Ruby Sparks
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower
    Bad Ass
    The Dictator

Honorable mention
    John Dies at the End
    since i have not seen all of it yet but what i have seen so far is awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    Pretty good list, especially for not seeing many movies this year (although you sure did make it to quite a few good ones)

And yeah the Hobbit probably would (or could) have been in my top 10 if I had let my inner Tolkien-fanboy take over. I really liked it despite my personal problems with Azog and Radagast.
    Yea I made sure I got out and saw all the really 'big' releases... Everything after my top 3 was more spur of the moment watches which I got pleasantly surprised by, and even then I feel like I didn't see that many movies.

The Hobbit is weird like that. Take the Star Wars prequels as an example, most people either LOVE or HATE those movies. Whereas The Hobbit seems to have massive variations of enjoyment levels. I have one friend who I hate going to see movies with because he critiques the crap out of everything and doesn't seem to enjoy anything but Tarantino films. He doesn't like Tolkein's writing style and thought Fellowship & Two Towers was perfect films but ROTK was shit. But even he came out and absolutely loved it. It definitely doesn't deserve the 65% it's got on Rotten Tomatoes, but the opinions of the film content itself certainly varies HEAPS between people rather then being very 'Love or Hate'.

I didn't think much of Life of Pi when I saw the trailer, but it's finally out in Aus and it's received insanely good reviews, so perhaps it's worth a watch.

Also I might have to watch Looper just purely out of interest ... My friends that have seen it said it was Woeful, but alot of people online said it was really good (Maybe it's that classic Love/Hate that I was saying above)... I'll need to find all the iffy movies of 2012 and watch since there ain't much coming out this year till like May (And then everything hits at once), keep myself occupied after I come back from Japan in Feb until May.

1) Zero Dark Thirty - No competition here, if Lincoln win Oscar for best movie over this one I blame your damn patriotism!
    2) Zero Dark Thirty
    3) Zero Dark Thirty
    4) Zero Dark Thirty - Just cause I could see it a 4th time, and still enjoy it!
    5) End of Watch - Acting was amazing
    6) The Hobbit - Too bad it felt like a rerun of LotR: Fellowship of the Ring
    7) Prometheus - Yes, I'm a sucker for Alien-genre movies. Might not be super acting, but the movie was entertaining!
    8) A Royal Affair - Danish movie, you will most likely see it at the Oscars best foreign nomination (won't win over that french one though)
    ... the rest

Also guess you gotta be American to find Lincoln any good. Was sooooo boring *yawns*
    Last edited by Nelle; 2013-01-08 at 01:17 AM.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Daverid View Post
    Yea I made sure I got out and saw all the really 'big' releases... Everything after my top 3 was more spur of the moment watches which I got pleasantly surprised by, and even then I feel like I didn't see that many movies.

The Hobbit is weird like that. Take the Star Wars prequels as an example, most people either LOVE or HATE those movies. Whereas The Hobbit seems to have massive variations of enjoyment levels. I have one friend who I hate going to see movies with because he critiques the crap out of everything and doesn't seem to enjoy anything but Tarantino films. He doesn't like Tolkein's writing style and thought Fellowship & Two Towers was perfect films but ROTK was shit. But even he came out and absolutely loved it. It definitely doesn't deserve the 65% it's got on Rotten Tomatoes, but the opinions of the film content itself certainly varies HEAPS between people rather then being very 'Love or Hate'.

I didn't think much of Life of Pi when I saw the trailer, but it's finally out in Aus and it's received insanely good reviews, so perhaps it's worth a watch.

Also I might have to watch Looper just purely out of interest ... My friends that have seen it said it was Woeful, but alot of people online said it was really good (Maybe it's that classic Love/Hate that I was saying above)... I'll need to find all the iffy movies of 2012 and watch since there ain't much coming out this year till like May (And then everything hits at once), keep myself occupied after I come back from Japan in Feb until May.
    Yeah, Life of Pi is definitely worth a watch, especially in theaters because of its fantastic cinematography and 3D (better than Avatar), and unlike Avatar everything else in the film lives up to its visual effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelle View Post
    1) Zero Dark Thirty - No competition here, if Lincoln win Oscar for best movie over this one I blame your damn patriotism!
    2) End Watch - Acting was amazing
    3) The Hobbit - Too bad it felt like a rerun of LotR: Fellowship of the Ring
    4) Prometheus - Yes, I'm a sucker for Alien-genre movies. Might not be super acting, but the movie was entertaining!
    ... the rest

Also guess you gotta be American to find Lincoln any good. Was sooooo boring *yawns*
    Zero Dark Thirty has its nationwide release for me this Friday I am super stoked to see it with all its buzz.

