New Monitor £160

Im looking for a new monitor as i have just bought a new pc and the monitor i am using at the moment really sucks, the highest resolution it can handle it 1440x900.

I have around £160 to spend on a monitor, i'm not too sure it what to look for when picking a good monitor so i was hoping to get some help fro you lot, i mainly play League of Legends and sometimes games on steam on such, i'm just looking for a monitor that looks really nice, here is my the graphics card im running at the moment - Sapphire HD7870 2GB. I believe i am looking for a monitor with 1920x1080 Resolution, thanks.

And i live in the uk.

Assuming that you want a bit of choice of connectors, these two monitors seem reasonable, for within your budget:

http://www.ebuyer.com/388225-lg-ips2...tor-ips224v-pn
    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/lg-le24...78700-pdt.html
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Hmm something im unsure about, will i get the best display from a hdmi cable or a vga ? which cable tends to be the best quality wise

DVI is the way to go for computer monitors, HDMI is, in my opinion, only good between your TV and DVD player.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterec View Post
    DVI is the way to go for computer monitors, HDMI is, in my opinion, only good between your TV and DVD player.
    Why would that be? HDMI is DVI + Audio.

Things might have changed since I was last updated but my reasons for DVI > HDMI are:
    HDMI is 1080p @ 60hz capped, while DVI has no theoretical cap.
    HDMI 1.4 does support 3d but problems might occur with bandwith.
    Scaling might occur with HDMI since (might have been driver fixed?) the graphics card might think the HDMI goes to a TV instead of a monitor. At least Catalyst Contol Center did this.
    And correct me if Im wrong, but I have a faint memory of dual link DVI being able to carry audio?

so do you think it is best to get a monitor and use dvi ? i dont need need hdmi for sound because i have speaker via optical cable or i just use my headphones

Well, HDMI and DVI are image vise the same up to the cap of the HDMI. You will not go over that so it is entirely up to you what you use as a connection.

ok then, cheers now i just need to find a monitor;P

Deleted
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Ultrash...7065835&sr=1-9

The Dell IPS panels are very good, I got one around 4 years ago. I recently got a secondary 24" LED LG monitor & the colour quality is so much better on my Dell one.

Definitely get an IPS panel, everything will just look inferior in comparison afterwards (which in some ways is a curse if you have to use any other monitor!!).

Would that monitor be the best choice for gaming then ?

Deleted
    I don't know if that is the best. All I am saying is get an IPS panel for sure, the difference is just ridiculous. There are others on the market like this for instance. I don't profess to be an expert on these things I am just saying from my experience the Dell monitor is very good & IPS panels are well worth the extra over a TN panel.

You see when I look at this webpage on my LG LED LCD (lol) the top part is a much darker green compared to the bottom part. However when I look at it from my other monitor the colour is the same from top to bottom. I really cannot stress enough the difference this makes. It's not something you can solve either - make the screen brighter and the colours at the bottom just get washed out.
    Last edited by mmoc053e24f82b; 2013-01-02 at 01:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Halaberiel View Post
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Ultrash...7065835&sr=1-9

The Dell IPS panels are very good, I got one around 4 years ago. I recently got a secondary 24" LED LG monitor & the colour quality is so much better on my Dell one.

Definitely get an IPS panel, everything will just look inferior in comparison afterwards (which in some ways is a curse if you have to use any other monitor!!).
    I highly recommend this monitor.

I am using 3 of them in Eyefinity Portrait mode and the colors are phenomenal and the display is crisp and bright. It doesn't have the gloss finish on it either, which makes it not as blinding, unless you turn the brightness way up.

The refresh rate is plenty fast for gaming, even FPS games. The display is adjustable, which is quite nice, and you can do DVI, VGA, or Display Port.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you wanted something a little cheaper then i recommend
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-S24B...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t
    I got 3 while it was on sale but even for £120 id still buy it again. Probably not as technically good as others people have mentioned, but i still think the picture is amazing, plus it looks great on my desk.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterec View Post
    Well, HDMI and DVI are image vise the same up to the cap of the HDMI. You will not go over that so it is entirely up to you what you use as a connection.
    HDMI is backward-compatible with single-link Digital Visual Interface digital video (DVI-D or DVI-I, but not DVI-A). No signal conversion is required when an adapter or asymmetric cable is used, so there is no loss of video quality.[5]

From a user's perspective, an HDMI display can be driven by a single-link DVI-D source, since HDMI and DVI-D define an overlapping minimum set of supported resolutions and framebuffer formats to ensure a basic level of interoperability. In the reverse case a DVI-D monitor would have the same level of basic interoperability unless there are content protection issues with High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP), not supported by DVI, or the HDMI color encoding is in component color space YCbCr which is not supported by DVI, instead of RGB. An HDMI source such as a Blu-ray player may demand HDCP-compliance of the display, and refuse to output HDCP-protected content to a non-compliant display.[91] A further complication is that there is a small amount of display equipment, such as some high-end home theater projectors, designed with HDMI inputs but not HDCP-compliant.

Features specific to HDMI, such as remote-control and audio transport, are not available in devices that use legacy DVI-D signalling. However, many devices output HDMI over a DVI connector (e.g., ATI 3000-series and NVIDIA GTX 200-series video cards),[5] and some multimedia displays may accept HDMI (including audio) over a DVI input. Exact capabilities beyond basic compatibility vary from product to product.

Deleted
    I would second the Dell Monitor linked by Halaberiel and Shadowdeath. I own the predecessor, the Dell 2311h, a very nice monitor for the casual gamer, which is what I am.

At the time my monitor cost me £200, so paying £160 for a monitor which is practically identical seems like a bargain.

Its not a gaming monitor mind, but you'll find it a massive improvement over your previous display.