Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
LastLast
  1. #41
    The Unstoppable Force Rukentuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mini Soda
    Posts
    24,436
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    cant stand the ... stalking
    I don't know California law, but at least by my state is isn't stalking by a legal definition.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.

    Cycling Logs: 2012, 2013, 2014 (YTD-9.30).

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I don't know California law, but at least by my state is isn't stalking by a legal definition.
    well, there is frequently a big difference between a legal definition and a more realistic one. mainly because legal definitions have to be able to be enforced
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

    Same as the old derp.

  3. #43
    The Unstoppable Force Rukentuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mini Soda
    Posts
    24,436
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    well, there is frequently a big difference between a legal definition and a more realistic one. mainly because legal definitions have to be able to be enforced
    Frankly, if I were a celebrity I'd be more concerned about the people not wielding cameras.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.

    Cycling Logs: 2012, 2013, 2014 (YTD-9.30).

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    Does anyone else feel that even if it is his fault, it's a sad time we live in when people care so much about celebrities? Who cares what people who star in movies do in real life? Why does anyone care?!?
    It is depressing that society cares that much about celebrities, yes, but you can't really put the blame on anyone but himself.

  5. #45
    The thing is that it's the paparazzi as a whole that's functioning as a stalker; of course individuals won't meet the definition. But yeah. Doesn't really change anything.

  6. #46
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    17,960
    A stag, a stag, a runnable stag!

    +10 points to anyone who actually gets that reference without Google.
    Well 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
    Because you look so fine
    And I really wanna make you mine

  7. #47
    His fault. The ethics question about the cult of fame is a separate issue.

  8. #48
    The Unstoppable Force Rukentuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mini Soda
    Posts
    24,436
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    +10 points to anyone who actually gets that reference without Google.
    Keep in mind like a certain TV show, the points don't matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.

    Cycling Logs: 2012, 2013, 2014 (YTD-9.30).

  9. #49
    The Lightbringer Deadvolcanoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    3,599
    My wife is pretty into the celebrity culture. She's a big fan of Kim Kardashian, watches the show, etc. It's something she enjoys, it makes her happy.

    Who the fuck am I to say whether or not me playing video games for fun is any less retarded than following the celebrity culture for fun.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

  10. #50
    Herald of the Titans Geminiwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Demon Realm
    Posts
    2,624
    I guess trying to get a picture of Justin Bieber was...

    *puts on sunglasses*

    to die for.
    Last edited by Geminiwolf; 2013-01-02 at 04:48 PM.
    “Ever wonder why ice cubes taste so boring? It’s cuz you make ‘em outta stupid water, you bimbo! Put some fruit juice in there and freeze it into ice cubes, and put THAT in your milk.”
    "One small mankind and I'm gonna leap the heck outta this moon rocket." - Kneel Aurmstrang
    For your health.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    The dude was not paying attention to traffic. That's it. It was his own fault.

    Society is at as much fault as cell phones are for making idiots cross the street against the light because they're too busy texting: none at all.
    While you are right to say that it is everyones own responsibility to watch out for traffic, I wouldn't say that society is not to blame.

    In what kind of world do we live in? There are lies all over us. Politicians lie (how ridiculous was the presidential race in the US please? And it will be just as awful in Germany, when the new Kanzler is being elected.. Politics =/= truth), magazines lie about how a human being should look like by photoshopping all the flaws away. Equality also is a lie. It looks like everybody in democratic countries has a say, but eventually we are governed by money and power. It's only another form of totalitarism. All we people are supposed to do is to fit in. News often are lies (using pictures for a story that don't have anything to do with it or are out of context only for the sake of it being "news"). I mean.. It's lies that make us go outside and buy and consume stuff. It's all lies. We are nothing but a little piece in a huge system that cares not a single bit about veracity.

    Justin Bieber, for example, is nothing but a product. He is no autonomous being but a walking heteronomy. He needs to be sold. And this Paparazzo was doing just this. Nothing else. He was selling a person. But he was not to blame for that. It's the lack of identity we are suffering from. But we (not all ofc, but the bulk of people) hope to gain that from people like JB. And some even go complete nuts over this.

    It's time for a further Age of Enlightment. Society must not indoctrinate! Sapere aude.


    Happy new year!

  12. #52
    The Lightbringer Deadvolcanoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    3,599
    Quote Originally Posted by JayJay09 View Post
    While you are right to say that it is everyones own responsibility to watch out for traffic, I wouldn't say that society is not to blame.

