Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wowalixi View Post
    I don't use it in every sentence, but in-game or via text I can get pretty bad with the lol. I usually use it when I'm being sarcastic or making a joke that has a tone that could be taken offensively. I also use it to show slight amusement at something. I rarely laugh IRL when I say lol. Mostly it means you amused me or I find it humorous. If I chuckle I put LOL, and if I straight up laugh I'll put lmao or rofl.
    Now I'm no psychologist, but consider the following:

If you feel the need you have to type "lol" just so you're sure the other party knows whatever you're saying is meant to be taken lightly, then isn't that just another form of insecurity?
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

then/than and were/we're

Quote Originally Posted by Tribunal View Post
    Some of you people wailing over the death of all language over a single "definately" need to seriously reconsider your outlook.

Do you think Noam Chomsky just types out perfectly proof-read manuscripts? Implying that someone doesn't care about language or grammar if they ever dare to make a simple mistake is asinine at best, malicious at worst.
    I'm ok with typos. It happens to us all. I'm just tired of the butchering of the words to some three lettered simplistic definition of what the word should be. If it should be an acronym or contraction, then make it so. If it is already two letters like OK, then typing k by itself implies laziness. Take a half a second to type the o that goes with it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post

If you feel the need you have to type "lol" just so you're sure the other party knows whatever you're saying is meant to be taken lightly, then isn't that just another form of insecurity?
    I rather think it's caused by people being uptight and not paying attention, hence missing the joke otherwise and going mad. Simple self defence.

Rouge,Worgan for me.

Tried to save the Worgen but alas.

Quote Originally Posted by HeroZero View Post
    this isn't technically in the bounds of this discussion but pl0x... i wish to do terrible, harmful things to every person that uses it in a serious manner.
    I add them to ignore, same as I report everyone that does that wonderful "anal (linked ability)" every time, report them every every time...

Those that are coupled with the retorts of players trying to correct the spelling, punctuation and grammatical errors of others.

Some of you people wailing over the death of all language over a single "definately" need to seriously reconsider your outlook.

Do you think Noam Chomsky just types out perfectly proof-read manuscripts? Implying that someone doesn't care about language or grammar if they ever dare to make a simple mistake is asinine at best, malicious at worst.

Edit: OT, I tend to notice glaring issues but I rarely say anything or really care that much. Honestly, if you have a fit over these errors every time you'd be putting yourself in danger of an aneurysm, they're simply too common.
    A couple of things. First off, I'd like to say that everytime someone makes a glaring mistake I don't have a fit and start raging and throwing things. It's more like "that's kind of annoying." It's almost like a baby whining on an airplane to me. It makes my ears prick and I kind of get uncomfortable, but I'm not going to walk over and yell at the kid and slap him or anything.

Secondly, I don't get annoyed at typos. Some typos are obvious, like the definately from earlier, or the one I make almost all the time when I type separate (I tend to spell it seperate). But I don't think, in your example, that Noam Chamsky types out a manuscript with short-hand for every word and trying to make new words fit old definitions, etc. I'm sure any writer, even in their rough drafts, has the ability to use "you're" correctly and to spell "today" and not "2day."

I don't know, maybe? I think it's just a defense mechanism built up from years of playing on the internet where every word that you say can be taken and twisted and turned against you. Also, I know some pretty petty people who love to jump on any chance they get to be mad at other people.

I'm going to add something else. Whenever someone in LFR is trying to attack you for being a poor player or whatever and they type "your an idiot." I'm like......wat
    Last edited by IxilaFA; 2013-01-02 at 03:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate it when people on MMO-C attempt to correct someone's spelling and they use the word "spelt" in their sentence.

It's a sad world that I live in.

Quote Originally Posted by Klutzington View Post
    I hate it when people on MMO-C attempt to correct someone's spelling and they use the word "spelt" in their sentence.

It's a sad world that I live in.
    http://grammarist.com/spelling/spelled-spelt

I'm always having some typing mistake while typing recepie for recipe or recepient for recipient xD
    "E" and "A" letters really confusing me
    like calendar, most annoying word ever!

BTW, inscriptionist is a proper word according to the etymology rules
    Last edited by Jackkernaut; 2013-01-02 at 03:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    While not FULLY WoW related, but people who are too lazy to type out a whole, very simple sentance "wen r u coming ova" ect. ect. But if I had to keep it to WoW alone, things like "u" rather than "you", "rouge" it is ROGUE! Anywho rant over (if one could even consider this to be a rant)
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

There's a huge difference between knowing the correct spelling but just making a mistake and not knowing what's correct at all.

These people are not simply making mistakes. They are ignorant of what is correct because they're too damned lazy to put forth the effort to learn it.
    Humans are the only species on the planet smart enough to be this stupid.

Mine isnt really a spelling mistake, just horrid shortning.

Dung for dungeons.
    "oh lets do some pile of crap"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JackTheLad View Post
    I'm always having some typing mistake while typing recepie for recipe or recepient for recipient xD

We're playing in Azeroth, a fantasy world. Even if inscriptionist is correct(ish), Scribe just seems more appropriate.

---------- Post added 2013-01-02 at 04:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    Mine isnt really a spelling mistake, just horrid shortning.

Dung for dungeons.
    "oh lets do some pile of crap"
    WOTLK era: "Let's do a random heroic dungeon" --> "Let's do a randy!" (giggity)
    Cata era: "Let's do a random Cataclysm heroic dungeon" --> "Let's do a candy!" (hurrr)
    MoP era: "Let's do a random Pandaria heroic dungeon" --> "Let's do a Pandy!" (begyopardon?)
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

10+ Year Old Account
    As foreigner it particularly hurts when I see natives unable to master their own language at a rather simple level. I mean, I make mistakes. But at least it's not my native language.
    Yet simple things, come on. really?...

Duel Wield - that one hurts really bad... The difference between Duel and Dual is like night and day.

Exhaulted - ouch.... really? That's not even close to a typo... It's just lack of language.

Chanter - That one bugs me. I immediately picture some indians dancing around a bonfire chanting ancient tunes.

Well, and the usual suspects as in: Then/Than, Your/You're etc.

The trendy "speech" is also rather dumb appealing. TEH. etc... purposely misspelling doesn't make you any cooler, it just doesn't.

And the all time classic, but that rather amuses me, than it would bother me. Someone who is lacking manner, trying to cuss others out and then misspells the cuss words.
    That right there is a priceless one. Since there's a clear relation between the amount of resort to cuss words, and the level of intelligence and education, the misspell just shows it so nice.

---------- Post added 2013-01-02 at 09:48 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by JackTheLad View Post

Blizzard defined them as scribes.. yet I have no problem with inscriptionist, if someone has to use all that many more letters lol....
    The calendar i had to battle a long time. The German spelling is Kalender. See the trap I triggered for a long time? lol

Mistakes? I thought bad spelling was the local dialect.

Deleted
    Used to raid with a mage who would ask for a "stamgina" buff.

Eventually someone exploded with laughter on comms and explained the error of her ways

10+ Year Old Account
    Gota be "Sha up" for me,it sounds like a essex person arguing with somebody,example = "LF GROUP SHA UP" "NO YOU SHA UP" "NO YOU SHA UP YOU SLAG" "NO REALLY YOU SHA UP"

Oh and old hatreds are "loose" and "rouge" "pwn" instead of "own" i mean its one letter over ya lazy sod! And on the subject of "ownage" i don't know how that phrase came to be as you cant really "own" anybody,not without legal papers anyways...

Deleted
    WOTLK era: "Let's do a random heroic dungeon" --> "Let's do a randy!" (giggity)
    Cata era: "Let's do a random Cataclysm heroic dungeon" --> "Let's do a candy!" (hurrr)
    MoP era: "Let's do a random Pandaria heroic dungeon" --> "Let's do a Pandy!" (begyopardon?)
    BC era: bundy? :P

The worst spelling mistake by far is the misuse of the word "of" in place of "have", as in would of, could of.
    Other bad ones are: u for you, r for are, are for our, hai for hi, bl for heroism, 1kg for 1000g, orly for oh really.
    Calling Heroic "Hardmode" is another slapworthy one.