Quote Originally Posted by Frah View Post
    Cloud Atlas
    Looper
    The Sweeney
    End of Watch
    Argo
    Meeting Evil
    Ruby Sparks
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower
    Bad Ass
    The Dictator

Honorable mention
    John Dies at the End
    since i have not seen all of it yet but what i have seen so far is awesome
    I haven't heard of some of those actually, but yeah there's some interesting picks here.

#1 Avengers - While the movie was great I put this #1 due to them "mostly" accomplishing tying together all the movies which is no small feat with multiple directors and actors.

#2 Hobbit - The movie could have been 6 hours long with everyone just sitting around smoking and I think I would still enjoy it.

#3 Moonrise Kingdom - It was cute and funny.

#4 Dark Knight Rises - Despite for me being a bit confusing I was able to see the all 3 movies in a marathon which I quite enjoyed.

#5 Looper - The kid stole the movie for me.

#6 John Carter - I know I will get flagged for even mentioning this but I quite enjoyed them.

#7 Battleship - Same as #6

#8 Skyfall - Not a James Bond fan but I enjoyed it.

#9 Safe House - One of those films where I wasn't sure what would happen next.

#10 21 Jump Street - Very funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelle View Post
    8) A Royal Affair - Danish movie, you will most likely see it at the Oscars best foreign nomination (won't win over that french one though)
    As I predicted, this movie just got nominated for an Oscar

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting to see other people’s opinions and lists Keep them coming, they provide for some of the best reads on the whole forum. My own list is far from completed, there are still a lot of films I need to watch, mostly films that haven’t landed elsewhere than cinemas yet. So far I have seen just about 115 films from 2012. Eleven 4/4 ratings has been given (note that I rate on a x/4 scale). When I feel I’m ready to make a list (probably somewhere in late March to April), I will submit it here as a list consisting of the 20 best films I saw from 2012. Along with my Best Twenty list, I will also post a Top 10 Worst, Top 10 Most Anticipated for the rest of 2013, and lists of the best performances (maybe other “awards”). Not that I think you care about my opinion, I just like making lists and make them visible elsewhere than in my files.

So I finally saw Life of Pi, I'm sorry but I absolutely hated it in about every single way except the Visual Effects.

Life of Pi just felt like they blew not only their entire Visual Effects budget, but their ENTIRE film budget purely on the Tiger and everything else was just so.. Meh. I hated them trying to shove some stupid message about Faith and God down my throat, If I want a lesson on Faith I'll go to church. Pointless hokey twist at the end with the whole way the Kid tells the story, completely artificial way of 'getting people thinking'. I literally almost fell asleep like 10 times during the start of the film, people say The Hobbit was drawn out at the start... They clearly haven't seen Life of Pi. The ENTIRE start of the story was only there to setup the Kid, so that the Retarded message in the end was connected, and since i hated the overall message it meant the start of the movie just pissed me off. It just felt like a crappy version of Castaway, inferior in every single way except for the Tiger, who was the only reason I even gave this film 5/10.