    In what kind of world do we live in? There are lies all over us. Politicians lie (how ridiculous was the presidential race in the US please? And it will be just as awful in Germany, when the new Kanzler is being elected.. Politics =/= truth), magazines lie about how a human being should look like by photoshopping all the flaws away. Equality also is a lie. It looks like everybody in democratic countries has a say, but eventually we are governed by money and power. It's only another form of totalitarism. All we people are supposed to do is to fit in. News often are lies (using pictures for a story that don't have anything to do with it or are out of context only for the sake of it being "news"). I mean.. It's lies that make us go outside and buy and consume stuff. It's all lies. We are nothing but a little piece in a huge system that cares not a single bit about veracity.

    Justin Bieber, for example, is nothing but a product. He is no autonomous being but a walking heteronomy. He needs to be sold. And this Paparazzo was doing just this. Nothing else. He was selling a person. But he was not to blame for that. It's the lack of identity we are suffering from. But we (not all ofc, but the bulk of people) hope to gain that from people like JB. And some even go complete nuts over this.

    It's time for a further Age of Enlightment. Society must not indoctrinate! Sapere aude.


    Happy new year!
    Blaming society is what's wrong with society.

    People need to start taking personal responsibility for their actions. No one made this guy become a paparazzi. No one made him cross the street to take pictures. These decisions were his, and his only.

    Stop blaming inanimate objects, and start blaming people.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    Blaming society is what's wrong with society.

    People need to start taking personal responsibility for their actions. No one made this guy become a paparazzi. No one made him cross the street to take pictures. These decisions were his, and his only.

    Stop blaming inanimate objects, and start blaming people.
    That's exactly what I was saying. Exactly. You just didn't get it. (I don't mean that offensively).

  14. #54
    Note to the papps.. make sure intended target of photo is actually in the car.. otherwise, you may very well die for nothing.. like this guy.

  15. #55
    The 18 year old Bieber has a Ferrari. Yeah I know he's rich and all that but grah. A freaking Ferrari. I don't know about anybody else but that's the part of the article that caught my eye. A paparazzo was killed because he was being a dumb. k.

    Beiber has a Ferrari. Yes. I am jelly. Also if I had that kind of money I'd find a better place to spend it.

    But that's me :P

  16. #56
    Pandaren Monk Freia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    1,819
    The photographer's death is his own fault.

  17. #57
    Bloodsail Admiral bekilrwale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sarasota Fl.
    Posts
    1,148
    Dying because you tried to get a picture of Justin Bieber has to be the second worst death imaginable, right behind dying after getting a picture of Justin Bieber. It was entirely his fault for not watching traffic though, no way to argue it.
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    The dude was not paying attention to traffic. That's it. It was his own fault.

    Society is at as much fault as cell phones are for making idiots cross the street against the light because they're too busy texting: none at all.
    I've actually seen someone walk out right in front of a BUS because they were too busy texting. They took a couple of flips, bounced off the pavement a few times and then shook on the ground like they were having a seizure. It was pretty scary. I read about it in the newspaper the next day and the person was actually fine, no broken bones, just a few bruises, and the police actually cited the person with jay walking.

    On topic: The paparazzo chose to take his life into his own hands crossing a busy freeway. If he feels compelled as part of his job to do that, that's his own business. My job often puts me in dangerous positions but I'm always incredibly cautious about it.

  19. #59
    Mechagnome Draqson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    5th Reich; Germany
    Posts
    720
    You might not have noticed it, but you already answered your own question:
    why did you mention bieber?... he is of no importance to your point, so why even mention him?
    I can think of a simple reason: attention.

    celebreties are drawing attention like blackholes... and your thread is drawing much more attention just because you mentioned bieber...
    and well, for some reason in this society you can make money with attention... a magazine with pictures of famous people sell better than a magazine with well-written articles.

    Its hard to explain why people care so much... I could tell you why I care so much for my favourite tennisplayers... they inspire me, they impress me with their play and sportsmanship and in addition some female players are visually pleasing... thus I would enjoy good pictures of them.

    Ask yourself why you care for your favourite artist, actor or athlete...

    Well and in this case, Justin Bieber is incredibly polarising... nearly everyone has a opinion on him, thats why he sells so good...
    though in my opinion, people who pay $ just for gossip must have some issues... that they need to talk about others, just because they are so utterly insignificant...
    Last edited by Draqson; 2013-01-02 at 05:41 PM.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    Does anyone else feel that even if it is his fault, it's a sad time we live in when people care so much about celebrities? Who cares what people who star in movies do in real life? Why does anyone care?!?

    I do think in the end though it is his fault for making a stupid choice, but the element of society does exist, you can't deny that.
    These are sad times for much better reasons that that.

    We had a channel conceived of and started out to be for mostly educational purposes, done with a hint of entertainment. Now look at the list of shows on The Learning Channel http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/tv/tv-shows.htm

    Proof that we are rapidly declining into the civilization depicted in the documentary "Idiocracy" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBvIweCIgwk
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •