donor and nothing more and will not be held responsible for the child in anyway. Now regardless of if he gave them a jar of sperm where they went to the right place to do the procedure, he had sex with one, or they used a turkey baster it seems he could be in trouble.