Poll: Soda or Pop?

Thread: Soda or Pop?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Giants41 View Post
    Hey guys, so i'm from New York and everyone here calls soda "soda." I was talking to my cousin from Minnesota on the phone and i don't remember how it got brought up but he said something to the effect of "let me go grab a pop." I knew they called soda a different name in Europe but not the U.S. So i'm wondering do you call it "Soda or "Pop" or something else entirely?
    Coke. There is no other option.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    Here in Cincinnati most people say pop, some of us say soda. I tend to say soda but I know for a fact I have said pop as well lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Always SODA.

I lived in Washington State for a few years (after living in Southern California my whole life prior), and in the more rural areas of WA they call it pop. IT DRIVES ME BATTY!

POP IS WHAT A DAMN WEASEL DOES, NOT SOMETHING YOU DRINK!
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

The only drink like that I drink is Coke, occasionally Sprite. I just call it Coke or Sprite... lol.

If I had to choose between soda or pop, definitely pop.

Pretty sure soda is a North American term.

10+ Year Old Account
    People in GA call everything coke too. Confused the hell out of my wife, who is from Ohio, when we first started living together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    People in GA call everything coke too. Confused the hell out of my wife, who is from Ohio, when we first started living together.
    Go to Turner Field and ask for a Pepsi sometime. It's amusing.
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

here in aussie land we call it soft drink, fizzy drink or lemonade. "What flavor lemonade do you want?"

I'm in NJ, USA we call it "soda." Normally at restuarants it's called a "soft drink" or "fountain drink." I know in the south where I'm from "pop" or "sodapop" is used. I only drink Dr Pepper or if I'm desperate Mr Pibb.

---------- Post added 2013-01-04 at 12:37 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Chonogo View Post
    In Alabama:

"Want a coke?"
    "Sure."
    "What kind?"
    "I'll take a Dr. Pepper, thanks."
    Suddenly, Everyone in this thread realizes that Dr Pepper is its own company. And it is bottled under the authority of Pepsi or Coke depending on where you live. Here in NJ, it is bottled by Coke, yet when I'm visiting Ghettysburg, PA it is in the Pepsi machines. :O

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    What are you talking about? I was referring to ordering a coke vs a pepsi
    Your post didn't specify as much.

Also, how is it less pretentious to say 'Coke' instead of 'Pepsi'?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    I'm in NJ, USA we call it "soda." Normally at restuarants it's called a "soft drink" or "fountain drink." I know in the south where I'm from "pop" or "sodapop" is used. I only drink Dr Pepper or if I'm desperate Mr Pibb.

---------- Post added 2013-01-04 at 12:37 AM ----------

Suddenly, Everyone in this thread realizes that Dr Pepper is its own company. And it is bottled under the authority of Pepsi or Coke depending on where you live. Here in NJ, it is bottled by Coke, yet when I'm visiting Ghettysburg, PA it is in the Pepsi machines. :O
    Doesn't matter. In Georgia, everything is Coke. Except Pepsi, which is creek water.

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone said already, a lot of us here in Canada call it pop, but it seems that ever since I quit the stuff a few years ago and turned to iced tea I've been calling it soda :O
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    people in texas call everything coke.
    It's funny because it's true... I call it soda. Or heck, I usually say what brand I want like "Pepsi" or Mountain Dew"

10+ Year Old Account
    Its Soda Pop. end of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Your post didn't specify as much.

Also, how is it less pretentious to say 'Coke' instead of 'Pepsi'?
    It isn't really, I was being intentionally facetious. This is why we can't have nice things.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HeroZero View Post
    Its Soda Pop. end of story.
    I know some older people who call it that. I remember my grandpa used to.
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

Yeah in Australia it's "soft drink" or "fizzy drink". "Soda" is very rare, sounds extremely American. "Pop" is just bizarre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Giants41 View Post
    Say you were saying like "what kinda of "soda" do you like" What word would you use?
    I call everything by its brand name. If I had to ask someone what they wanted I would probably ask "Do you want a coke?" and they would either say yes or ask for something else.

15+ Year Old Account
    Texas, so "coke" in general, but a lot of that is also because I drink Coke as my soda of choice.

I usually just call it by name "Coke or Pepsi, whichever you have". Or say "sodas" if I need to refer to the collective in a general sense, although sometimes "cokes" slips in.

We're not quite as bad about it as some people make us out to be, but I have also legitimately seen the "I'll have a coke." "Which kind?" exchange happen, so there's that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    its a midwest thing to call it pop, coasts call it soda, and south calls everything coke because they are (expletive deleted).
    Pretty much this. Do not even start me on that South Carolina folk and their peanuts and coke. Sigh.
    "If I recall correctly I just posted that this topic is not to be discussed any further." -Ensidia Fanclub Founder

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mjolnir1122 View Post
    I call it soda. The only time I use the word pop is when I say "I'm going to pop you in the mouth if you call it pop again". See what I did there?
    You and me both.

We can even get technical. The full term is 'Soda Pop'. Unless you're in the military, or have some weird desire to call things by their last name, the 'short' way to say it would be 'Soda', the first part of the term. Calling it pop makes you look silly, and makes me want to give you a reason to say it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.