I still think The Hobbit deserves the Visual Effect Award over Life of Pi. The Tiger was STUNNING, probably the most life-like and greatest Visual Effect ever to grace Cinema, but in terms of Overall Visual Effects, The Hobbit was simply better. The Trolls, Goblins, Stone Giants etc were ALL almost "Tiger-Tier", not only that but every Visual Effect in The Hobbit was done in 48FPS, requiring even greater attention to detail and such a higher level of work to achieve, that in itself deserves the award. However if The Hobbit doesn't win the award, I'll be content knowing that it'll definitely win next year because of Smaug and every other effect just as awesome as Unexpected Journey.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Killer Joe - Extremely Unique
    2. Chronicle - Unique
    3. The Dark Knight Rises - Even if it hadn't been a batman movie it was still damn good
    4. The Avengers - So much fun to watch
    5. Trouble With The Curve - Instant Classic
    6. Lawless - Very enjoyable somewhat true story
    7. Rock of Ages - Awesome music
    8. The Grey - Awesome
    9. American Reunion - Very good comeback
    10. Twilight Saga Breaking Dawn Pt 2 - Simply because the 15 minutes of everyone dying made me smile for the first time at a twilight movie

Quote Originally Posted by Daverid View Post
    So I finally saw Life of Pi, I'm sorry but I absolutely hated it in about every single way except the Visual Effects.

Life of Pi just felt like they blew not only their entire Visual Effects budget, but their ENTIRE film budget purely on the Tiger and everything else was just so.. Meh. I hated them trying to shove some stupid message about Faith and God down my throat, If I want a lesson on Faith I'll go to church. Pointless hokey twist at the end with the whole way the Kid tells the story, completely artificial way of 'getting people thinking'. I literally almost fell asleep like 10 times during the start of the film, people say The Hobbit was drawn out at the start... They clearly haven't seen Life of Pi. The ENTIRE start of the story was only there to setup the Kid, so that the Retarded message in the end was connected, and since i hated the overall message it meant the start of the movie just pissed me off. It just felt like a crappy version of Castaway, inferior in every single way except for the Tiger, who was the only reason I even gave this film 5/10.

I still think The Hobbit deserves the Visual Effect Award over Life of Pi. The Tiger was STUNNING, probably the most life-like and greatest Visual Effect ever to grace Cinema, but in terms of Overall Visual Effects, The Hobbit was simply better. The Trolls, Goblins, Stone Giants etc were ALL almost "Tiger-Tier", not only that but every Visual Effect in The Hobbit was done in 48FPS, requiring even greater attention to detail and such a higher level of work to achieve, that in itself deserves the award. However if The Hobbit doesn't win the award, I'll be content knowing that it'll definitely win next year because of Smaug and every other effect just as awesome as Unexpected Journey.
    That surprises me considering how true the adaption of Life of Pi was to the book and the fact the ending message can be taken in many different ways (there are hardcore atheists who love this movie, probably more than me), the book (and also the movie) have lots of depth to them.

Also not to mention the ending you end up choosing for yourself really reflects on yourself and what makes you you, than it does on the story, almost parable like. There's a reason the book won many awards and it's shaping the movie is too, plus the visuals are pretty cool.

The big thing to remember though is this is not an action movie, it's not even a castaway movie (while similar to castaway), it's its own beast with a unique story to tell with many different ways to interpret it. That's at least why I believe it is getting tons of love.
    Last edited by Markluzz; 2013-01-16 at 01:52 PM.

10. Moonrise Kingdom - What an awesome, feel good movie that brings you right back to a childhood mindset. There wasn't a single aspect of this movie that I disliked, other than the people who got upset about how young the children were. It didn't really feel like it had the depth to rank any higher for me, but it certainly had the charm to make this list.

9. Perks of Being a Wallflower - I think this movie would have ranked higher if I didn't find typical high school party scenes to be unbearable. The characters were insanely well done, and I loved the plot just as much as I did when I read it. I think most people would enjoy this movie; that being said, people who enjoy young adult fiction will fall in love with this movie in a heartbeat.

8. Skyfall Everytime I think of this movie, I remember the insanely cool scene in Shanghai with the lights and just awesome cinematography. I can't wait to get it on Blu-Ray. One of the most satisfying Bond movies I've ever seen.

7. Argo - I actually didn't enjoy this movie as much as my friend did, but I still thought it was extremely well made, and the best work Affleck has done in his career so far. The story itself is unbelievable, and seeing it brought to life was awesome.

6. Lincoln - Mr. Lewis has been my favorite actor since There Will Be Blood, and while I didn't enjoy this movie nearly as much as that one, I thought his performance was just as incredible. I'm really glad Spielberg didn't focus too much on making this a feel good, family movie, and let us see the darker side of ending slavery in America. It did get a little too dramatic at points, such as when the vote was actually occuring, which took way from what could have been an even better film.

5. The Master - Not remotely surprised that this film hasn't made anyone else's list. Naturally, I was eager to see it given how much I loved There Will Be Blood, and while this movie was just as well made, it suffered from a few crucial mistakes that prevented it from being a masterpiece, in my opinion. The plot design itself was probably the biggest of these flaws, falling way too much on symbolism and subtle details to move the story forward. Fortunately for this movie, it still makes this list because of performances like Joaquin Phoenix, who had the best performance of the year in my eyes.

4. The Hobbit - Tolkien fan boy reporting in. What more needs to be said? "This is no thunderstorm. IT'S A THUNDER BATTLE!"

3. Django Unchained - Confession: I put this here because I'm hoping. I haven't seen it yet. It might be terrible. It might be amazing. I'm so damn hopeful I felt the need to put it here, and every person who likes the types of movies I do has acknowledged it as being as amazing as I hope, but still, I am being unfair -- I literally made my #3 a movie I haven't seen.

2. Cloud Atlas - If you have not seen this yet, go see it right now. It is incredible. Absolutely amazing. Every single one of the six interwoven stories is awesome all on their own, and seeing the multiple performances from actors was actually thoroughly entertaining, although I do understand that it threw some people off.

1. Les Miserables - Eh, call me a sucker, but I loved every single aspect of this movie and will be going to see it again in a few days. If you can't stand musicals, I understand not liking this film, but otherwise, I really don't see how you couldn't enjoy it. I just wish I could say every performance was great. Sorry, Russel Crowe, but I just don't think you're musical material.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiah View Post
    10. Moonrise Kingdom - What an awesome, feel good movie that brings you right back to a childhood mindset. There wasn't a single aspect of this movie that I disliked, other than the people who got upset about how young the children were. It didn't really feel like it had the depth to rank any higher for me, but it certainly had the charm to make this list.

9. Perks of Being a Wallflower - I think this movie would have ranked higher if I didn't find typical high school party scenes to be unbearable. The characters were insanely well done, and I loved the plot just as much as I did when I read it. I think most people would enjoy this movie; that being said, people who enjoy young adult fiction will fall in love with this movie in a heartbeat.

8. Skyfall Everytime I think of this movie, I remember the insanely cool scene in Shanghai with the lights and just awesome cinematography. I can't wait to get it on Blu-Ray. One of the most satisfying Bond movies I've ever seen.

7. Argo - I actually didn't enjoy this movie as much as my friend did, but I still thought it was extremely well made, and the best work Affleck has done in his career so far. The story itself is unbelievable, and seeing it brought to life was awesome.

6. Lincoln - Mr. Lewis has been my favorite actor since There Will Be Blood, and while I didn't enjoy this movie nearly as much as that one, I thought his performance was just as incredible. I'm really glad Spielberg didn't focus too much on making this a feel good, family movie, and let us see the darker side of ending slavery in America. It did get a little too dramatic at points, such as when the vote was actually occuring, which took way from what could have been an even better film.

5. The Master - Not remotely surprised that this film hasn't made anyone else's list. Naturally, I was eager to see it given how much I loved There Will Be Blood, and while this movie was just as well made, it suffered from a few crucial mistakes that prevented it from being a masterpiece, in my opinion. The plot design itself was probably the biggest of these flaws, falling way too much on symbolism and subtle details to move the story forward. Fortunately for this movie, it still makes this list because of performances like Joaquin Phoenix, who had the best performance of the year in my eyes.

4. The Hobbit - Tolkien fan boy reporting in. What more needs to be said? "This is no thunderstorm. IT'S A THUNDER BATTLE!"

3. Django Unchained - Confession: I put this here because I'm hoping. I haven't seen it yet. It might be terrible. It might be amazing. I'm so damn hopeful I felt the need to put it here, and every person who likes the types of movies I do has acknowledged it as being as amazing as I hope, but still, I am being unfair -- I literally made my #3 a movie I haven't seen.

2. Cloud Atlas - If you have not seen this yet, go see it right now. It is incredible. Absolutely amazing. Every single one of the six interwoven stories is awesome all on their own, and seeing the multiple performances from actors was actually thoroughly entertaining, although I do understand that it threw some people off.

1. Les Miserables - Eh, call me a sucker, but I loved every single aspect of this movie and will be going to see it again in a few days. If you can't stand musicals, I understand not liking this film, but otherwise, I really don't see how you couldn't enjoy it. I just wish I could say every performance was great. Sorry, Russel Crowe, but I just don't think you're musical material.
    Great list there, and I completely agree with what you said about one, it's the reason why it has a 70% on rotten tomatoes but is still being nominated for everything, the only people who didn't love it really were the people who don't like or can't stand musicals (the 25%, and 5% for another random reason), and then you have 70% love. So honestly I don't think it's like some movies where it has mixed but mostly positive, it is mostly very positive but some negative by people who can't take musicals.

I have not seen Zero Dark Thirty, Life of Pi, Moonrise Kingdom, 7 Psychopaths, or Argo, all of which have received good reviews but haven't appealed to me in the slightest from their previews. I'm sure when I finally get around to watching those movies one or two of them will be added to this list.

#1. Cloud Atlas. - I have been disappointed in the lack of excitement for this movie. It blew me away when I saw it.
    #2. Django Unchained
    #3. Dredd - The best action movie of the year that nobody went to see.
    #4. The Hobbit
    #5. Lincoln

After this point the order doesn't really matter.

#6. Chronicle
    #7. John Carter of Mars
    #8. Premium Rush
    #9. The Dark Knight Rises
    #10. The Cabin in the Woods

I do have ti admit... I did not really see that many movies in 2012 . Though I think my favorite last year would be either The Hobbit or Skyfall. Really hope to see more movies this year.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    They didn't blow up the last bridge because they needed to control the import and export of goods....duh!!!
    Last edited by goltnum9; 2013-01-17 at 11:28 AM. Reason: gramar

The Raid: Redemption
    The Avengers
    Looper
    The Beasts Of The Southern Wild
    The Imposter
    Lincoln
    The Master
    Shame
    The Dark Knight Rises
    The Hobbit

No particular order, just my 10 favourites of the year. I never got around to seeing The Life of Pi or The Sound of My Voice, so they may potentially have taken places on that list.

Honourable mentions:

Argo
    Cabin In The Woods (as a cult film, not horror)
    Killing Them Softly
    Moonrise Kingdom
    Cosmopolis
    Prometheus (too many flaws to make the list)
    Ted
    Chronicle

Edit: Realised I hadn't listed Lincoln. Chronicle downgraded to a mention.
    Last edited by Shinzai; 2013-01-17 at 04:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't see alot of movies in threaters but here's a small list
    Dark Knight rises
    The Avengers
    John Carter(if disney would have kept the of Mars in the title) it would have done better, or used the book title.
    Fast 5

I have officially watched Zero Dark Thirty now, so I am going to update my top 10 since it is technically a 2012 movie. Going to catch up and try to watch Beasts of Southern Wilds, Seven Psychopaths, and Perks of Being.

Wow I really didn't see many movies in 2012, at least not new ones... I can only think of three:

1) The Hunger Games - went in expecting nothing, actually ended up enjoying it (though it's far from a great movie). Read the book recently, I think if I'd seen the movie after reading the book instead I would've hated it... so I guess it's a good thing I didn't :P

2) The Avengers - expected this to be crap (call me a cynic but except for Iron Man all the preceding movies have been rubbish), turned out to be a lot of fun.

3) Dark Knight Rises - well I had a mixed history with this franchise, didn't much like Batman Begins but loved Dark Knight. I hoped it would live up to DK but suspected it probably wouldn't. But as it turns out, it was an absolutely abysmal movie, way worse than I could've expected. Orders of magnitude worse than BB. It's actually going into my list of all-time stinkers. What the hell happened? It actually made me angry, that's how crap it was... that doesn't normally happen... and it's not like I haven't seen a lot of shit movies in my time.

So in summary 2012 was a year of surprises for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.